Who is Pazze for Pato? --was: Juve linked with Pato and more U-20's (35 Viewers)

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Yeah you're right, I'm behind in the news since coming back from the beach.

or maybe its the time zone :p

I think that's a good move for him at this point. With Benfica losing Simao and Miccoli, Freddy will get some playing time and hopefully he impresses enough to become a regular for Santos' side. Hopefully Rui Costa will be a good influence on him.

Thank God he didn't choose the EPL though.

for some reason i think he should have gone to holland.(psv or ajax).

Buy on AliExpress.com

francesco

Till death do us part!
Jul 25, 2006
the portuguese league is a fairly good league where youngsters get a chance to prove themselves, im sure Adu will succeed at Benfica.
Anywhere but Inter i say.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Yeah you're right, I'm behind in the news since coming back from the beach.

I think that's a good move for him at this point. With Benfica losing Simao and Miccoli, Freddy will get some playing time and hopefully he impresses enough to become a regular for Santos' side. Hopefully Rui Costa will be a good influence on him.

Thank God he didn't choose the EPL though.
Freddy may do well at Benfica. They have some sizeable shoes to fill there this season. I don't see Benfica making a successful run to catch up with Porto per se, but a lot of the top stars of the Superliga have left for other countries. I saw a friendly between Porto and Boavista yesterday, and I couldn't recognize half the Porto squad. And both Sporting and Benfica have had a player exodus to Spain.

It should create some good playing opportunities for Adu. Benfica's big news in midfield, besides losing Simão on the wing, was getting back Manuel Fernandes -- who has been dying a horrible death in Couceiro's youth squads as well as playing a little overseas. He's a solid, young DM that might be a nice youth complement to Adu.

And while all signs are in Lisbon that Rui Costa is going to make a run at team captain at Benfica, if not ultimately also their coach someday, he spends too much time either injured or catching his breath to keep the likes of Adu off the field for very long.

the portuguese league is a fairly good league where youngsters get a chance to prove themselves, im sure Adu will succeed at Benfica.
Anywhere but Inter i say.
Of course, the best place for youngsters to prove themselves in the Superliga is Sporting Lisbon, hands down. Sheesh -- with Ricardo, Custodio and their ilk leaving (not to mention Nani off to ManU, etc.), João Moutinho is now their official team captain at the ripe age of 20. :shocked:

Sporting has always been the scrappier team who develops youth players before they get too expensive to afford to keep them.

I did catch Sporting play a friendly a week ago against Lille and they spanked the Frenchies. Moutinho was pulling his best Deco impersonation.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Freddy may do well at Benfica. They have some sizeable shoes to fill there this season. I don't see Benfica making a successful run to catch up with Porto per se, but a lot of the top stars of the Superliga have left for other countries. I saw a friendly between Porto and Boavista yesterday, and I couldn't recognize half the Porto squad. And both Sporting and Benfica have had a player exodus to Spain.

It should create some good playing opportunities for Adu. Benfica's big news in midfield, besides losing Simão on the wing, was getting back Manuel Fernandes -- who has been dying a horrible death in Couceiro's youth squads as well as playing a little overseas. He's a solid, young DM that might be a nice youth complement to Adu.
I only was able to see Fernandes play one match for Everton, and I recall him scoring a brilliant goal and being involved. Perhaps that was the Manure match, but I was always impressed when I saw him play for Benfica. When I learned of his loan move to Everton I was a little shocked because he has more promise than playing for them and was such an important player for Benfica, so it didn't make any sense. Hopefully he'll make a good companion for Freddy.

And while all signs are in Lisbon that Rui Costa is going to make a run at team captain at Benfica, if not ultimately also their coach someday, he spends too much time either injured or catching his breath to keep the likes of Adu off the field for very long.
:lol2: Gotta love Rui Costa. He's one of the most technically superb players to ever play the game. The way he moves with the ball at his feet is simply artistic.

Of course, the best place for youngsters to prove themselves in the Superliga is Sporting Lisbon, hands down. Sheesh -- with Ricardo, Custodio and their ilk leaving (not to mention Nani off to ManU, etc.), João Moutinho is now their official team captain at the ripe age of 20. :shocked:

Sporting has always been the scrappier team who develops youth players before they get too expensive to afford to keep them.

I did catch Sporting play a friendly a week ago against Lille and they spanked the Frenchies. Moutinho was pulling his best Deco impersonation.
Moutinho is an amazing talent. I hope Juventus goes looking for him as he's easily one of the best talents in the world. However, it has to be said that when he played in that Olympic qualifier against the Azzurrini he didn't look all that amazing... probably because our own Nocerino was causing him problems. ;)

But Forza Freddy. I hope he steps it up in Portugal and works hard, hopefully not following in the footsteps of the world's biggest pussy, Landon Momaboy Donovan.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
landon donovan, what an overhyped player, i still think if hes to make it in europe he should join a club like ajax or another dutch club
He's too much of a pussy. He didn't work hard enough at Leverkusen and when he came back he stated he wanted to be in California close to his mom and girlfriend, and that's why he didn't do well in Germany. He's overhyped indeed and nothing more than a pussy.

It's a goddamn shame he's our most notable player. Pisses me off to high heaven.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Moutinho is an amazing talent. I hope Juventus goes looking for him as he's easily one of the best talents in the world. However, it has to be said that when he played in that Olympic qualifier against the Azzurrini he didn't look all that amazing... probably because our own Nocerino was causing him problems. ;)
Partly. But when I mentioned Couceiro's youth squads, I'm also partially including the Portugal Olympic squad there. I can't remember I last saw a nation crater so badly with such a level a talent as the Portuguese have for the U-21 Euro this year, the U-20 World Cup this year, and the U-21 Cup last year.

Nani, who was man of the match against Belgium's adult NT when playing in a Euro 2008 qualifier earlier last month, looked absolutely pathetic against Belgium's U-21 Euro 2007 squad a couple weeks later. It's bizarre.

So hard to say what Moutinho would be capable of outside of the Portuguese youth squad stigma these days. He's played well in his few starts for the adult NT, however.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Pato sets decision day Wednesday 1 August, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highly-rated Brazilian striking starlet Alexandre Pato has set an August 15 deadline to decide whether he will join Milan or Real Madrid.

The 17-year-old, nicknamed 'The Duck’ :D, has been tracked by a host of top European sides including Chelsea, Liverpool and Inter, but is now ready to join either the Rossoneri or the Merengues.

Internacional of Porto Alegre have reportedly demanded £15m for the youngster’s signature, but his rescission clause is set at just £9m.

“My dad is on his way back from a tour of Italy and Spain where he got to know the set-up at Milan and Real,” Pato told website globoesporte.com.

“Pato will decide in the next few days,” his father confirmed. “Things surely can’t continue in this unsure manner so we have to decide one way and end this saga.

“We will resolve this before August 15 once and for all as there is no point in renewing his contract at Internacional.”

Pato will only leave the newly-promoted Colorado when the Brazilian Serie A season ends in December.

channel 4

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Pato moves towards Milan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brazilian starlet Alexandre Pato has given a clear indication that he is set to choose Milan over Real Madrid.

Having been chased by a number of top European sides including Chelsea, Liverpool and Inter, Pato has narrowed the field down to just two options.

The 17-year-old striker has set an August 15 deadline to decide whether to join the Rossoneri or the Spanish champions, but now seems to be leaning towards the Diavoli.

“Ronaldo has always been my great idol and I would be very happy to play alongside him,” he told Spanish newspaper Sport.

“He spoke to me about Milan and had only positive things to say. The Rossoneri are a very big club with a strong squad.”

According to Sport, the fee for Pato is set at around £10m to the youngster’s club Internacional and a further £5m to be divided between the player and his agent Gilmar Veloz.

channel 4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 35)