Who Can Stop Spanish Football Dominating Europe? (1 Viewer)

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
After all four Spanish clubs won their opening Champions League matches this week I have to ask - who can stop them?

On Tuesday night we saw Real Madrid humiliate Roma on their own turf and Valencia outclass Liverpool in the Mestalla. On Wednesday Deportivo, or more specifically Roy Makaay, won in Munich against the mighty Bayern. Finally, and considerably less impressively, Barcelona won 3-2 against Club Brugge at the Nou Camp.

Valencia, the Spanish champions, were simply a better team than Liverpool, who lets not forget came second in the Premiership last season. While Roma, who were also runners-up last season, were beaten 3-0 at the Olimpico by undoubtedly the biggest team in the World, Real Madrid. Bayern Munich are currently top of the Bundesliga yet they saw their five year unbeaten home record in Europe ended by La Liga runners-up Deportivo. Barcelona's victory was frankly to be expected.

This impressive achievement doesn't come as a surprise though, as lets not forget Real Madrid have won three of the last five Champions Leagues, while Valencia have reached the final in two of the last three seasons.

So who is going to stop the Spanish domination?

Manchester United are a long way from their best, but that doesn't mean they should be written off by any means. The final in May is to take place at Old Trafford and who would bet against them being there? A more realistic candidate from the Premiership is Arsenal. The Gunners have not impressed in the Champions League in recent years and are yet to get past the quarter-finals, however Arsene Wenger's side are in outstanding form as they showed by easily beating German Champions Borussia Dortmund at Highbury on Tuesday.

So onto Germany. Last years runners-up Bayer Leverkusen were humbled 6-2 by Olympiakos and are unlikely to be a threat this year after losing the likes of Michael Ballack in the summer. Ballack, Ze Roberto and Diesler have made their way to Bayern and despite their defeat Ottmar Hitzfeld's team are certainly contenders.

Italian football is in need of a boost and quickly after the World Cup disappointment and the off field problems experienced by the majority of their clubs, not to mention their disappointing record in Europe over the past few years. Milan started with a victory at home to Lens, but are still going to be up against it in the Group of Death along with Deportivo and Bayern. Marcello Lippi's Juventus are certainly candidates this season and will only get better as their injured party make their way back into the team.

I firmly believe the Spanish league is by far the best league in Europe and this weeks performances goes to show exactly that and I will continue to believe this until results prove otherwise.

So Why has Spain become so powerful?

The organised English sides of the seventies and early eighties were almost untouchable in Europe. The hardworking, tough tackling and no thrills sides such as Bob Paisley's Liverpool and Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest made up the best part of a six-year winning streak for English clubs, but like most things in life their run came to an end.

Next up came Italy's time to dominate. From the late eighties to the late nineties Italy enjoyed a representative in the final of Europe's biggest club competition for nine out of ten years. Italian clubs mastered the art of defending, while introducing a technical side of their game which the English clubs couldn't compete with.

However Italian clubs have found their formula no longer works as they have failed to have semi-finalist in each of the last few competitions, while couldn't even manage a representative in the quarter-finals last year.

So Spain's care-free, attack minded brand of football now seems to do the trick. Spanish clubs have made up seven of the last 12 semi-finalist, which is a phenomenal feet and it they get the luck if the draw what is stopping them having all four semi-finalists this year?

Tactics are only part of what makes a great team. The players are far more important and currently Spanish clubs seem to be able to attract the best players from all over the World. Ronaldo is a prime example. They also seem to have been slightly less effected by the financial crisis which is gripping football.

Finally, Spain also arguably has the best flock of youngsters of any European country at the moment. Torres, Portillo, Raul Bravo, Vicente, Reyes, Luque...etc, etc.

The future is bright, the future is Spanish.

(Written By: Rob Hogley, soccerage.com )

Buy on AliExpress.com

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
The article is well written, except for the end.....

Well obviousy each league has its glory-days where they start kicking ass.

We've had ours already. This is a tough period for us, but we should wait a bit. It'll certainly come, but only when we recognise the need for Italian teams in the CL.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Who can stop the Spanish? On their day anyone can! We all know what Arsenal and Man U can do when at their best,if one of them can continue to hit form they could very well be the lot to stop the Spanish from dominating.

What about the Germans? Leverkusen wont be a threat this year,but Bundesliga holders and Uefa Cup finalists Borussia Dortmund,dispite going down to Arsenal midweek,are capable of downing the likes of Super Depor,Barca,etc when they have a full strength team and are on song. Bayern lost to Depor on Wednesday,so what? I can assure,they will be back with a bang,and possible a tournament winning one!

Onto the Italians. In the past few years Italian teams have struggled in the Champions League,especially last year. I think this year will be the year for things to change. Inter didn't look thoroughly impressive in Trondheim against Rosenborg,but with the likes of Fabio Cannavaro,Stefan Dalmat,Alvaro Recoba,Christian Vieri and Hernan Crespo at their disposal,anything can happen. Milan triumphed against Lens in their CL opener,and look a strong foe. With Nesta and Rivaldo now at the club,and with Pirlo,Rui Costa and Inzaghi on top form,the Milan giants will be sure to play a part in this years Quarter Finals,at least...Scudetto holders Juve will also be in with a shout as inspirational captain Alessandro Del Piero is in truly phenomenal form...

I truly believe that there will be a non Spanish Champions League champions this season!

FORZA JUVE

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
nice post DPF :thumb:

i think the only way italy will once dominate european football is to attack more, while still using their prime assets. Example: Milan have arguably the best attacking squad in Italy, and they also a good looking defence. Now what they have to do is attack. And dont wholly rely on the strikers. Example: Valencia dont only rely on Carew and Salva for the goals. So what im saying is that the top italian sides have to attack more, since they already have well established defenders. and rely on the midfield and strikers, not just strikers.....

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Perhaps Italian teams... Juve, Milan and Inter seem strong again!

England can have a serious shot as well but only through Arsenal and Man Utd.

Germany only has Bayern München good enough but they're out of shape at the moment. Leverkusen has collapsed and Borussia Dortmund has been beaten by Feyenoord.

The Dutch simply aren't powerful enough as usual. Perhaps if we give Ajax some more time to recover!

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
++ [ originally posted by ErikP ] ++
The Dutch simply aren't powerful enough as usual. Perhaps if we give Ajax some more time to recover!

Erik I want to beat you up. Why do u speak my mind??? :fero::D:cool:

seriously u do speak my mind on this one :cheesy::cheesy:

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Italian teams have always been strong and they have just one major flaw imo and that is that they think individuals make a team

I am reading that Milan bought Nesta and Rivaldo coupled with Seedorf etc but do they really have a team that compliments one another

Inter well they have bought the moon and the sky but could not beat Rosenborg and when you buy ythe best or one of the best central defenders in the world then like Juve, you play him at right back then you see where the probs lie

Roma are very good but probably the most rigid of all the teams as it always surprises me that they look weaker if either Totti, cafu or Candela is missing

Juventus are the most equipped to succeed in Europe but just lack that extra bit of class when push comes to shove

In England, Arsenal play very well when they are given the space to do so, same with Manchester united, so whether their players are fit or not, I am not sure they are good enough to beat Europe's elite

Spain they play football the way it should be played, simple, not too much emphasis on tactics and not too many players in the wrong positions

I still feel if any team is going to stop Real madrid though it will be Bayern, do not know why but Real Madrid do have probs beating Bayern

Of the Spanish teams the one that i feel will fall by the way side is Barca as they are probably the one out of the 4 where its more an individual thing than a team effort and they are the one spanish team i do not feel Italian teams will have probs beating

Then again all this is bollocks and Arsenal and Liverpool will meet at Old Trafford which will cause every Man united supporter to ............

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
I still feel if any team is going to stop Real madrid though it will be Bayern, do not know why but Real Madrid do have probs beating Bayern
As weird as it is - I think you're right. There's something about the Germans; they just never give up and they never show too much respect for their opponent which can be lethal. Just look at Feyenoord in the European SuperCup!

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++

That's what I'm afraid of :down: But you see, another spanish team has already beat Bayern! Super Depor!!!:cool:

But I agree with u, no teams unstopable, including El Real ;)

Forza Juve!

Aug 30, 2002
call me biased but i believe manu will win it this year... the final is at Old Trafford and Sir Alex Ferguson really wants to win it more than the league since he's on the verge of retirement. They've started the season slowly but that is very deceptive due mainly to all their injuries.

Really, as for judging who is going to do what after the first round of champs league results... well, lets calm down a little, we'll have a better idea in a couple of weeks time

Sivori

Jul 17, 2002
Hey Tom, what kind of hat is it?

Is it a Stetson? A top-hat? one of those old fashioned english ball-hats? Maybe its one of those chinese hats, eh? A sombrero, maybe? A Fez? Don't tell me it's a regular baseball cap? Could it be one of those things that Muammar Ghadaffi wears? So if it's not a regular sombrero is it the Urban sombrero? Am I getting warmer, huh, am I? Is it a Balaklava, coz that's not really a hat. It's one of those big russian ones made out of mink, isn't it? Maybe yours is made out of rat, eh? Are there bells attached to it?

;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)