World Cup Lounge (5 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
denco said:
Amazing that of the 4 semi finalists, Italy, Portugal and France will tell you if they are very honest, that this is not their finest ever teams and incredibly they have done better than their predecessors. I would never have thought this azzurri team will get to semi and here they are with a great chance of getting to the final with arguably plenty ordinary players like Materazzi, Perrotta, Iaquinta, Barzagli, Grosso, Zaccardo, Gilardino.
Totti, Inzaghi and Dp past their best but look at where they are.
France, Malouda is very ordinary as are Wiltord and Givou , Abidal is no Lizarazu, Sangol is just decent , Zz though has played well is past his very best, Henry is not the force for France that he is for arsenal, Ribery is no Pires . Thuram is past it and Vieira ,though very decent is not the same force he was once. Barthez is still very shaky but has only conceded twice and 1 goal was a penalty.
Portugal have a slightly past it Figo, ordinary players like Petit, Tiago, Miera, Nuno Valente, Postiga, Viana. A grossly overrated Simao. Miguel with the worst final ball you are likely to see and Pauletta who does nothing against decent defenders and here they are in the semis
Only Germany have a better team than they have had in 10 years.
Is the world cup getting worse as 2002 had no memorable game whatsoever whilst this one has 3 semi finalists that might not have gotten there if they met decent sides of the past.
Great assessment, denco. :tup:

My only disagreement is whether finalists in the past WCs were arguably that much better than the final fours of more recent ones.

Each team in the final four this WC have had their serious obstacles getting here: Italy and the scandal, Germany and their identity crisis post-Völler, France and their aging stars and debilitating coach, Portugal and their cultural history of underachievement. And yet each has found new strengths to overcome them: motivation from adversity, home fan support who could express a sort of football nationalism without the dubious historical implications, leadership from a historical star ever-putting off his last cap, a successful coach that got a team to believe in itself.

And in getting here, some of these teams overcame some of the supposed best national teams of generations. Even Brazil '06 was supposed to rival if not exceed the legend of the Brazil '70 team. And to be honest, only in half of their match against Japan did I see glimpses of this supposed utter domination in this WC.

So I'm withholding judgement on whether or not the WC is getting poorer over time. I think what we're seeing is that there might be a little more competition from the middle and even lower ranks over what we saw in the past. Which is what you'd expect as the globalization of football continues.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Bah. It's hardly Carlos' fault that Brazil is always sending their wingbacks up to attack the flanks. He was probably lunging at the France goal when Zidane released the kick from the spot. :p

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Juninho quits international scene
Brazil midfielder Juninho Pernambucano has announced his international retirement and believes a number of his team-mates should follow suit.

The Olympique Lyonnais playmaker feels youngsters must be given a chance after the World Cup defeat by France.

Juninho, 31, said: "The national team is over for me and those of us over 30 have to leave a place for the younger players to make a new team for 2010.

"We have to think about the young guys and build up another team."

Brazil stars such as Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Gilberto, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ricardinho and keepers Dida and Rogerio Ceni are all the wrong side of 30.

The reigning world champions went out of the competition with a whimper to a France team that was criticised in its own country for having too many old players.

However, Juninho added: "There is total sadness but this is not the time to appoint blame, we all lost."

Story from BBC SPORT

Carlos quits international scene
Brazil defender Roberto Carlos has announced his retirement from international football.

The 33-year-old left-back featured in Brazil's 1-0 defeat against France on Saturday which sent the South Americans out of the World Cup.

The Real Madrid star amassed 132 caps and scored 11 goals since making his international debut in 1993 and featured in three World Cups.

"I've stopped with the national team," he said. "It was my last game."

He was a regular in the Brazil side that won the 2002 World Cup in Japan and Korea and also won the Copa America in 1997 and 1999, the Confederations Cup in 1997, and a bronze medal at the 1996 Olympics.

Carlos missed out on a place in the squad for the USA 94 World Cup when Brazil went on to win their fourth title.

And in 1998 he was again denied his chance of World Cup success when France claimed the trophy in Paris with a 3-0 victory in the final.

But in 2002 he finally lifted the trophy when Brazil beat Germany 2-0 in the final.

Carlos had previously said he intended to play on for his country for several more seasons.

Story from BBC SPORT

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
roberto carlos has 11 international goals.ive always heard that cabrini holds the international record for most goals by a defender,which is 9.roberto carlos is a defender too - theoretically atleast.so shouldnt the goal scoring record for a defender be his?

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Its just amazing how big a selection of players Brazil has,any other national team would be in a state of crisis of a host of top players were to retire.They will build an awesome squad come 2010 & they will be on top of their game as usual.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)