Which Players should Lippi Pick? (1 Viewer)

GRK

Guitar God
Oct 19, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
For the goalkeeping spots obviously Buffon has the numero uno, while we have to wait and see how Abbiati plays for Juve to consider taking him. De Sanctis is still a very good keep.

Nesta, Cannavaro, Zambrotta are certainly going and IMO should be followed by this select few:

Oddo
Bonera
Barzagli
Falcone
Grosso
Chiellini
(latter two could be used in midfield)

For the midfield Camoranesi, Pirlo, Gattuso, Totti all have a place in the squad, and so do these players IMO:

PALOMBO
De Rossi
Fiore

In attack Gilardino and Cassano will have a place in the team, and also Toni will be taken to Germany because I think he will have a great season for La Viola. He's an underrated forward who is basically the prototypical target man Italy needs, especially with Vieri not doing much to warrant a place in the side. Also:

Di Michele
Lucarelli
Del Piero

Good post.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
toni has a great chance of making the squad,but will he be in the starting 11 from the word go?
i dont think so.gilardino and cassano will probably be the ones lippi would use in the start.

---------------buffon-----------------
bonera----nesta----cannavaro----zambrotta
-----------gattuso------------------
------fiore------------pirlo
-----------totti----------
-----casasno---gilardino

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
How many players are actually going? Say 25.. here is my proposition:

GK: Buffon, De Sanctis, Roma (Peruzzi)
DF: R: Bonera, Zaccardo (Oddo), C: Cannavaro, Nesta, Materazzi, Barzagli, L: Zambrotta, Grosso (Chiellini, Favalli, Pancaro)
MF: Totti, Pirlo, Gattuso, Camoranesi, De Rossi, Diana, Blasi, Fiore (Barone)
AT: Gilardino, Cassano, Toni, Vieri, Del Piero (Iaquinta)

Buffon; Bonera, Cannavaro, Nesta, Zambrotta; Camoranesi, Pirlo, Gattuso; Totti; Cassano, Gilardino

:star:

Other possible candidates (I have included every player that has featured for the Azzuri since Lippi took over and and a couple more :D): Abbiati, Antonioli, Curci, Pelizzoli, Storari, Panucci, Felipe (is he italian?), Cassetti, Terlizzi, Legrottaglie, Dainelli, Volpi, Baronio, Corini, Donadel, Mauri, Pinzi, Maresca, Morfeo, Mesto, Coppola, Langella, Esposito, Rocchi, Di Vaio, Brienza, Di Natale, Di Michele, Miccoli, Pazzini, Montella, Corradi, Caracciolo, Bonazzoli, Lucarelli...

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
So it's not 25 but 23...:undecide:

Right now I don't know about Roma, as he's out with a lengthy injury which could mean surgery so he might have problems recovering in time. Abbiati could replace him, or Peruzzi. Chiellini will most likely go to the olympics with Italy, while the doors are still open for Oddo if he keeps up his good form. Blasi hasn't played much this season and hardly will, so I doubt Lippi will take him. Corini could replace him. Similar story with Vieri, although his chances are bigger, and Cassano, although I doubt he will be benched forever. Iaquinta must start scoring again if he wants to go to the world cup, and Del Piero should make it I think, especially if Cassano won't. Guys like Miccoli and Caracciolo could just make it if injuries strike.

Luigito

Mar 22, 2003
GK
Buffon
De Santis
Abbiati(Amelia)

DF
Nesta
Cannavaro
Zambrotta
Grosso
Zaccardo
Barzagli
Chiellini
Materazzi

Md
Pirlo
Gatusso
Totti
Camoranesi
De Rossi
Barone
Blasi(Diana, Palombo,)

Fw
Del Piero
Gilardino
Toni
Iaquinta
Cassano

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Camoranesi16 said:
GK?

D?

M?

S?

Grosso should be picked 100%

Im hoping Perotta comes back in form!

I dont think Del Piero will make it because of his talent. he will make it because of his fame.
WOW A Swedish person asking about the Italian team and disparaging Dp, what a surprise?
I have made concerted effort to ignore idiots who constantly bring up stupid Dp-Zlatan garbage.
Reading in a thread about Italy how Zlatan would not have been good enuff to do such and such is just annoying
Good thread but wrong person to create it

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Since the new season has started, there wil some players that r on-form and some that r not. Of course Lippi would make a final decision after the season

Currently Fiore and Bonazzoli gets the nod.

djleli

Aug 12, 2004
how can many of use say that cassano has a starting role in the national team he shouldent even be consdered as a reserve, he hasnt played for ages and as lippi said if he doesnt play regularly again it is imposible for him to be selected.
my formation

--------------------------buffon-------------------------
Grosso---Cannavaro---------Nesta------Zambrotta-
--------camoranesi-------Pirlo-----Gattuso-----------
---------------------Del Piero-------------------------
---------Toni---------------------Gilardino------------

totti is disgracefull i would be really happy if i dont see him in the nt

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Totti may not be a likeable person but he's a must in the Italy set-up. His attitude pisses me off as well but he's a top player and should be in the side.

If Cassano doesn't play then it would be wrong to pick him over guys like Del Piero, Di Michele, Lucarelli and Bonazzoli but I hope for Italy's sake that Cassano sorts out his situation and finds some good form because on his day he's a fabulous player and links with Totti superbly well. Italy could have one of the best attacks at these championships with Totti and Cassano creating behind Toni or Gilardino if everyone is in the correct frame of mind.

Lippi is absolutely right when he says that DP is doing well when he plays even though his playing time is limited but for me he has to get more minutes and perform consistently in order to merit a place in the squad. IMO the only thing keeping Alex in the Italy squad at the moment is lack of competition for the support striker spot. With Cassano not playing Del Piero's only real threat is Di Michele who I don't think Lippi really rates. I don't reckon Miccoli, Di Vaio or Di Natale will be considered so...

Materazzi shouldn't be there, simple as that. I haven't seen Parma play at all so far this season so I can't comment on Bonera but I'd think that Oddo and Zaccardo would be ahead of him in the pecking order. Camoranesi, Pirlo, Gattuso and De Rossi are obvious selections. I'd have Fiore in there as well and if Maresca does well enough in Spain with Sevilla he, along with Barone, could be in contention. Personally I've always liked Enzo and he's looked good when I've seen him so far this season.

Buffon
Oddo - Nesta - Cannavaro - Zambrotta
Camoranesi - Pirlo - De Rossi
Totti
Toni - Cassano

De Sanctis
Zaccardo - Bonera - Barzagli - Grosso
Gattuso - Barone/Maresca - Fiore
Del Piero
Gilardino - Lucarelli

The third keeper would be Flavio Roma or Peruzzi.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Like I already said before, DP should start. Individually Totti's definitely the better player, but IMO the Azzurri play better when DP takes the playmaker role.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)