Wrc (1 Viewer)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Well you gotta give it to Loeb coz that was a masterful display. Look at Marko he's really good but the chances of finishing a rally are slim. Ditto Gronholm.
I gather you are pug fan. I think the 307 is extremely ugly but potent. It's already shown that speed is no problem so when they sort out the reliability issues it will be a force to reckon with. The question is - Will they be able to do it quickly enough?
I am also somewhat excited about the new Subaru coming in Mexico. I hope it will be a smooth transition.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
venom

venom

Oct 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #22
    Well, I'm pretty much fan of every Finn. About that 307, Marcus said in Monte Carlo it lacked top speed so hopefully they'll get it better before august :D

Speaking of reliability, look at Mitsubishi. After testing it for a year they don't find a working gearbox :confused:

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by venom ] ++
    Well, I'm pretty much fan of every Finn. About that 307, Marcus said in Monte Carlo it lacked top speed so hopefully they'll get it better before august :D
    Well it seems to have the speed now. He won quite a number of stages.

Speaking of reliability, look at Mitsubishi. After testing it for a year they don't find a working gearbox :confused:
    And to imagine that they were four times world champs :rolleyes:

OP
    venom

venom

Oct 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #24
    ++ [ originally posted by DaJuve ] ++
    And to imagine that they were four times world champs :rolleyes:
    Mainly thanks to Mäkinen. After those days WRC has changed a lot though. Grönholm came and introduced a new way to drive fast(er).

Oh, next stop Mexico, same weekend as the third race of our national championship.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    I think Peugeot came up with an irresistible package for a while - The mighty silver bullet! and Gronholm did justice to it.
    Makinen is my all time favourite driver. Damn lucky I saw him in Kenya too. God what I would give for the Safari to be brought back.
    What type of gravel is in Mexico?

OP
    venom

venom

Oct 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #26
    I have no idea about the roads of Mexico, but IIRC when Rovanperä drove that couple of years back he compared it to Cyprus/Acropolis/Turkey. If that was the case then expect lots of retirements.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Not Cyprus :wallbang: The slowest rally event of the season! But looks good for Subaru & I hope Hirvonen will pick up some points too.
    When did you start following the WRC?

OP
    venom

venom

Oct 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #28
    I've been following rallying since I was lil kid (early-mid 80's). First memory is Mikkola and his Quattro. Salonen's championship title is there in my earliest memories too. And the tragic loss of Toivonen.

Now just wondering if Tuohino gets a car for that Corona Rally Mexico or will I see him in Mikkeli (national championship). That Mexico seems to be also in group N calendar.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Them mad group B cars :drool: Them ol' good days :D I started pretty much at the same time although I used to tag along to all the Safari rallies in the 70's.

I think Touhino got Sweden most probably as he is really good there. I would imagine Duval to be back on points & 2 Fords only.

OP
    venom

venom

Oct 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #30
    Them mad group B cars :drool: Them ol' good days :D
    I think it was Alén who said once in an interview that now I have a car which doesn't need anymore power :D

I think Touhino got Sweden most probably as he is really good there. I would imagine Duval to be back on points & 2 Fords only.
    I think so too.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Rally Mexico: Rally Overview

WRC heads down Mexico way!

The Rally of Mexico seems to contain every cliché that you can think off: large cacti, larger sombreros, scorching chilli con carne, and lethal tequila. The event is sponsored by beer manufacturer Corona, which should make things go with even more of a swing.

The event is new to the calendar this season, but it has been successfully observed by the FIA for the past two years. Harri Rovanpera was the winner in a factory Peugeot in 2002, and he has fond memories of the place.

"It's a really nice rally," says Harri. "It's quite normal gravel, but I was surprised that the roads weren't rougher. It reminds me a bit of Argentina. About 80 percent of the roads are smooth and fast, while the other 20 percent has loose rocks and stones - a bit like Acropolis but not quite so bad. If you push too hard, it's easy to make mistakes."

No effort has been spared to make sure that Mexico's World Championship debut proceeds smoothly. Rally headquarters is in Leon - the capital of Mexico's leather industry, in the centre of the country. The service park is completely undercover, in Leon's Poliforum. This exhibition centre will also house all the administrative offices, and it's surrounded by large hotels. For the teams, it couldn't be easier. The enthusiasm of the organisers is second to none and the entire Guanajuato region lives and breathes the rally throughout the time it is on.

Rally Mexico promises to be a truly breath-taking spectacle.

Source - www.wrc.com

OP
    venom

venom

Oct 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #33
    Just heard that Rovanperä gets 307-seat to Mexico, brilliant!

OP
    venom

venom

Oct 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #35
    That Rovanperä-case could be something bigger than just one rally, b/c I read somewhere that McRae (Colin) is being rumoured to be Grönholm's new teammate and Loix gets the boot. So if Rovanperä does well in this rally it wouldn't be that simple for McRae to get that seat. I have been puzzled by that signing of Loix anyway, but kicking him out would be even more surprising. I don't think Peugeot pays anything to him and it's the main sponsor who is the employer of Loix, remember his past best days? Mitsubishi and color of the car was? kinda same as current Peugeot, wasn't it. In that situation I believe Rovanperä has one foot ahead of McRae.

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
    Rally Mexico: normal gravel, 80 % of the roads are smooth and fast, hmmm..... very interesting.
    Loeb is good at alpalth, I think he'd like this challenge. He's got a great spirit and passion this season after dissapointing rally last season, err...who knows he could make a hattrick in Mexico!

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    That Rovanperä-case could be something bigger than just one rally, b/c I read somewhere that McRae (Colin) is being rumoured to be Grönholm's new teammate and Loix gets the boot. So if Rovanperä does well in this rally it wouldn't be that simple for McRae to get that seat. I have been puzzled by that signing of Loix anyway, but kicking him out would be even more surprising. I don't think Peugeot pays anything to him and it's the main sponsor who is the employer of Loix, remember his past best days? Mitsubishi and color of the car was? kinda same as current Peugeot, wasn't it. In that situation I believe Rovanperä has one foot ahead of McRae.
    Hmm Interesting. The signing of Loix was perpetuated by the FIA with their crappy & ever changing rules. First it was 3 drivers & 3rd driver must not have been on a podium finish for the past 3 years. Peugeot had Gronholm & Rovanpera so it seemed they had made a major killing by signing Loix as he was the most qualified 3rd driver. After a series of poor performances Peugeot fired Rovanpera. Step in FIA and new rules again. This time teams were limited to two cars per rally effectively rendering the 3 drivers rule useless. Peugeot got stuck with Loix.
    It's still stupid though how they are treating him.

++ [ originally posted by Febrina ] ++
    Rally Mexico: normal gravel, 80 % of the roads are smooth and fast, hmmm..... very interesting.
    Loeb is good at alpalth, I think he'd like this challenge. He's got a great spirit and passion this season after dissapointing rally last season, err...who knows he could make a hattrick in Mexico!
    Hey Anna. :) Yes Rally Mexico will be very interesting indeed. Loeb on a hattrick - I sure hope not :D But seeing that he performed well in Australia last season anything can happen not mentioining reliability of Citroens. Am hoping for the first win for Petter though.

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
    I've been following rallying since I was lil kid (early-mid 80's). First memory is Mikkola and his Quattro. Salonen's championship title is there in my earliest memories too. And the tragic loss of Toivonen.
    That's cool Venom! Don't forget Ari Vatanen too :thumb:
    yes, my dad always said that the best drivers always come from Finland.:D
    well, he's not a big fan of WRC but he follows F-1, Kimi and Mika are his fav driver :)

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002

Hmm Interesting. The signing of Loix was perpetuated by the FIA with their crappy & ever changing rules. First it was 3 drivers & 3rd driver must not have been on a podium finish for the past 3 years. Peugeot had Gronholm & Rovanpera so it seemed they had made a major killing by signing Loix as he was the most qualified 3rd driver. After a series of poor performances Peugeot fired Rovanpera. Step in FIA and new rules again. This time teams were limited to two cars per rally effectively rendering the 3 drivers rule useless. Peugeot got stuck with Loix.
    It's still stupid though how they are treating him.
    I hate the new rules, just can't forget how Colin couldn't get any postiton in Citroen team this season because of this rules. It's good to know that he'll be Gronholm's teammate, well...not a good news for Citroen actually:down:

Hey Anna. :) Yes Rally Mexico will be very interesting indeed. Loeb on a hattrick - I sure hope not :D But seeing that he performed well in Australia last season anything can happen not mentioining reliability of Citroens. Am hoping for the first win for Petter though.
    Petter and gravel, oh no! :scared:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)