Winter Mercato Thread 2018 (116 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
for a club like Roma :baus:
i wonder how many top clubs would pick either can or pellegrini for a cl final.

i'm not sure we are really aiming for cl glory, though. higuain was our only ambitious signing, even dani alves was a market opportunity. our other good signings like pjanic or dybala were some damage control when beppe tried to replace the outgoing classy players.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015

i'm not sure we are really aiming for cl glory, though. higuain was our only ambitious signing, even dani alves was a market opportunity. our other good signings like pjanic or dybala were some damage control when beppe tried to replace the outgoing classy players.
more and more people are taking the red pill :tuttosport:

Consequences of not being able to afford big signings would be to hold well developed worldclass players we bought as talents but Beppe simply doesnt have a iota of ambition in his head, except of ambition to report profits to Elkann

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012

Wasn't it obvious from the beginning though?

We'll give it our best shot of course but we're obviously not going to commit huge amounts to buy top players unless a key player is sold.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007

we're aiming for steady growth and hoping CL glory happens along the way

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012

Although neither Pellegrini nor Can are the players who win you a CL final, both of them are young and with room for further growth while already playing at a high level. Plus, one of them is a bosman while the other costs only 25mln which is relatively cheap in today's market. Currently, we only have two reliable midfielders that can play on the highest level on a regular basis, Pjanic and Matuidi. Khedira is past it, Sturaro is not good enough, Marchisio seems to be plagued with injuries and Bentancur is still raw. Therefore, replacing Khedira and Sturaro with Can and Pellegrini seems like a good move. If we manage to sell Sturaro for some money, we can further diminish the cost of the operation. One can only hope that these savings will be used towards a purchase of a star player but we all know the probability of it.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
we're aiming for steady growth and hoping CL glory happens along the way
In the era of exponential growth, steady growth might not be good enough, especially if you keep selling your best players. Such a strategy is counterproductive and prioritizes ST gains/profits over long term benefits too, as when you sell, you find yourself constantly rebuilding and losing an element of consistency. It's a thankless task, considering we play in a league that lacks popularity and money compared to others.

We can't keep selling our best and most marketable players/assets if we want to continue growing and improving.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
if you're trying to challenge an argument that says rarely, I'd advise to use more than 1 example :D Arsenal over the last 2 decades have bought heaps of talent, but hardly anyone has enjoyed a successful career, especially after leaving Arsenal. Fabregas had 1 good season outside of Arsenal, Nasri none, Gervinho ended up in China and half of them I don't even remember. At the end of 90ties and start of 00ties it was better of course, but they've been crazy unsuccessful in developing players for more than a decade now
Thought you`d never ask...
Henry Vieira Polak GK A.Cole Fabregas (Who had a great season at Barca and then he fell in the pack.. went to Chelsea and got good again.. had a slow pre season that made people think he is finished but here he is again...) Nasri (although he wasnt great but he didnt become a bad player once he moved...)
Cant remember other Arsenal players to be honest I just remember Overmars but I dont remember him in another shirt so maybe there is a reason why..

You can add A.Sanchez Bellerin and Ozil next year.. A.Sanchez to Utd Ozil to Juve and hopefully Bellerin to join Ozil..

RVP is the only guy I can think about on the opposing way who was great at Arsenal then went to Utd with a good first season but then he declined.. heavily...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 116)