whatever happened to (3 Viewers)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Oh I was under the impression that was an American expression. Isn't it? I try but always fail at the American thing you know :D
I don't know, not being American and all. I've never heard (or read) it before though.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by jaecole ] ++
You irish fellas have a funny way of spelling boy right?

Bhoys? Boyz? or somein? :D
Depends on where you're from. The accent here varies enormously. I have a middle-class Dublin accent. I've been mistaken for Canadian and English, among others. :)

I guess the most prominent varient would be Cork (think Roy Keane), where they'd rhyme "boy" with "die". I'd spell it "bye", but they're all illiterate.

jaecole

Apr 7, 2005
Oh I wasn't even talking about accents. And you mean that one out of snatch? I though that wasn't a real accent, I've certainly never heard it :D

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
Mikhail have you seen the movie (or read) Angela's Ashes?
Neither. My dad's read the book. He would identify with that era a lot more than me. It's based in Limerick, a little north of Cork.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Oh I wasn't even talking about accents. And you mean that one out of snatch? I though that wasn't a real accent, I've certainly never heard it :D
Brad Pitt's accent? It wasn't bad. Some sort of generic culchie (think Irish redneck) accent, spoken quickly. Different from the Cork one, but recognisably from the same country.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
Yes it is. Its one of my favs :) Its just that when you said they pronounced "boy" as "bye"; it reminded me of the book
I believe there was a sequal, 'Tis. That's probably another fairly Irish expression. (= "It is")

jaecole

Apr 7, 2005
awk sure it tis :D

Thats a good one. Or I love an Irish person saying 'the whole thing is pathetic'. Its like

'teh whole tings patetic'

Though im not making fun, I love the Irish and Ireland, just search my posts about Irish girls or cities for evidence :D

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
awk sure it tis :D
I'm not sure where that k is coming from! :)

Thats a good one. Or I love an Irish person saying 'the whole thing is pathetic'. Its like

'teh whole tings patetic'
Yeah, some of the odder accents have real issues with "th" sounds. I think it's because there aren't any in Irish. You go back about five or six generations and lots of people spoke Irish as their first language. A generation or two again and more people didn't speak English than did.

Though im not making fun, I love the Irish and Ireland, just search my posts about Irish girls or cities for evidence :D
Don't worry, I'm not going to be offended by any of this. It's innane leprecaun references that are stupid and irritating, not fair observations on the more bizarre twists we've put on words over the years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)