Why FIFA should kick cheating Capdevila out of the World Cup (1 Viewer)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
They were poor in the final, but they were the best team. They were also better than France, who were gifted a penalty early on. The Italians actually scored themselves. As for the other incidents.. a 10 man France? For what? 4 minutes? Hardly the biggest influence ever on a football game. And the guy fucking headbutted a player. Get over it. He should never have done it.

But Italy were probably the best team at that time. And even if they weren't they were in the top three. Uruguay on the other hand really don't come close TBH. They're also in the semis after a miracle against Ghana and an easy second round game against Japan.

Italy were poor in the first round, they were a little lucky with a poor refereeing decision against Australia. Then they played Ukraine in the quarters, then there was the first and only real test in the route to the final against Germany, in which admittedly the Italians were very convincing.

The French team were poor in the first round, but then had a very tough route to the final, playing the very convincing Spanish side in the second round, then the favorites Brazil in the quarters, then it was against a tough Portugese side in the Semi's. They were convincing against all those teams. I believe that before the final, France were the better and more convincing team. Then the final was won by a penalty shoot-out, hardly something that makes Italy a better team.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Italy were poor in the first round, they were a little lucky with a poor refereeing decision against Australia. Then they played Ukraine in the quarters, then there was the first and only real test in the route to the final against Germany, in which admittedly the Italians were very convincing.

The French team were poor in the first round, but then had a very tough route to the final, playing the very convincing Spanish side in the second round, then the favorites Brazil in the quarters, then it was against a tough Portugese side in the Semi's. They were convincing against all those teams. I believe that before the final, France were the better and more convincing team. Then the final was won by a penalty shoot-out, hardly something that makes Italy a better team.
Not really though. Zidane was convincing against all those teams. France as a whole did not look particularly good IMO. And you do remember the EXTREMELY SOFT penalty they got against Portugal? Hell, they got ANOTHER ONE against Italy in the final.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Anyways, this isn't the argument anyway. If Fred thinks Italy were a poor side in 2006, he can also think they were poor World Champions IMO.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Not really though. Zidane was convincing against all those teams. France as a whole did not look particularly good IMO. And you do remember the EXTREMELY SOFT penalty they got against Portugal? Hell, they got ANOTHER ONE against Italy in the final.
The one against Italy was definitely a soft penalty, the one against Portugal not so much. That one was definitely a penalty.

In their defense though, in the Italy game they were denied a stonewall penalty minutes after the Malouda one.

Anyways, this isn't the argument anyway. If Fred thinks Italy were a poor side in 2006, he can also think they were poor World Champions IMO.
I think they deserved the WC, i don't think they were the best team throughout the tournament though. They were more "clever" than the French were in the final, so they probably deserved to win that game too.

You could change "clever" by being better at cheating too.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
It's always a poor Italy, whether they win or not, because they don't play marvelous football and score lots of goals past mediocre defensive teams. I'll stick with what I said about how the teams have played so far in this competition, the final on performances compared to the technical level and effort of the team would be Germany - Uruguay right now, even if it might not be in the end.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
You're entitled to that opinion. I think it's petty and wrong and I don't know why you hate all the classic teams, but it's an opinion I suppose.
How did you conclude that I hate all the classic teams? Because that is obviously a very wrong conclusion.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
How did you conclude that I hate all the classic teams? Because that is obviously a very wrong conclusion.
Because it seems to be what you do. Celebrating whenever a giant falls.

I think that's a very petty way of enjoying a World Cup, Jack. But I might be wrong. Which teams do you like?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
You're entitled to that opinion. I think it's petty and wrong and I don't know why you hate all the classic teams, but it's an opinion I suppose.
I wonder if he really does or just enjoys trying to get a rise out of people. Seems to be the same story in most threads.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It's always a poor Italy, whether they win or not, because they don't play marvelous football and score lots of goals past mediocre defensive teams. I'll stick with what I said about how the teams have played so far in this competition, the final on performances compared to the technical level and effort of the team would be Germany - Uruguay right now, even if it might not be in the end.
It could be virtually anything. The ball's funny, the refs are poor. It's all random.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
It could be virtually anything. The ball's funny, the refs are poor. It's all random.
Yes, so the best team is the one who deals with all those things, and they also will get the rub of the green somewhere along the line. You could debate every World Cup winner but at the end of day one team wins whether people like it or not. Some think playing lovely football means a team is better, look at Argentina in 2006, but they didn't win the game so they aren't the best team.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Because it seems to be what you do. Celebrating whenever a giant falls.

I think that's a very petty way of enjoying a World Cup, Jack. But I might be wrong. Which teams do you like?
The only teams I enjoy failing are Brazil, Argentina, Italy and England.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Why, if I may ask?

Does that imply you are indifferent to France, Holland, Spain, Portugal, and Uruguay?

I also noticed that you have a particular liking and fondness of Germany. Why so?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)