Why Are People So Stupid #2 (1 Viewer)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
the power of google my friend.

we are the lazy google generation

...another illusion shattered. I was hoping you were one of these people like say Grisim from CSI, or Bobby from, er, what's it's name, Homicide New York or something, who can quote some obscure, erudite, apt euphamism which fits the moment exactly...yet to meet one of them

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++

...another illusion shattered. I was hoping you were one of these people like say Grisim from CSI, or Bobby from, er, what's it's name, Homicide New York or something, who can quote some obscure, erudite, apt euphamism which fits the moment exactly...yet to meet one of them yet
i havent seen those shows sorry but i can guess what u mean

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #49
    ++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
    You know, to most people, running into a burning building to save a communist icons painting may seem ridiculous, but to others it would be deemed heroic. Please explain Rover.....
    Well, weren't the fireman who risked their lives to save the Turin Shroud classed as hero's?....defying logic to expose themselves to injury or death for what...a piece of iconic cloth. And if the Mona Lisa was involved in some sort of danger from damage, you can bet your bottom dollar that some mug would lose the plot and risk everything...just for some canvas and timber...ahh folks...we are a truly dumb species:down:
    I know what you're saying, but IMO it's a different situation. North Korea is a country where people are brainwashed from childhood to be irrationally loyal to the Communist party and Kim Jong-Il.

They are denied any access to information from the outside world and the situation is almost identical to George Orwell's "1984" in which children report their parents for saying anything that would indicate that they are not 150% devoted to the Communist cause.

It's a grave crime to not have a portrait of both Kim's in one's household, and the North Korean people are taught from childhood that their lives are worth nothing if they are not used for 'the Party'

Compare this to the actions of the firefighters who risked their lives to save the Shroud of Turin. They acted on impulse and a rush of adrenalin, which made them disregard their own safety for a moment, but a North Korean would throw away their life because they genuinely believe that it is worthless.

Not to mention that this is one portrait out of millions we're talking about, not a priceless artwork or a religious symbol

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #53
    i dunno if the person was even speeding, we live on a main road where the limit is 80 kph, which is about....50 mph?

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    Sorry Graham... i looksed at Nala's pic..i just thought you put her for show... i didn't notice the date under it! :wallbang:

I assume it was a car accident from what Josh said... man, i'm really sorry. I was there when it happened to my old friend's dog. he was devistated.

If you need an outlet, make fun of Fred or Don Bes... just kidding, i'll give you permission to bash me for a week if it makes you feel better. :D :clown:

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #56
    Cheers MMMMMM :)

++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
    i'll give you permission to bash me for a week if it makes you feel better. :D :clown:
    Noted :devil:

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++

I know what you're saying, but IMO it's a different situation. North Korea is a country where people are brainwashed from childhood to be irrationally loyal to the Communist party and Kim Jong-Il.

They are denied any access to information from the outside world and the situation is almost identical to George Orwell's "1984" in which children report their parents for saying anything that would indicate that they are not 150% devoted to the Communist cause.

It's a grave crime to not have a portrait of both Kim's in one's household, and the North Korean people are taught from childhood that their lives are worth nothing if they are not used for 'the Party'

Compare this to the actions of the firefighters who risked their lives to save the Shroud of Turin. They acted on impulse and a rush of adrenalin, which made them disregard their own safety for a moment, but a North Korean would throw away their life because they genuinely believe that it is worthless.

Not to mention that this is one portrait out of millions we're talking about, not a priceless artwork or a religious symbol

I appreciate the problems in NK. Many people would say that up until recently the Catholic Church in many countries, even first world countries such as Ireland, had conducted a systematic brainwashing process which impinged upon bullying of the political powers. So NK isn't unique in this.

My point was/is....did these people save the pictures because of a unconciuos, fundamental, overpowering need to do what they completely thought was the right thing to do...or out of fear of not doing it, and having to take the repurcussions of not running into a burning building?

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    Option a. of yours would be done only if it wasnt enforced through reward or punishment in any way. it displays a whole-hearted sincere affection, however unnatural, toward the man and his identity.

option b. would obviously imply force or persuasion by reward pr punishment in some form of the other.

i would say its a combination of both as not only have the people there been 'brainwashed', but rewards/punishments do exist for their reaction to such a situation.

i know it happened with stalin and his portraits in the former soviet union, where even pictures of him were to be treated with utmost respect. so now we even know where this practice originated.

it was done in order to suppress revolts and anti-communist uprisings and it worked surprisingly well, since stalin was never deposed from his position neither was communism removed by grassroots uprising. it took gorbachev to speed that up with his glasnost and perestroika

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)