World Cup 2018 LIVE thread (52 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
England aren't as good as some of the idiots claim they are, but they're still 'good' never the less. Plus a lot of the good teams are out their way. They could end up winning the WC by playing only Belgium from the so called top teams.
England is a good team. But they haven't been legitimately tested yet.

Well, they were by Belgium and lost...

Hard to imagine Belgium winning it all though. Their defense is just to suspect, they didn't survive Brazil by defending well they gave away countless chances Brazil just choked it away.

I have a feeling that France will likely have similar opportunities against Belgium. Its going to take a lot of luck and a brilliant Courtious performance to keep France out
Seriously. Old, creaky English club defenders do not make a reliable backline.

Buy on AliExpress.com

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I am picturing an England - France final with France to win it all.

England are surprisingly well balanced too. This England side are actually well organized, can defend and have a number of fresh young players who weren't a part of previous English choking generations.

I think they are mentally in a better place than past England tournament teams. They came in with far less expectation and therefore pressure than past teams and they had a great opportunity to get the initial nerves out of the way by beating up on Tunisia and Panama.

In the end France will beat them though simply because their lineup is on a whole different level.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Kyle Walker is the weak link for England. He seems to have at least one brainfart a game, sometimes it's 2 or 3. His current favourite is losing possession in a dangerous area trying to dribble or try a difficult pass, as if he has to show he is a Guardiola total footballer. TBH John Stones is another who tries overly difficult passes. I think we'll be looking at one of those two in either the semi or perhaps the final.

The attacking midfield trio for me is disappointing. Alli is clearly not fit but always plays. Yes he scored a header but did nothing else but lose the ball against Sweden. Sterling is trying his hardest but his end product is hilariously bad, it's a shit show watching him. Lingard I can't knock because he tries so hard and he's smart but he's just quite limited. If there was a standout player supporting Kane, who is England's best player by a country mile (imo), pure quality, then they could win it. One of those three has to shine. The other thing is that I don't think England have lost when Henderson has played. Doesn't always look that great but England's balance would be cut to pieces without him.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Hard to imagine Belgium winning it all though. Their defense is just too poor, they didn't survive Brazil by defending well they gave away countless chances Brazil just choked it away.

I have a feeling that France will likely have similar opportunities against Belgium. Its going to take a lot of luck and a brilliant Courtious performance to keep France out.

IMO France will probably win the tournament, they were rightly criticized for not being overly impressive in an easy group but they have a loaded squad, which may not be where it could be, but is still a solid team with no real weaknesses and they seem to be getting better since the group stage.
France are winning in a typical Juve fashion, I think thats very impressive, there havent been a game in this tournament where they havent been in total control around the hour mark. My only concern regarding them is what happens when they come across someone like England who like to sit deep and have a brilliant CF whos unstoppable on set pieces

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
Seriously. Old, creaky English club defenders do not make a reliable backline.
It's a good job they're not old then.

The attacking midfield trio for me is disappointing. Alli is clearly not fit but always plays. Yes he scored a header but did nothing else but lose the ball against Sweden. Sterling is trying his hardest but his end product is hilariously bad, it's a $#@! show watching him. Lingard I can't knock because he tries so hard and he's smart but he's just quite limited. If there was a standout player supporting Kane, who is England's best player by a country mile (imo), pure quality, then they could win it. One of those three has to shine.
I agree with this. Said from the start that Kane would have to turn in a Golden Boot performance for us to have a shot. Sterling is terrible. Lingard's useful, and Dele needs to step up but definitely has the ability. I think we see more from these three against Croatia as it will be the first opponent that will try and beat us (no one's counting the Belgium group game as relevant) rather than looking to frustrate and operate a system of damage limitation.

It'll be an open game I think. And is 50/50. A clash of modern styles; a technical team vs an athletic one. 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 vs 3-5-2. I do, however, see at least one more set piece goal for England given that it's a thing we do, and ... Lovren.

But they got Modric. Versus Henderson. Gulp!

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Hard to imagine Belgium winning it all though. Their defense is just too poor, they didn't survive Brazil by defending well they gave away countless chances Brazil just choked it away.

I have a feeling that France will likely have similar opportunities against Belgium. Its going to take a lot of luck and a brilliant Courtious performance to keep France out.

IMO France will probably win the tournament, they were rightly criticized for not being overly impressive in an easy group but they have a loaded squad, which may not be where it could be, but is still a solid team with no real weaknesses and they seem to be getting better since the group stage.
France and Belgium have been the most impressive teams imo. But France have no real weaknesses, whereas we do. I think at this point it's France's to lose.

Croatia are going to beat England. The English are good up front, but they're very average in midfield and at the back. Croatia have a unique chance and they will take it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
France are winning in a typical Juve fashion, I think thats very impressive, there havent been a game in this tournament where they havent been in total control around the hour mark. My only concern regarding them is what happens when they come across someone like England who like to sit deep and have a brilliant CF whos unstoppable on set pieces
:shifty:

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
If Croatia makes it to the final, Modric has to be a serious contender for Ballon d'or.

Actually, whoever makes the final, this could be the first year since 2007 that Messi or Ronaldo won't win it. Messi is out of the game already, but Ronaldo is still there with a chance due to the CL win.
Mbappe, Griezmann, Hazard, Modric and Kane could steal it this time, though, depending on the outcome of this WC.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
If Croatia makes it to the final, Modric has to be a serious contender for Ballon d'or.

Actually, whoever makes the final, this could be the first year since 2007 that Messi or Ronaldo won't win it. Messi is out of the game already, but Ronaldo is still there with a chance due to the CL win.
Mbappe, Griezmann, Hazard, Modric and Kane could steal it this time, though, depending on the outcome of this WC.
If Croatia make it to the final it might be Modric, even though his World Cup has been far from great imo.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
If Croatia make it to the final it might be Modric, even though his World Cup has been far from great imo.

I think he’s been pretty great. By far the most impactful player for Croatia and has been running nonstop every single game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 52)