Where to find great coffee in Turin? (1 Viewer)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Just about as much as I am a fan of Juve, I'm a fanatic for great Italian espresso.

I'll be in Turin in May for the first time (to catch a couple of games, of course!), and I was wondering if anyone had recommendations of where to find great coffee. Conventional wisdom being that Turin is one of the finest places in the world for espresso.

I know of San Tomasso (on Via San Tomasso) as the birthplace of Lavazza. I've heard about Al Bicerin, though it's known more for its namesake drink. I've heard good things about Caffe Torino at Piazza San Carlo (and stepping on the balls of the bull), Bar Zucca on Via Roma, Baratti & Milano and Mulassano at Piazza Castello, etc. But I was wondering if anyone had recommendations about the coffee being better at any of these places.

And of course, particularly relevant to this group, there will be a mandatory pilgrimage to Caffe Platti -- regardless of the coffee quality. ;)

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
if you are going to Turin, then its not coffe you want, Its Bicerin. And I'm sure that the places you mentioned will make it. Paul (Shadowfax) goes to Turin all the time, so he'd be able to help you out.

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if i was able to go to turin(hopefully,i'll go this summer :D )

i would love coffee everywhere!!!!!!!!!!

i would buy any coffee and go to delle alpi!!

take pictures and send us!!

OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by Lilianna ] ++
    take pictures and send us!!
    Deal! So stay tuned...

And to quote myself on this thread:
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
    And of course, particularly relevant to this group, there will be a mandatory pilgrimage to Caffe Platti -- regardless of the coffee quality.
    For the perhaps many out there who could not understandably make out my obtuse comment above, Caffe Platti is considered the birthplace of Juventus.

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #12
    Epilogue on this thread...

First, pictures and videos of Turin/the last two Juve games coming to a new thread near you. (As soon as I can get the video transferred off the equipment!)

But to give you the scouting report from my recent travels:

* San Tomasso on Via San Tomasso: Heavy on Lavazza as its birthplace. They make a mean espresso, though. Among the very few best in all of Turin that I found. But don't order an "espressò" -- it's some kooky dessert-like concoction of frozen balls of gelato-like stuff put in a cappuccino cup (the business guys in suits seem to go for it though).

* Caffe Torino at Piazza San Carlo: Very good espresso... and very high-falootin' down along Via Roma.

*Baratti & Milano at Piazza Castello: It's in the front of an awesome old theater building. The espresso comes in big cups (not a good thing) and was relatively weak by Turin standards. Still, not bad.

*Mulassano at Piazza Castello: Excellent espresso. And the barista is a complete ham. It's worth ordering one just to watch the guy put on a show -- complete with animated coffee grinding and flagrant shot pulls. It's the equivalent of a back-heel pass to a bicycle kick in football.

Didn't do the bicerin thing, as I was too busy sampling some of the best espresso in the world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)