Why Blue Shirt ? (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2004
hey ya'all... i hope that this thread isent stupied, becuase i need to know something..

1) why is the italian shirt Blue (azzurri) ? the italian flag is green white and red...

and as i know normaly u'r shirt is the color of u'r flag... :)

hope u can tell me why !

Buy on AliExpress.com

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
Italy as we know it today didn't come about until after World War II and while many European Nations were founded in the mid 1600s (1648 if I'm not mistaken), Italy was always a group of city-states and didn't really have much of a national unity (that is why there are many dialects of Italian and they can be quite different).

Anyway blue was one of the primary colors of the old Italian government, from the mid 1800s up until sometime in the mid 20th century. The national team took its color from the old governments flag and it wasn't changed when Italy adopted its tricolor flag today.

It isn't all that uncommon though, try and find some orange in the Dutch flag.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
This is the flag (not really but you could call it that) of the old Italian Kingdom, the House of the Savoy. It should be quite clear where the Azzuri comes from.

Len

Feb 13, 2004
It doesn't matter about their shirt, all that matters is the three stars on the jersey...

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
usually colour of national team took from the royal colour of the country...at least this are the case with malaysia, japan and holland.... country that dont have royal colur adopt the their flag colour..

OP
Juve_Kosova
May 4, 2004
  • Thread Starter #8
    ++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++
    Italy as we know it today didn't come about until after World War II and while many European Nations were founded in the mid 1600s (1648 if I'm not mistaken), Italy was always a group of city-states and didn't really have much of a national unity (that is why there are many dialects of Italian and they can be quite different).

Anyway blue was one of the primary colors of the old Italian government, from the mid 1800s up until sometime in the mid 20th century. The national team took its color from the old governments flag and it wasn't changed when Italy adopted its tricolor flag today.

thanxxx Izz...

! thats why i said normaly u have the same shirt color as the flag color... i know about the dutch's ;) but thnx anyway..!

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
    usually colour of national team took from the royal colour of the country...at least this are the case with malaysia, japan and holland.... country that dont have royal colur adopt the their flag colour..
    Not always the case :) Our flag is red-white-blue, yet we have green and white kits. It's because our country is supposed to be very green and then also Ljubljana (the capital city of Slovenia) has the green-white in thier flag and a green dragon as a symbol.

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
    I'm not really sure where I read it, think it was @ Puma's site when
    they had signed a deal with Italian NT. didn't find it now! however I may have missed something!?

They had a history about the colours that Italy uses and I remember that
    it was written that the white colour was the home kit before.
    during the final game of a tournament in a very foggy weather they changed to the blue shirt since the white one was hard to discover by the fans.

They won the final, wearing the blue shirt and ppl. started calling them
    GLI AZZURRI and from that day they used the blue away dress as home colours!!!

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    The original flag of the Kingdom of the Netherlands looked like this (this was adopted in 1557 AD):

Later, orange was changed to red when the Kingdom had fallen and the Dutch Republic was founded.

When the monarchy returned, the colour remained red because they royals wanted a democratic monarchy instead of an absolute monarchy and red had become the colour of the people (because it was once the colour of the Republic).

To compromise, an orange pennant is hoisted above the national flag on birthdays of members of the Royal House or other occasions in which the Royal House is involved, except when hoisted half mast. A good solution imo.

Finally, the NT plays in orange jerseys because the Dutch FA is a Royal FA (so RFA, if we're going into details).

In case you're interested :D

Freddy

Feb 1, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Len ] ++
    It doesn't matter about their shirt, all that matters is the three stars on the jersey...
    I guess that comes from the 3 times Italy won the World Cup...am i right !!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    That actually was very interesting. So what's the deal with Dutch/Netherlands/Holland??
    Maybe they're an indecisive people :D

Nah, I think Erik explained this well in a thread before, i think it was made by fabiana. Happy hunting ;)

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Happy hunting ;)

Eh...I'm not really curious enough to put effort in.

Besides I probably asked him a couple years ago and just forgot. It was the only Dutch related question I could think of...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)