Who wants a more attacking juve? (1 Viewer)

Alex

May 1, 2004
Juve has always been renowned for THE greatest defense. But currently we have THE crapest of the big clubs. In fact you could find a better defense in England. In Spain Madrid are the best- awesome attacking football which is great to watch. Roma won the Scudetto with Batti, Totti, Cassano and Montella all scoring freely. Arsenal's entire squad are capable of scoring (except a few players who provide a guttsy defense).

And then compare Juve (god knows i love) who are happy to win 1-0 or attack until we get a goal and then sit back. Man U cuurently suck because they have 1 or 2 players that can score- Ruud and Giggs

At the moment Juve have Trezegol

Last season in CL semi against Madrid- best team of late- we went in with 2 goal defecet. So lippi tells us to attack like never before. First half 2 goals and plenty of chances. Why can't we play with this attitude all the time?

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
We can't rely on playing attacking football in Serie A, its much too dangerous. We put out an all-attacking lineup against Lecce and fielded a shite defence and makeshift defensive midfield lineup, and look what happened. Our offside trap sucks and we get hit on the counter much too easily.

As for the game against Real Madrid, it's really not that hard to score against them. Not only did they have a weak back line in the first place, they were missing IMO their best defensive player Makalele. Remember that in that match we also conceded a penalty, and the goal that Zizou scored was very weak indeed, we got caught out bad

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
Graham is right, in order to attack, a good defense line is needed, as well as a strong defensive midfielder.... The match against
lecce makes it clear that u must have a strong defense line if u want to attack...

OP
Alex

Alex

May 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4
    This is whats wrong with juve at the moment. Against Milan and Roma and the other big teams ie Lazio and Inter we used this tactic and look at the results. We didn't beat any of them convincingly.
    In fact the only time this counter attacking game works is against the struggling teams.

For F*%#'s sake were Italian Champions. Why should we fear conceding if we play more aggressive football. Other teams come up against us knowing that they can get a draw if they also defend like you suggest we should.

notice how juve home games always have empty stadiums. its because, lets face it, were turning into a boring team, almost as bad as inter.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    This is whats wrong with juve at the moment. Against Milan and Roma and the other big teams ie Lazio and Inter we used this tactic and look at the results. We didn't beat any of them convincingly.
    In fact the only time this counter attacking game works is against the struggling teams.

For F*%#'s sake were Italian Champions. Why should we fear conceding if we play more aggressive football. Other teams come up against us knowing that they can get a draw if they also defend like you suggest we should.
    I never said that we should explicity counter-attack or defend, but i think it would be a mistake if we played gung-ho and relied on scoring 4 goals a game like Real Madrid do. I like attacking football myself, and I'd love it if we played really entertaining football, but personally I think it's better to win 1-0 by defending the whole match and scoring a penalty, than to field an attacking lineup, play entertaining football, and lose 3-4 at home to teams that are 13th in the table and have scored 30 goals all season

notice how juve home games always have empty stadiums. its because, lets face it, were turning into a boring team, almost as bad as inter.
    AFAIK Delle Alpi has never been used to full capacity, even when we were in our heyday. I guess the citizens of Turin just aren't grateful, I dunno?

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
    its a well known fact that delle alpi is always at less than half capacity, no matter what. Its not a new situation, for many years has been the same.
    It is not related to the playing of offensive or defensive tactics...

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    we are conceding goals like crazy and u want us to play more attacking ?...

the problem is people see things as if everything is bout entertaining them. Trezeguet score lots of goal.... but noo.. he is boring so he isnt good enough... better use Zlatan..sure he score less, but he could dribble a lot more players..:wth:

i would rather won 1-0 vs leece then lose 3-4.. our attack is good enuff already.. just we need to find the cure to the 'big teams' syndrome and we are all set..right now our most immediate task is to patch up the defense.. i would rather us play play more defensively to achive that.. the things about good attacking is they wouldnt help defense... while if you have a good defense , the confidence will spread to the whole team...

a five straignt 1-0s would do the team more good than 'a consecutuve 7-0 and 3-4 results '

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Yes, I would like to see a more offensive Juve.

Yes, I am certain a solid enough offense can even out and beat a mediocre defense behind it.

But that's how it works in Holland, where nobody plays Catenaccio or a new breed thereof. In Serie A, it could well be suicide.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
    i dont want a team like real madrid where we have all attack and nothing else. but our attacking displays this season have been pretty much crappy.

looking at the juve team back in 94/95/96/97/98....we played some awesome attacking football. zidane, del piero, vialli, ravs, boksic and the list goes on. we always had good attacking players and we always had creativity and consistancy. BUT, most importantly, we had a very good balanced team. Defence was the worlds best for those seasons. we had players like sousa, deschamps, davids as defending midfielders, players which are miles ahead of tacchinardi and appiah. we had di livio, pessotto and torricelli in their prime, players who were consistant and could defend as well as attack.

our team isnt like that anymore. we dont have balance, we lack consistancy. we have minimal creation and rely on nedved or camo to attack for us. back then, we had many avenues when attacking, now we dont. we are predictable in our play, and results prove it.

i think that if a natural playmaker could join, and if del piero can get back into form, and somehow find a position upfront for miccoli as well, i think our play will be more attractive. But this cant be done with the players we have now.

OP
    Alex

Alex

May 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #12
    Thanks Adrian for decent reply.
    the rest of you seem to think that we should emphasis our gameplay around our defense. But how can we if it is shit.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Alex, I think you should read posts more thoroughly to understand what people are trying to say. Nobody ever said that we should base our gameplay around defence, we were simply saying that it's too risky to just attack for the sake of attacking. You can't deny that it's a precarious tactic to use, because goals are never guaranteed.

It's all about balance as Adrian said

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Exactly, balance is the key. The reason why Milan, Roma, Arsenal and even Monaco can attack freely is because they have solid defences behind them. I'd love to see Juve play more entertaining football, but for that to happen we need to balance out things first, and we can go about that by signing some quality defenders and maybe a DM.

OP
    Alex

Alex

May 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #16
    Egyptian apparently you also support monaco and arsenal. I suppose next year you will support Milan? Hey Hey

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Egyptian apparently you also support monaco and arsenal. I suppose next year you will support Milan? Hey Hey
    Oh leave him alone. There's nothing wrong with liking more than one team.

You seem to fancy Real Madrid a fair bit, let's talk about that

Aug 1, 2003
    Equilibirum.

Again I shall repeat the statements above, balance is key. If Juve is too concentrated on attack it'd be very sad. What would an Italian team be without defence?

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    What would an Italian team be without defence?
    Don't know, maybe Ancona??

Alex, keep on the good work, you're definitely my favourite already... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)