When Pigs Fly: The Death of Oink, the Birth of Dissent, and a Brief History of.. (2 Viewers)

Sep 26, 2007
ßöмßäяdîëя;1495469 said:
What, are you guys poor?
Not all of us kind afford the finer things in life like purchased music. I prefer to spend my money on things such as shopping and other necessities of life.

DRM = Digital Rights Management

It's also one of the problems, basically you pay for something that is protected and will play only on a certain device. If you payed for something you should be allowed to what you wish with it, not be limited by any means.
Oh okay. Makes sense. Thanks for explaining it to me.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #23
    • V

V

ßöмßäяdîëя;1495476 said:
    Plays better then the shite i DL more than half of the time....and Sarah.....just grow up.
    Well you do use Limewire.

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #27
    • V

V

Thing is with you, I'm unsure if you're joking or not. It's cool though, either way.

Sep 26, 2007
    I actually took the time to read this article because I am quite ignorant when it comes to what is out there in terms of DLing and It is a lot more interesting then my studying for the exam that I should be studying for.
    You know what probably bothers me the most about this whole situation is I really though the RIAA would back off of illegal users. I just don't see why they haven't realized that no matter what they do. People are going to continue to download music illegally. What do they think they are solving with lawsuits? It just angers me soo much. I used to go to a school where I would say I knew about 20 people who got charged with this BS of illegally downloading because we had a hub of music where we all shared our music in the dorms. I enjoyed because I got to hear music that I would have never heard of. On top of the fact that I don't think charging the users of these websites or even the owners of them is the way to go. The major labels need to understand the fact that with using alternatives like iTunes there are seriously lacking music selection. I cannot about 90 percent of the music I want to hear iTunes and sometimes if I find it. I can't purchase it because I am from the US and it is limited to Italian users or something of that nature.

What exactly are they charging the guy from Oink with and do you know where he is from? Is he located in the US or somewhere else?

Apr 12, 2004
    I actually took the time to read this article because I am quite ignorant when it comes to what is out there in terms of DLing and It is a lot more interesting than my studying for the exam that I should be studying for.
    You know what probably bothers me the most about this whole situation is I really though the RIAA would back off of illegal users. I just don't see why they haven't realized that no matter what they do. People are going to continue to download music illegally. What do they think they are solving with lawsuits? It just angers me soo much. I used to go to a school where I would say I knew about 20 people who got charged with this BS of illegally downloading because we had a hub of music where we all shared our music in the dorms. I enjoyed because I got to hear music that I would have never heard of. On top of the fact that I don't think charging the users of these websites or even the owners of them is the way to go. The major labels need to understand the fact that with using alternatives like iTunes there are seriously lacking music selection. I cannot about 90 percent of the music I want to hear iTunes and sometimes if I find it. I can't purchase it because I am from the US and it is limited to Italian users or something of that nature.

What exactly are they charging the guy from Oink with and do you know where he is from? Is he located in the US or somewhere else?
    Good use of English, I see that misused more than anything, most persons would put "me" there.....but I did have to change the then to than. :p

Sep 26, 2007
    ßöмßäяdîëя;1495534 said:
    Good use of English, I see that misused more than anything, most persons would put "me" there.....but I did have to change the then to than. :p
    Thank you. I am glad it passed the English test considering you are the one who told me I talk like I am a foreigner.

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #35
    • V

V

I actually took the time to read this article because I am quite ignorant when it comes to what is out there in terms of DLing and It is a lot more interesting then my studying for the exam that I should be studying for.

The lawsuits are just a last gasp scare tactic. It's over and they have lost, they know it and everyone knows it. They're gonna continue suing grandmothers and kids untill they run out of money and see they've accomplished nothing.

What bugs me most is the term "criminal". 10 years ago when I bought a CD I liked I borrowed it to everyone who wanted and they either copied it to a cassette tape or burned the disc. How is that any different than copying to .mp3? Was I criminal back then as well?

Times have changed and the record companies have lost track, their greed got the best of them and they're gonna loose big time. No one wants to pay 20$ for a CD anymore, the norms have changed and there's no going back. People want more music, cheaper music and they want it in the format they prefer. That's what made OiNK great, practically unlimited choices. Had some record company been smart enough and made a legal service out of OiNK's model, they would have conquered the new coming market. I would gladly pay for a service such as OiNK. But no, they wanted more and wouldn't give in. Now they can continue to watch CD sales drop and piracy get bigger, eventually they'll have to give in.

The guy who owned OiNK was from England, he's being charged for a lot of things, most of them aren't true. Read more here and here. These are shorter. :D

Sep 26, 2007
    The lawsuits are just a last gasp scare tactic. It's over and they have lost, they know it and everyone knows it. They're gonna continue suing grandmothers and kids untill they run out of money and see they've accomplished nothing.

What bugs me most is the term "criminal". 10 years ago when I bought a CD I liked I borrowed it to everyone who wanted and they either copied it to a cassette tape or burned the disc. How is that any different than copying to .mp3? Was I criminal back then as well?

Times have changed and the record companies have lost track, their greed got the best of them and they're gonna loose big time. No one wants to pay 20$ for a CD anymore, the norms have changed and there's no going back. People want more music, cheaper music and they want it in the format they prefer. That's what made OiNK great, practically unlimited choices. Had some record company been smart enough and made a legal service out of OiNK's model, they would have conquered the new coming market. I would gladly pay for a service such as OiNK. But no, they wanted more and wouldn't give in. Now they can continue to watch CD sales drop and piracy get bigger, eventually they'll have to give in.

The guy who owned OiNK was from England, he's being charged for a lot of things, most of them aren't true. Read more here and here. These are shorter. :D
    Yeah, it obvious that this is the end of the record industry. Major labels are going to have to change their way of business to find another way to get money from consumers.

I agree. The term criminal really should not apply to people who "steal" music. When the whole concept of burning your own cds and downloading music back in the late 90s (at least thats when I got involved) I used to tell my brother that this is unheard of and I will never be caught dead burning a mix cd of all the music I had. I just couldn't grasp the concept of stealing music from my favorite artist. When you think about it, artists are making 10 cents off a cd and their income has nothing to do with their album sales. I never put this whole concept into perspective. I always used to borrow my friends cd and they would borrow mine so we can make copies of the music. What is the difference? There isn't but technically back then we were still "criminals". Its dumb and illogical. We can be criminals together :rolleyes:

When iTunes came out, I used to be all about supporting it but when I realized the music I wanted to listen to was not provided or was on iTunes and not accessible I was so turned away from the idea that I quit it. Plus when I would try to transfer my iTunes music to my cell phone that would be unheard of because my cell phone can't read the files. Its stupid. I now have found other ways to get the music I want and enjoy with better selections and other things that have helped me learn about music from other countries that I don't have access to in stores or on iTunes. We live in a digital age; we are demanding more and more of the industry if they cannot give us what we want we will find it somewhere else. That is what our society is and major labels need to recognize that or face the collapse of their businesses. I even remember reading about a famous artist I don't remember his name who was a user of Oink and talked about the fact that the people just loved music and had no intention of robbing the music industry. Once again, its all just dumb.

Wow all I have to say about the whole Oink arrest situation, police are such drama queens sometimes. They had to "raid" his house. Its just music for God's sake.

I appreciate the shorter articles :p

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #38
    • V

V

Yeah, it obvious that this is the end of the record industry. Major labels are going to have to change their way of business to find another way to get money from consumers.

I agree. The term criminal really should not apply to people who "steal" music. When the whole concept of burning your own cds and downloading music back in the late 90s (at least thats when I got involved) I used to tell my brother that this is unheard of and I will never be caught dead burning a mix cd of all the music I had. I just couldn't grasp the concept of stealing music from my favorite artist. When you think about it, artists are making 10 cents off a cd and their income has nothing to do with their album sales. I never put this whole concept into perspective. I always used to borrow my friends cd and they would borrow mine so we can make copies of the music. What is the difference? There isn't but technically back then we were still "criminals". Its dumb and illogical. We can be criminals together :rolleyes:

When iTunes came out, I used to be all about supporting it but when I realized the music I wanted to listen to was not provided or was on iTunes and not accessible I was so turned away from the idea that I quit it. Plus when I would try to transfer my iTunes music to my cell phone that would be unheard of because my cell phone can't read the files. Its stupid. I now have found other ways to get the music I want and enjoy with better selections and other things that have helped me learn about music from other countries that I don't have access to in stores or on iTunes. We live in a digital age; we are demanding more and more of the industry if they cannot give us what we want we will find it somewhere else. That is what our society is and major labels need to recognize that or face the collapse of their businesses. I even remember reading about a famous artist I don't remember his name who was a user of Oink and talked about the fact that the people just loved music and had no intention of robbing the music industry. Once again, its all just dumb.

Wow all I have to say about the whole Oink arrest situation, police are such drama queens sometimes. They had to "raid" his house. Its just music for God's sake.

I appreciate the shorter articles :p
    That guy's name is Trent Reznor, leader of Nine Inch Nails. You can read about that here.

What do you think about OiNK being shut down?
    Trent: I'll admit I had an account there and frequented it quite often. At the end of the day, what made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store. Pretty much anything you could ever imagine, it was there, and it was there in the format you wanted. If OiNK cost anything, I would certainly have paid, but there isn't the equivalent of that in the retail space right now. iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc. Amazon has potential, but none of them get around the issue of pre-release leaks. And that's what's such a difficult puzzle at the moment. If your favorite band in the world has a leaked record out, do you listen to it or do you not listen to it? People on those boards, they're grateful for the person that uploaded it — they're the hero. They're not stealing it because they're going to make money off of it; they're stealing it because they love the band. I'm not saying that I think OiNK is morally correct, but I do know that it existed because it filled a void of what people want.
    Believe me, I have no idea why I am able to find all these articles. :D

Times changed, that's the bottom line. Everyone feels the same way as you do, people who are using iTunes are not satisfied, they're just afraid to use something else. But that will change.

I really feel sorry for the guy, he's being attacked through the media as if he was running a drug cartel. It's sad really.

Sep 26, 2007
    That guy's name is Trent Reznor, leader of Nine Inch Nails. You can read about that here.

Believe me, I have no idea why I am able to find all these articles. :D

Times changed, that's the bottom line. Everyone feels the same way as you do, people who are using iTunes are not satisfied, they're just afraid to use something else. But that will change.

I really feel sorry for the guy, he's being attacked through the media as if he was running a drug cartel. It's sad really.
    I know why you find all these great articles....you don't have anything like Oink to spend your time on ;)

Yeah well for me to say I agree with someone from NIN is like hell froze over :D I will set aside my reputation and agree with him though.

I guess we shouldn't be all that surprised by the way they are treating him. Hopefully in the end it all blows ever because I can't understand jail time or him being fined all the money he owes the record labels. Now I guess I will follow the case because I am curious about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)