World Cup controversy thread,Sepp seen leaving hotel with giant SWAG bags (109 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Okay you filthy Arabs, I have supported your bid. You better reciprocate in kind when we, the mighty Indians, bid for the 2030 world cup.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Sure thing, anything that takes the world cup away from USA or Western Europe is fine with me. Imagine having a world cup in the US, not one i would look forward to.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
A month? Sounds like you're going to be tied up as a prisoner. :p

"Obviously bought." Man, you are becoming an Italian alright.

What I don't get is why people act so friggin surprised at these choices. Well before the choices, the favorites were listed as Russia and Qatar respectively. Now it's like, ooooh shocking -- we got what the betting oddsters suspected all along.

It's clear that FIFA was trying to expand its reach in 2002 and 2010. And Germany never hosted for 2006. So why not England or the US? Been there, done that. It's brain dead simple. So an expansion to the Middle East? Smells completely like FIFA. A European version with one of the biggest BRIC football nations going? Also obvious.

This isn't rocket science, boys. But the aftershocks seem like nothing but sour grapes.

I'd take Colombia in a heartbeat. I actually would have preferred them for 2018.

Iraq couldn't put a bid for running toilets right now, let alone a WC = World Cup WC.

Putin knows corruption as much as anyone, but I thought it was hilarious that there was the suggestion of bought off votes to scandalize England's bid -- when they got a pathetically meager 2 votes.

The results came out exactly as I expected them to. My only explanation for why people are freaking out is because they still don't get how FIFA thinks or they're voting too close to home.
Sour grapes? I didn't want it to happen in Belgium in the first place and I didn't mention Russia. But Qatar is a joke. Perhaps we should have a World Cup in a country that actually thinks human rights are worthwhile.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
How are the players going to feel in Qatar anyway? Does it strike you guys as the best place in the world to play football? Really?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
And it's not even a stable economy. 50/50 it never happens in Qatar, because the country has imploded by then.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
How are the players going to feel in Qatar anyway? Does it strike you guys as the best place in the world to play football? Really?
it's pretty much the same as Dubai.

what is the best place in the world to play football? it's very subjective.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
And what about caring for diversity? I thought FIFA didn't approve of racism? Racism out of football.. right?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
you been there? I have.
I can see the temperatures and the drought. It's not the best place to play football, it's not a stable economy, it doesn't have enough inhabitants, it doesn't have enough big cities, racism is not even an issue there and the bid is merely a financial proposal.

It's a disgrace.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Sour grapes? I didn't want it to happen in Belgium in the first place and I didn't mention Russia. But Qatar is a joke. Perhaps we should have a World Cup in a country that actually thinks human rights are worthwhile.
We've got enough money pouring into clubs from the Middle East (e.g., Man City), and we even have players late in their years being lured back there (Fabio Cannavaro being a more recent example) because of the establishing football culture there -- not unlike the US was when it first started to lure aging European talent with NASL and continues to do so with the likes of Beckham.

The UAE probably would have been a suitable venue, but didn't bid. Would you have preferred Saudi Arabia? Kuwait? Yemen? I don't get your objections. Qatar is one of the best options of the lot there.

Let me explain what the "World" part of the "World Cup" means. It means you don't pick the best country in the world to play football and play it there every 4 years. Wrong criteria.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Qatar is an abomination of a country. It shouldn't even exist. And we give it the World Cup. That's the issue, swag. Not your "world" bullshit. We give football to democracies.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
And what about caring for diversity? I thought FIFA didn't approve of racism? Racism out of football.. right?
Qatar is pretty diverse...and what racism? whole place is full of expats.

I can see the temperatures and the drought. It's not the best place to play football, it's not a stable economy, it doesn't have enough inhabitants, it doesn't have enough big cities, racism is not even an issue there and the bid is merely a financial proposal.

It's a disgrace.
doesn't rain here anywhere, what are you looking to do, buy a farm or watch a football match?

let's not bring up off-topic bullshit.

until their economies tanked, the ME was packed with European tourists in the summer months, its not as if they got off the plane and started to melt.

people will come from all over to watch the WC, location is very ideal globally...they're not trying to build the New World and populate the land.

it's a proposal sure, they've got more than a decade to get it together, isn't as if Japan Korea or RSA had their stadia in place already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 109)