Why we are better than barcelona (1 Viewer)

tassard

Jul 30, 2004
I think we are better than barcelona.Look why

1.All say they have a good attack.But against which defenders they proved that?Against the defenders of the Spanish league?There is no extremely good defence in spain.Only in two games they faced good defenders.The games with milan.And in those two games they scored 2 goals and they concened 2.If that was a knock-out s tage barca would be out.Think about that.0-1 and 2-1.The aggregate with MILAN.

2.No depth team.If one key player(Eto'o,Ronaldinho,Xavi,Giuly,Deco)is injured what they will do?Their bench players are not that good.

3.Their defence with the goalkeeper is NOT good.They simply have a possesion game in defence.Have you seen many times a player who is in Barcelona's area to miss a chance because of a defender, or from the goalkeeper?I think no.

In the end i think that we are better than them because we are more balanced.Has not good Goalkeeper,not good defenders and in attack Eto'o is good but alone.The key in Barca team is the midfield which gives Eto'o the chance to make shots.Imo we could win them with this years team+one good passer+Lippi who was counter-attack master

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I would say we have a bit to prove to make a legitimate claim that we're better than Barca this season. Though for good chunks of the first half of the season, I think we can say we're on the same level.

I'm not sure I get Barca on the backfield, though. Puyol, of course, is pure quality. Marquez has had his moments. But Belletti? Who has made him look this good? And Víctor Valdés isn't a bad option in goal, particularly for La Liga, but come CL?

Talk about an overachieving backline this season. It will be interesting to see how Barca fares when their high-flying attack sputters in the gears of a Milan, or Juve, or Chelsea, or Man U-level defense. IMO, suddenly the flaws will start to show.

Alex

May 1, 2004
on the games against milan it was clear that barca deserved the 3 points on both occasions. imo milan were extremely fortunate and totally out played. when we versed milan we failed to create a single chance. our defence was stretched and the midfield overrun.

if we were to beat barca our counterattacking game would have to be perfect just as milan's was

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Great thread. I have been saying time and time and time again that Barcelona's tactics will fail them this season, compounded with the sqaud problems they have. Chelsea will hit Barca on the counterattack like no other, and Barca will be left with gaping holes at the back. Barca might have to field youth players since their sqaud is very small and if any more injuries occur. Barca will not be able to stay very competitive on all fronts after the winter, and they will probably have to concentrate on La Liga. Chelsea will wipe them aside, unfortunately.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
Guys, Barca are good. Let's not take that away from them.

Having said that, the squad truly lacks depth, but I am not ruling out a transfer window swoop here and there for new guys.

But, I maintain that the key to any good team winning titles is a solid defence (ask the Greeks), and a solid defence (unkine a strong attack) is built on team work and not on individual players.

That's where Spanish teams are generally lacking.

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
++ [ originally posted by tassard ] ++

1.All say they have a good attack.But against which defenders they proved that?Against the defenders of the Spanish league?There is no extremely good defence in spain.Only in two games they faced good defenders.The games with milan.And in those two games they scored 2 goals and they concened 2.If that was a knock-out s tage barca would be out.Think about that.0-1 and 2-1.The aggregate with MILAN.

2.No depth team.If one key player(Eto'o,Ronaldinho,Xavi,Giuly,Deco)is injured what they will do?Their bench players are not that good.

3.Their defence with the goalkeeper is NOT good.They simply have a possesion game in defence.Have you seen many times a player who is in Barcelona's area to miss a chance because of a defender, or from the goalkeeper?I think no.

In the end i think that we are better than them because we are more balanced.Has not good Goalkeeper,not good defenders and in attack Eto'o is good but alone.The key in Barca team is the midfield which gives Eto'o the chance to make shots.Imo we could win them with this years team+one good passer+Lippi who was counter-attack master
That arguement can be used for our team too.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Like us, Barcelona have their strengths and their flaws. On current form I think they're better than us but their defensive shortcomings and lack of squad depth will be exposed just like I fear our attacking frailty will be.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by tassard ] ++

1. Their attack is times better than ours and you can't deny that.

2. Yeah, they lack depth but I wouldn't be surprised if they go into the January transfer market and sign a couple of players. What will they do if Puyol, Ronaldinho or Eto'o suffers an injury? Good question, but how will Juve fair without Buffon, Cannavaro, Emerson or Nedved?

3. We're clearly much better defensively but Victor Valdes is a quality keeper and the likes of Marquez, Belletti and Van Bronkhorst are no pushovers while Puyol is quite simply world-class.

We have a better goalkeeper and a better defence, they have a better midfield and a better attack. I'd say we're about even.

Sid

Nov 10, 2003
lack of depth in the squad? come on, where were you? have you seen our squad list for this season?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by HWIENIAWSKI ] ++
They are very good, but Chelsea will get by them because of their midfield.
If Barca can get early leads in the matches they play, and then control the game thereafter, the Catalan side will be able to beat Chelsea. But they must be cautious defensively.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'm not sure that the midfield will wholly favor Chelsea. I think the differences are going to show in two areas:

1. Barca's attack is clearly stronger than Chelsea's in terms of creating chances
2. Barca's attack has yet to face a back line like Chelsea's. Chelsea's attack won't be facing an unprecedented defense in Barca.

Whenever I pit a strong attack+decent defense against a decent attack+strong defense in an elimination tournament, I give the edge to the strong defense every time. Prognosis: Barca doesn't make it through to the next round.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
What is the point of this thread actually? We are not meeting Barcelona in any competiton and noone has elected Barcelona the yardstick for football or am i missing something?

But to humour the person who started the thread, yes we have great defence but once you take Cannavaro from that we are in big trouble

Our midfield is more of containment than playing opposition off the park so we lose hands down there

Attack, well i thinke we probably have the better strikers in terms of finishing but they do not have the luxury of the creativity that Barcelona does have

Well i wouldn't be bringing up performances against Milan if i was you to prove a point

But if you ask a neutral who would they spend good money on to watch, i am 100% sure it would not be Juve.

Any team that can be that amount of points clear in la liga are not a bad side and must have great balance as Barcelona surely do.

No strength in depth my eye, do we have strength in depth or did we not lose to Atalanta in the cup with our so called strength in depth and lets face is in Cl, we were in a very easy group as it turned out as Ajax this season are quite hopeless while Bayern are a bit of a hit and miss while Milan are the most complete team in Europe in terms of quantity and quality with chelsea and Celtic as anyone will tell you are no mugs

peckface

approaching curve
Oct 3, 2004
I don't agree!

All say they have a good attack.But against which defenders they proved that?Against the defenders of the Spanish league?There is no extremely good defence in spain.Only in two games they faced good defenders.The games with milan.And in those two games they scored 2 goals and they concened 2.If that was a knock-out s tage barca would be out.Think about that.0-1 and 2-1.The aggregate with MILAN.
I think they were better than Milan in both games, especially the second one.

No depth team.If one key player(Eto'o,Ronaldinho,Xavi,Giuly,Deco)is injured what they will do?Their bench players are not that good.
In attack they have Larsson[sic] and Iniesta(who i personally think is one of the biggest talents today) on the bench.

And in midfield they have Motta and Edmilson on the bench[sic], which I really don't think is bad players either.

(I'm aware of the injuries)

Their defence with the goalkeeper is NOT good.
Okay here I can agree some. Belletti and Gio aint exactly my favourite players. But Valdes have done really well this season (who would have thought?) and Puyol is without a doubt one of the best defenders in the world.

I don't think they lack in debt, maybe at the moment because of injuries but they have said that they will loan one or more players this winter to fill that debt.

Offense is the best defense! Every team fears Barcelona. :undecide:

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
Personally I think Barca is easily the better side between, Juve and Barca, not because I dont like Juve, simply from the fact that they play better football, and are winning. One of the things I dont like about Juve is this 'win at all costs' mentality that your team has, even if it means that you bore everyone to death. I am sure your all going to say that we dont but, I doubt many of you could seriously say you'd perfer to play defensively and cautious like your team, or like Barcelona!

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Nicole ] ++
Personally I think Barca is easily the better side between, Juve and Barca, not because I dont like Juve, simply from the fact that they play better football, and are winning. One of the things I dont like about Juve is this 'win at all costs' mentality that your team has, even if it means that you bore everyone to death. I am sure your all going to say that we dont but, I doubt many of you could seriously say you'd perfer to play defensively and cautious like your team, or like Barcelona!
What a pathetic arguement. Here is all you need to know Nicole:

1. Juventus is winning many games as well, more than Barca for that matter.
2. Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships. Sell that other shit to the tourists.
3. You hate that "win at all costs mentality" Juve possesses? Only if your little Roma side would share the same mentality... :rofl:

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
So, Andy you dont believe that Barca are going to win La Liga this season? And that they arent completely dominating La Liga right now? Even Real Madrid, a team I hate play great football (or did) and what have they done? Are they not 9 time European Cup winners?

1. Juve is winning games, but so are Barcelona. Think of it in terms of Italy. We have (in my opinion) the best players in the world, yet why oh why cant we win a major trophy? And there is Brazil, are they cautious? Or are they 5 times World Cup winners? So your argument over defense winning titles isnt nessecaryily true. As I have said, I believe the big sides in the world have a 'duty' to play great football, of course I doubt many people also believe that, but thats just what I think anyway. What about Milan, were they not in great form last season playing well and winning titles? And Roma last year, also played well and we finished 2nd. Defense isnt the be-all-and-end-all of course it is important, Milan wouldnt of won without people like Nesta, but they were far more exciting to watch then Juve!

And if Roma did, then I probably wont be a fan. I like see Roma winning of course, but I perfer winning well, and not badly!

Dr-Juve

Mar 11, 2004
i think in general we r better
they have a good GK but we have Buffon
we have a better defence line
they have a better MF players (slightly)
almost equal attackers quality
and last but not the least we have Cap who is the best on earth

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)