Where do Real Madrid get their money? (4 Viewers)

OP
Paid-off-Ref

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #42
    I wonder why other clubs don't follow Madrid's example. For example, Milan has been a very popular club everywhere because of their Champions League success in recent years and their entertaining way of playing. Still, they did nothing to capitalize on that. Kaka could have brought in lots of sponsorship money, and that is just obvious to anyone. Still they did very little to capitalize on that. I saw one Sony commercial on TV with Kaka. I know he did billboards for Armani in Italy. In my view Italian clubs think nationally and not globally. Thinking globally is what counts today.

The Madrid Delusion
    Real Madrid in my view wasn't the biggest name in football until a few years ago. Before that Man. Utd, Juventus and Milan were bigger. Madrid didn't have any obvious advantage to anyone. In the early 2000s they got people to believe that they were the greatest thing on earth by clever marketing not recent success on the field (Although they did win the European Cup in 2000 and 2002). To be fair, they have won more European Cups than anyone, but most them were won for ever ago in the 50s. Other clubs had been more successful in the last few decades (For example Milan). Hell, Juventus made 3 finals in a row in the late 1990s and the directors saw no potential in marketing that. Man Utd. won the Premiership over and over again and treble in 1999 so they could have easily claimed they were the greatest club in the world.
    Fact is, that any great club could have marketed themselves the way Real Madrid did by claiming they were the second coming. Madrid was the only club that actually did that. Buying the world's biggest stars and then say you are "the most glamorous club in the world" gets people to believe it. Prestige matters most when it comes to money. Success on the field doesn't count as much. It's wierd, but I believe that Barcelona owes Real Madrid a lot for bringing prestige to the La Liga in the 2000s. I seriously doubt that Barcelona would have become the Barcelona of Messi, Henry, Ronaldinho if it wasn't for Real Madrid.

Apr 12, 2004
    I wonder why other clubs don't follow Madrid's example. For example, Milan has been a very popular club everywhere because of their Champions League success in recent years and their entertaining way of playing. Still, they did nothing to capitalize on that. Kaka could have brought in lots of sponsorship money, and that is just obvious to anyone. Still they did very little to capitalize on that. I saw one Sony commercial on TV with Kaka. I know he did billboards for Armani in Italy. In my view Italian clubs think nationally and not globally. Thinking globally is what counts today.

The Madrid Delusion
    Real Madrid in my view wasn't the biggest name in football until a few years ago. Before that Man. Utd, Juventus and Milan were bigger. Madrid didn't have any obvious advantage to anyone. In the early 2000s they got people to believe that they were the greatest thing on earth by clever marketing not recent success on the field (Although they did win the European Cup in 2000 and 2002). To be fair, they have won more European Cups than anyone, but most them were won for ever ago in the 50s. Other clubs had been more successful in the last few decades (For example Milan). Hell, Juventus made 3 finals in a row in the late 1990s and the directors saw no potential in marketing that. Man Utd. won the Premiership over and over again and treble in 1999 so they could have easily claimed they were the greatest club in the world.
    Fact is, that any great club could have marketed themselves the way Real Madrid did by claiming they were the second coming. Madrid was the only club that actually did that. Buying the world's biggest stars and then say you are "the most glamorous club in the world" gets people to believe it. Prestige matters most when it comes to money. Success on the field doesn't count as much. It's wierd, but I believe that Barcelona owes Real Madrid a lot for bringing prestige to the La Liga in the 2000s. I seriously doubt that Barcelona would have become the Barcelona of Messi, Henry, Ronaldinho if it wasn't for Real Madrid.
    :lol2:

clown

OP
    Paid-off-Ref

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #45
    ßüякε;2033091 said:
    Show me one stat of the estimated amount of fans from 1990-2000 that shows that Real Madrid was the most popular club in the world at sometime during that time. Or go back and look at the earliest Deloitte rich list reports and show me that Real Madrid was bigger than all the clubs I mentioned. Real Madrid became so popular not because of recent success, but inspite of it.

"The Italian duo of Juventus and AC Milan are in 2nd and 3rd position respectively, their positions supported by the largest broadcasting incomes in world football and their appearance in the 2003 Champions’ League Final. Whilst the Spanish giants, Real Madrid, may have a reputation as the world’s number one glamour club, they hold 4th position in the Deloitte Football Rich List. Schalke 04 is the only debutant in the top 20, positioned at 14th thanks to an enterprising stadium development and strong domestic performance." - Deloitte for the 2002-2003 season, http://deloitte-touche.org/dtt/press_release/0,1014,cid%3D41013,00.html

This was before the Perez marketing revolution peaked with the Beckham effect. As you can see, as more and more time passes since Real Madrid enjoyed their last European Cup success the richer (In comparison to others) they have gotten.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
    The Madrid Delusion
    :shifty: you're serious !!

OP
    Paid-off-Ref

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #47
    If people took their time and looked at the Deloitte Football Money League reports after each season they would probably understand this. Madrid became the biggest club in the world in the year 2005. Before that Man Utd was the biggest club in football, often (not always) followed by Juventus. Below is the report released in 2006 which covers the 2004-2005 season.

http://www.deloitte.com/dtt/article/0,1002,cid%3D145131,00.html

If people would bother to look at the numbers instead of calling me a clown they'd probably say something more productive.

2001 annual turnover:

1. Man Utd. 217 million euros
    2. Juventus 173 million euros
    2. Bayern Munich 173 million euros.
    3. AC Milan 164 million euros
    4. Real Madrid 138 million euros

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
    If people took their time and looked at the Deloitte Football Money League reports after each season they would probably understand this. Madrid became the biggest club in the world in the year 2005. Before that Man Utd was the biggest club in football, often (not always) followed by Juventus. Below is the report released in 2006 which covers the 2004-2005 season.

http://www.deloitte.com/dtt/article/0,1002,cid%3D145131,00.html

If people would bother to look at the numbers instead of calling me a clown they'd probably say something more productive.
    It's not money that decides which club is the best or biggest in the world if thats true then both chelski and man shity would be up there on top of the list.

Madrid won more champions league titles than any club in the world, they've had legands playing for their team for the past 50-60 years.

Madrid is a global name and it's always been a global club. Thats a fact my friend .....

OP
    Paid-off-Ref

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #49
    No, the money that is generated by the club itself counts. That's why Man City and Chelsea are not the biggest clubs in the world because someone else is paying their expenses. Madrid became the powerful global brand that it is today during this decade. Sure before they had fans all over the world like other clubs, but probably nothing compared to how many they have today.
    Money says a lot about the size of the club. For example television companies such as SKY don't just give money away when they pay clubs for their TV rights. They pay clubs based on the number of people who watch their games. Thus the most popular clubs generate most income from that(if it's not collective like in England). Juventus has a bigger TV contract than Siena for this very reason, as more people watch their games. This also applies to sponsorships. When you have your company's name on a shirt that 30 million people watch every week you are going to have to pay more money than to a club that has weekly audience of 5 million. Thus, sponsorships and tv rights often reflect the fanbase of the team (not always)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Real Madrid sells training ground to wipe out debt
    MADRID, Spain -- Real Madrid has sold its training ground to the local government in order to wipe out its estimated 46,000-million peseta (US$245.4 million) debt.

The value of Monday's sale was not made public but it had been reported in the Spanish media to be worth up to 75,000 million pesetas (US$400 million).

However, the operation has been condemned by politicians from opposition parties who accuse the Madrid Regional Council of utilizing public finances to rectify what they claim to be Real Madrid's financial mismanagement.

Mayor Jose Maria Alvarez del Manzano, president of the Madrid Regional Council Alberto Ruiz Gallardon and Real Madrid president Florentino Perez all signed the agreement.

Perez took charge of the club last July, undertaking to eliminate the club's heavy debt which had steadily increased during the 1990s.

"I have been working for this from the very day I became president. Today is very important for Real Madrid because we have removed a terrible burden and will soon have a new training ground which will be even better than AC Milan's Milanello training complex," Perez said Monday.

"From now on we can live without anxiety or financial difficulties. Real Madrid has not only to be a sporting leader, it must also be a financial leader too."

Under the terms of the agreement, the club is expected to vacate the 110,000 square meter (133,100 square yard) Ciudad Deportiva training ground in 2004 and relocate to a new state-of-the-art complex ten times the size.

Undeveloped land in the northeastern outskirts of the city has been provided by the Council.

The sale still requires ratification from Real Madrid's club members' committee in a vote on May 27th, though it is not expected to present an obstacle.

On the site of the old training ground, situated in the northern stretch of the city's main artery, Paseo de la Castellana, the Council plans to construct four office blocks of up to 45 stories, making them among the tallest buildings on the city skyline.

Two of these will be managed by the club itself, the Regional Council will take over another while the fourth will be shared between the two.

The Council also expects to construct a new 20,000-capacity sports pavilion which will be central to the city's bid for the Olympic Games of 2012. There will also be parking lot for 6,750 cars.

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
    Mr paid-off-ref your better hpe that any future prospective employers dont frequent this forum & read this thread.Otherwise you might have to work at popeyes or macdonalds after some of the crap you wrote in this thread.

OP
    Paid-off-Ref

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #54
    Thanks for the heads up Byrone.
    I used numbers and data to support my argument and I stand by it. Sorry if it didn't match your preconceived ideas whatever they might be. If you don't agree with what I just said, then how about supplying somekind of evidence/sources/data on your own. I'd be happy to be corrected as long as there is some hard evidence to support it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)