who should stay trez or nedved (1 Viewer)

Len

Feb 13, 2004
I really don't want Neddy to leave, but if the money and the offer is irresistable, then he should go.
Trez, without doubt should leave also

slack

Dec 13, 2002
Both must stay if Juve has any ambitions.

Financially, Juve are in the red for the 1st time in 7 years but the problem has been forthcoming for a while. It points down to deeper, more fundamental financial problems (why did you think Moggi re-negotiated to performance-based wages?), doesn't it? Hence, what makes anyone think that selling our best players will rectify the financial problem for more than a season? As a PLC, I'd think that the money acquired will be used to offset the existing losses, NOT purchasing new players ... not unless anyone wants to go the 'bubbly' way like Lazio and Roma to appear bigger than they actually are. Nobody in their right minds pisses off their shareholders/investors and there aren't many better ways to do so than unjustified spending.

Footballing-wise, again, what makes anybody think we can replace players in the category of Nedved and Trez instantly? Young talents are good and all but for the fact that they usually take a few seasons to blossom. Meanwhile, what do we do? Isn't this wasting the 'peak' time of our current core men? I hardly think babysitting them in critical positions such as Nedved's and Trez's is such a good idea. In any case, I doubt that the same people clamouring for such changes will have the patience to see them out before screaming for the same thing again in 6mths. Where does that leave us then? The best part of prospects (or something which you cannot get) is that they appear extremely interesting but reality's quite another thing. Juve is very much in touch with the latter.

Personally, I think our attackers have done wonderfully well individually in a flawed collective system.

Basically, if they aren't the problem, they shouldn't be made to shoulder it all.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Point noted. But whose saying we need to sell more than half the team? There is no doubt we need new blood in defense. And thats going to require cash. Which is why it makes sense to get rid of some1 like Nedved when you can still cash in on his prowess. Hes 31, and i dont think he can get ne better than this. There is no doubt that its hard to sell half the team and wait patiently while thier successors blossom, but selling one player and getting his replacement, would not really affect teamplay as drasticallly as most make it out to be. Sooner or later, we're going to have to learn to play without Nedved, so why not do so when you can make something of it, and get a potentially goood replacement while we're at it?

slack

Dec 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
Point noted. But whose saying we need to sell more than half the team? There is no doubt we need new blood in defense. And thats going to require cash. Which is why it makes sense to get rid of some1 like Nedved when you can still cash in on his prowess. Hes 31, and i dont think he can get ne better than this. There is no doubt that its hard to sell half the team and wait patiently while thier successors blossom, but selling one player and getting his replacement, would not really affect teamplay as drasticallly as most make it out to be. Sooner or later, we're going to have to learn to play without Nedved, so why not do so when you can make something of it, and get a potentially goood replacement while we're at it?
Can you kindly point out exactly where the suggestion was that half the team needs to be sold? What I did was point out some realities of the situation that the cash some thought was there to be had after selling will not necessarily be available for use.

As for Nedved, here's a top-notch physical specimen who probably has at least another 3 good years left in him. Here's also a guy who's instrumental in Juve's success since he joined, especially in the year just passed. For one who has no desire to leave (unlike ZZ), there's perpetual talk about discarding him at the slightest suggestion of interest. So, that's the reward for striving to perform to one's highest - to be simply booted out at every opportunity. Honestly, I don't know what kind of message is this conveying to the squad and the rest of the footballing world. On one hand, people talk about the great institution that Juve is, how nobody's bigger than the club while at the same time, they encourage the club behave like some cheap peddlar on the streets ever ready to part with his wares to the highest bidder. Likewise for Thuram, Trez (our topscorer and at only 27) and the favourite scapegoat, DP. Something's wrong here, no? While at it, people should stop assuming Juve will get away with selling big and buying cheap all the time.

Sentiments aside, teamplay is exactly what I am getting at. These guys are and have been playing like a bunch of individuals. That's why its always the same few guys who get hailed like heroes at one point and flayed the very next. Collectively, while the spirit and commitment is admirable, the technical aspect is a joke. The system is seriously flawed and this team is playing way below their potential. What's the point then of chopping and changing your core individuals when they aren't really the problem? Fixing the wrong thing doesn't yield a solution. Getting a proper midfield (even more so than defence) would be a good start along the right way.

epitaph

Feb 16, 2004
its hard to choose actually..both of them are good and very talented..for me nedved is such a great playmaker and trez kinda outstanding forward..well for me i cant afford to loose both of them in the team..yeah i think they deserve to stay..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)