why italian cup is underated?... (1 Viewer)

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
i have this question bunggin me for a some time now.. what is the real reason that top italian clubs have little interest in winning their national cup? maybe it not as old as english FA cup ( which is the oldest cup in the world ) but if i m not mistaken the italian cup is already over 80 years old...beside italia, i dont find any other country with the same senario ( well, malaysian also dont value their FA cup but that beside the point ) ... is it becoz the italian dont like too many games? that would be very strange becoz the english have bigger league yet they still value their FA cup highly.. i thinkin about this becoz i think juve should concetrate more that just 2 cup in a season...a bit greedy maybe but i want juve to win everything....well, anyone can help me with these? from italian point of view maybe?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
well, its just that they dont feel the importance of it as the english teams and others leagues do.

seriously, it doesnt show that you are the best team in the country, the scudetto proves that.

i think its a good thing if the mid table teams win the coppa italia as it gives them some cash and excitement during the season.

BloodOnMoral

Jun 4, 2003
Even if they don't care so much about obtaining the Cup or Supercup (Romanian clubs don't care too much neither) , they seemed pretty happy this year, to see their revenge over Milan accomplished :D.

gigi's twin

Mar 5, 2003
Yes it is an interesting question! However they don't think it is important for them, there is always a Seria A club which wins it. And not one of the clubs in the middle area of the table, but a really good one........

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
The thing is that it is only the FA cup that interests the clubs. It is the only domestic cup that matters in the whole world I think.

National cup is naturally the third choice. The league is the most important and the european play is also extremely important. There are very many games played and naturally the coach has to prioritate some games. The cup is the third priority so...

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
maybe it's becuase there are too few games. the winners of the cup played only against 4 teams.
in england it's a much bigger competition and it can be really hard to get to the final.

IMO only one leg is needed, like in england. home and away game is stupid, becuase it's in the same country

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
This problem was bugging the Italian FA (FIGC) too .. so they decided to award the winner with a direct UEFA Cup berth .. However, attendances for this competition remained low as teams (especially top teams) chose to line-up fringe teams and rest their real stars for the more important Serie A and Champions League competitions .. However, some matches (especially derbies) turn some attention but still not the same as the league ..

I know this doesn't answer the question as to why the Coppa is ignored. But let's say that Italians carve the Serie A (some believe even more than the CL) and thus the Coppa gets snubbed.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Would be nice to see Juve winning the 10th Coppa Italia.

How to increase interest? Just give the top 3 of the Serie A + the winner of the Coppa Italia a place in the CL.

If that idea was taken into consideration 2 years ago, Milan would have not entered last year's CL :D

OP
aressandro10

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
  • Thread Starter #12
    ++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++
    The thing is that it is only the FA cup that interests the clubs. It is the only domestic cup that matters in the whole world I think. National cup is naturally the third choice. The league is the most important and the european play is also extremely important. There are very many games played and naturally the coach has to prioritate some games. The cup is the third priority so...
    is that true? i never think of that..well..in malaysia the FA cup is the third tournament .. we have a Malaysian Cup, then the league , thennnn the FA cup.. but italians have have only two...
    it is only the league and the cup...well few teams get the pleasure of playing in europe but just a few...only the top 6..

dont most of the clubs got boring only playing in the league they wont won anyway? why dont have a shot at the knock out cup? well at least thats how i see it..

i dun know bout the rest of europe but in the top four league ( for me its seria A, EPL , bundesliga, la liga) only italian cup were a lil underated..the way i see it, german teams still depressed if they lose the german cup final or real madrid when they lose the copa del rey.,,

OP
    aressandro10

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
  • Thread Starter #13
    ++ [ originally posted by Edgar Davids ] ++
    maybe it's becuase there are too few games. the winners of the cup played only against 4 teams.
    in england it's a much bigger competition and it can be really hard to get to the final.

IMO only one leg is needed, like in england. home and away game is stupid, becuase it's in the same country

yeah... maybe u rite...the format is kind of uninteresting... why u have 2 play ur ass out in the first leg if there is a 2nd leg..and the cup is really short...the winner would only take half its strenth to win the italian cup compare to the marathonic FA Cup...

its a pity really...it is very different to support ur team in league game than in a cup game..from this point of view
    the english footballing world does seem bigger than the italians..they do have more cups..damn those bloody english

OP
    aressandro10

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
  • Thread Starter #14
    ++ [ originally posted by Edgar Davids ] ++

the most stupid thing is they have a 2 leg final... i m sure things would be better if they make it only one..

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
    yeah I agree that's the most stupid thing.
    it's not feel like a final.

I think that if Italian FA want to improve the cup they should do:

1. cancell the league position influence. so far, the teams that finish 1-8 or something like that, start to participate after the others. I think it should be cancelled and all Serie A team should starts at the same time. the same thing for the other divisions.
    2. make it only one leg! the hosts are being chosen randomally. if it's a draw then they should do a re-game like in england.
    3. away goals rule is the thing that ruining the cup the most. the hell with it
    4. one final. every year the finla will be in a different place.
    5. bigger prizes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)