William of Gates: DRM sucks (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Gates: Digital locks too complex

Microsoft boss Bill Gates has told a group of influential bloggers that copy protection for digital music and video is too complex for consumers.

Mr Gates was speaking to an invited party of bloggers and web developers at Microsoft's Seattle headquarters.

Digital Rights Management (DRM), which is used to stop copying, is a big issue for some people who feel it limits what they can do with legally bought files.

"DRM is not where it should be," said Mr Gates, reported blogger Steve Rubel.

"In the end of the day incentive systems (for artists) make a difference," said Mr Gates.

"But we don't have the right thing here in terms of simplicity or interoperability," he added.

His comments were reported on the Micro Persuasion technology blog, and the visit was blogged by the other attendees.

Microsoft is one of the biggest exponents of DRM, which is used to protect music and video files on lots of different online services, including Napster and the Zune store.

Blogger Michael Arrington, of Techcrunch.com, said Bill Gates' short-term advice for people wanting to transfer songs from one system to another was to "buy a CD and rip it".

Most CDs do not have any copy protection and can be copied to a PC and to an MP3 player easily and, in the United States at least, legally.

DRM critics

In the UK it is illegal to make personal copies of CDs, although the music industry has made clear it will take no action against people copying their legally bought CDs to their computers or music players.

Critics of DRM argue that the tools limit the value of downloaded music or video files because of the restrictions imposed to try to prevent copying.

They say that DRM is routinely circumvented and that different competing standards cause confusion for consumers.

Suw Charman, of the Open Rights Group, said it was a "bit rich of Bill Gates to make his comments given how much DRM is stuffed into Windows Vista", the new operating system from Microsoft.

"The problem with DRM is that it is very anti-consumer," she said.

"It is bully-boy tactics by the media industry," she added.

But backers of DRM argue it gives artists an assurance that their work is being protected.

Ms Charman called for more information for consumers when they buy digital files and CDs.

"Often consumers do not know what restrictions have been imposed on CDs or digital music until after they have bought them," she said.

She added: "Apple have been known to change the rules after people have bought tracks."

===

I feel like patting him on the back for saying this, but honestly he would be an idiot to say anything else. Windows has been all about usability and Gates knows what that means as few others do.

Blogger Michael Arrington, of Techcrunch.com, said Bill Gates' short-term advice for people wanting to transfer songs from one system to another was to "buy a CD and rip it".
That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it? DRM is completely useless.

"Often consumers do not know what restrictions have been imposed on CDs or digital music until after they have bought them," she said.

She added: "Apple have been known to change the rules after people have bought tracks."
This is what really bugs me. There should be a law to label DRM crap, so the consumer will see a nice label "corrupted media", and not buy into something that later turns out to be useless.

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Agreed. I brought this up with a friend of mine who is one of the big wigs in the youth wing of the biggest political party in Ireland, and he seemed interested - good manifesto material, he thought.

It's farcical and disgraceful that the law actually says that me copying my CD to my PC is illegal. I respect copyright - if I want a song, I'll buy it, but I'm damned if I'll be told what I can then do in terms of personal use of that copy.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Like Bill Gates is really a woman and has been Roger Ebert's secret androgynous lover for the past 20 years?

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
God I am delusional...I read the title "William Gallas: DRM sucks"...I was like what does Gallas have to do with "Digital Right Management"...and then I was like oh he probably means "Defensive Right Midfielder" ...and disregarded this thread :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)