World Cup Lounge (12 Viewers)

jorossian

Jun 29, 2006
mnementh said:
from the clips I saw, Lennon seemed great. I wonder why he didn't start ahead of beckham in the first place.
I agree. :agree:

However I have to wonder what percentage of that was due to his having such fresh legs while the rest of the team was running around in 85degF temps for 60 minutes longer than he did.

Beckham's fitness level didn't impress me though. Everyone was suffereing, but he seemed to show it the most.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Erik said:
So if I were to plant my football boot straight into your nuts you wouldn't arrest me?

Interesting... :D
no...a beatdown would come FIRST !!!!:D

correct me if I'm wrong (and it wouldnt be the first time :p ), but I thought Rooney got the red for shoving C. Ronaldo

Could Wayne have crushed the family jewels on accident, trying to get his footing ??

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
Vinman said:

correct me if I'm wrong (and it wouldnt be the first time :p ), but I thought Rooney got the red for shoving C. Ronaldo

Could Wayne have crushed the family jewels on accident, trying to get his footing ??

he could of and i think he did, but i will say i'd rather be ronaldo there then canna when he miss played the ball and got it square in the nuts. he just got up and laughed it off after about 2 minutes, im surprised he got up so quickly :D

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Vinman said:

Wayne may be a lunkhead, but he deserves more credit here -- he wasn't that lucky by accident. :disagree: ;)

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
no brazil,no argentina,no holland,no england.none of them are in the semis.and they are some of the biggest teams around.where does the 'FIFA is manipulating results to help all the big teams forward' theory go?

a semi final lineup consisting of italy vsgermany and brazil vs england/holland would have looked a lot better than what it currently is.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
swag said:
:agree:

Henry seems like a mismatch for the system Domenech has put in place. He obviously knows better than to be offside as much as he has been, and yet his NT play has been a real disappointment overall. Zidane is the engine that has kept them going, but even he has had his moments of looking 34-going-on-50 on this squad.

The thing in France's advantage is that their best play is starting to come out now, despite their very meagre beginnings in the group stages. Ribery seems to have the legs where Zidane's age and range slow him down. And Vieira is one of the few players who have been a pleasant surprise from their normal field of stars. All in spite of Domenech, of course.

Sometimes all you need is to win by margins and play tight at this stage, and France are succeeding at that just when they need it.
spot on swagger and Denco :agree:

we will see if zizou could keep up the standard that he played in the last game. I think france's greatest asset is their backline with viera and makelele.

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
swag said:
Wayne may be a lunkhead, but he deserves more credit here -- he wasn't that lucky by accident. :disagree: ;)
indeed, I think erricson made a very big mistake, Roony is so young and he just came from such an injuiry, and erricson let him play every match and that alone up front. Roony was suppose to do everything alone upfront, he did not get real support in attack. instead of erricson I was gonna bring a second striker or let gerard to play as a second striker just to help rooney..

It is really a very disaster to lose in penalties so often, I think england does not need only a new coach, they also need some psychological help..

mnementh

Jun 5, 2005
imo, this is why football is dead.

check what crespo (one of the greatest forwards of our time IMO) says about a possible move back to italy :

“Inter or Milan? It doesn’t really matter to me."

It's just not fun anymore.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Vinman said:
:D

Accident? Sure, in the same way convicts dropping a piece of soap in the shower and asking one of their fellow fellons to pick it up is an 'accident'.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Amazing that of the 4 semi finalists, Italy, Portugal and France will tell you if they are very honest, that this is not their finest ever teams and incredibly they have done better than their predecessors. I would never have thought this azzurri team will get to semi and here they are with a great chance of getting to the final with arguably plenty ordinary players like Materazzi, Perrotta, Iaquinta, Barzagli, Grosso, Zaccardo, Gilardino.
Totti, Inzaghi and Dp past their best but look at where they are.
France, Malouda is very ordinary as are Wiltord and Givou , Abidal is no Lizarazu, Sangol is just decent , Zz though has played well is past his very best, Henry is not the force for France that he is for arsenal, Ribery is no Pires . Thuram is past it and Vieira ,though very decent is not the same force he was once. Barthez is still very shaky but has only conceded twice and 1 goal was a penalty.
Portugal have a slightly past it Figo, ordinary players like Petit, Tiago, Miera, Nuno Valente, Postiga, Viana. A grossly overrated Simao. Miguel with the worst final ball you are likely to see and Pauletta who does nothing against decent defenders and here they are in the semis
Only Germany have a better team than they have had in 10 years.
Is the world cup getting worse as 2002 had no memorable game whatsoever whilst this one has 3 semi finalists that might not have gotten there if they met decent sides of the past.

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
denco said:
Amazing that of the 4 semi finalists, Italy, Portugal and France will tell you if they are very honest, that this is not their finest ever teams and incredibly they have done better than their predecessors. I would never have thought this azzurri team will get to semi and here they are with a great chance of getting to the final with arguably plenty ordinary players like Materazzi, Perrotta, Iaquinta, Barzagli, Grosso, Zaccardo, Gilardino.
France, Malouda is very ordinary as are Wiltord and Givou , Abidal is no Lizarazu, Sangol is just decent , Zz though has played well is past his very best, Henry is not the force for France that he is for arsenal, Ribery is no Pires . Thuram is past it and Vieira ,though very decent is not the same force he was once. Barthez is still very shaky but has only conceded twice and 1 goal was a penalty.
Portugal have a slightly past it Figo, ordinary players like Petit, Tiago, Miera, Nuno Valente, Postiga, Viana. A grossly overrated Simao. Miguel with the worst final ball you are likely to see and Pauletta who does nothing against decent defenders and here they are in the semis
Is the world cup getting worse as 2002 had no memorable game whatsoever whilst this one has 3 semi finalists that might not have gotten there if they met decent sides of the past.
Actualy we see how important team spirit is, I have never seen such a team spirit from the azzurri. even the bench players come almost every time to celebrate the goal. We should not forget the credit of Lippi for that. Lippi formed a real team here, everybody is fighting for each other. after totti´s goal against Australia, DP was the first one who celebrated with him.. actualy we might think they could be enimies because they are fighting for a starting place, but this is not the case. under Trapatoni the team did not have selfconfidence, I mean how should they have confidence when they see their coach almost crying on the coaching zone, and every time they score a goal he brought a defender for a striker??
with portugal it is Scolari, who has the credit. His record is incrideble. the players are acting as a team, not like England for example.
Germany is famous for having team and fighting spirit but Klinsmann has done a fantastic job. the problem of german players was that they were young and had no expierence, Klinsmann changed their mentality and changed the way of playing football. they have trying the same style of play for 2 years and Klinsmann allways said (even after the 4-1 against italy) that they are learning, and that they will be at the top by the start of the WC. and unfortunatly they are ;)

France´s situation is really strange.. the problem of france was that the big players (Zidane, Thuram, Vieira, etc) thought that the coach can not blame them, they did not play with their maximum until they realised that it is a world cup and then they had succes and now they got the selfconfidence and they are a team again.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
denco said:
the world cup creates the big names, relative nobodies become established players on the international scene after the world cup...just like maresca said team spirit is very important and we can see that in all the four teams that r there with actually playing like a team not individuals.

agreed that simao is overrated but i think that miguel is underrated, as he proved he is that good(at least on the international scene)

italy had the biggest chance of making it till here, if they had passed the group stages in 1st place and they did that. Their biggest competition since the group stage was australia, which is a light weight internationally although they were great.

if u have a look at the teams that do well u would see brazil in 1994 which nobody rated before the world cup and they went on to win it. And the likes of germany that had a great squad couldn't make it to the semis. in 1998 there was all mighty brazil with a great squad, almost unbeatable but it was and they were thrashed by another great squad in france.and creating stars like zidane,lizarazu,thuram etc
in 2002 teams like portugal,france,argentina all crashed for only a brazil squad that didnt have the stars that they have now but they managed to win and create big names like ronaldinho, gilberto silve etc

i think that youth or "ordinaries" is a big factor, and execpt for france all the teams have that.

abt germany, the problem was that everyone forgot abt the youth...they were clinging to that great squad of the end of 80s and 90s...Klinsi decreased the level and gave many new players a chance.A thing that Rudi voeller didnt do with few other mistakes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)