What Italy Should Work On Before Euro 2004 (1 Viewer)

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
It seems that our current set up is working quite nicely. I am referring to the 4-2-3-1.

I think one of the biggest things we have to address is a an alternative to Zambrotta. Despite the names like DP, Totti, Vieri stealing the lime light, I actually think he is one of the biggest influences on our progress. I am worried if he gets injured. He adds sooo much to providing the width we need when attacking and he has so much stamina that he does a reasonable job defending as well.

He provides the balance we need for the 4-2-3-1 to really work. Oddo adds a similar dimension on the right hand side.

We really don't have a replacement of similar quality for Zambrotta. That is, an attacking left back with bags of energy, pace and technique. Coco was that kind of player but his form really dipped before he got injured.

Does anyone have any ideas on who? If we cannot find a direct replacement then maybe we should look at an attacking winger to re-invent himself in a similar position.

Well what our direct replacements? Birindelli, Pancaro, Pessotto (who cannot get a game now), Favalli...bo?!

I think we should continue to experiment with other defensive midfield pairings....i.e Gattusso, Tacchinardi, Albertini?, Maresca?

Our forwards...is not really a problem, we have bags of alternatives here.

In central defence, I am happy with Legro as a good replacement for Nesta and / or Canna - but he is a little inexperienced. Ferrari, Iuliano and Materazzi don't make me sleep well at night.

So in summation: Italy needs to look at alternatives for right and left back; and defensive midfield. Assuming we cannot find an adequate attacking left back, we may need to look for a pure attacking left winger....and I am afraid to say that we don't really have one. Our 4-2-3-1 with Zambo at left back works well..but I fear what happens if he gets injured.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
we really can work on nothing imho because all our problems can only be solved in the long term.

everything you mentioned i have to agree with, but none of them can really be fixed before euro 2004.

problems like trap, alternatives for totti, etc are kinda long run things that have to be gradually brought about.

one good thing that can be seen is we've stopped making defensive midfielder youth like before and we have more central/attacking mids.

something we really lack in is tactics. and the availability of young good players in all kinds of positions.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
We need to find an alternative to Zambrotta, and that's about it. The only other thing Trap has to think about is how he'll fit Totti, Del Piero, Vieri and Inzaghi into the same line-up, or if he even wants to do that.

Oddo should definitely start ahead of Panucci, and although I rate Tacchinardi, Gattuso, Maresca, Albertini and even Pirlo + De Rossi very highly, Cristiano Zanetti and Simone Perrotta are doing a superb job in central midfield at the moment.

Nesta's ideal replacement is Ferrari and Cannavaro's is Legrottaglie, but let's hope that no-one gets injured before the tournament, except perhaps Panucci.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
there is no way to fit all 4 vieri, Del P, Totti and inzaghi in one team... if there is, someone may have thougt about it way in WC 98...

at best we could only field 3 (eventhough in the past Italian managers satisfied to field only 2 :fero:)

i have to say that of the four, Vieri and Totti have stronger claims to their places..... and with Inzaghi scoring likes shitt, it would only means Del P is edged out :down:

all in all it will depends on the tactics as Inzaghi cannot fit in the proven succecsful 4231... so DP will plays there while he will sit out if the teams play 4312

and please no 442 with DP as left winger again... :fero:

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
there is no way to fit all 4 vieri, Del P, Totti and inzaghi in one team... if there is, someone may have thougt about it way in WC 98...

at best we could only field 3 (eventhough in the past Italian managers satisfied to field only 2 :fero:)

i have to say that of the four, Vieri and Totti have stronger claims to their places..... and with Inzaghi scoring likes shitt, it would only means Del P is edged out :down:

all in all it will depends on the tactics as Inzaghi cannot fit in the proven succecsful 4231... so DP will plays there while he will sit out if the teams play 4312

and please no 442 with DP as left winger again... :fero:
there is one way but idon't think Trap will play it coz it is 2 offensive:

--------------------------Vieri-----------Pippo----------------------------
-------------------------------Totti-----------------------------------
--DP-------------------Zanetti------------------Camo---------------------
Oh well...dreams...and i'm not sure Dp will like it.:confused:

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Roman ] ++

there is one way but idon't think Trap will play it coz it is 2 offensive:

--------------------------Vieri-----------Pippo----------------------------
-------------------------------Totti-----------------------------------
--DP-------------------Zanetti------------------Camo---------------------
Oh well...dreams...and i'm not sure Dp will like it.:confused:

with two out and out striker up front, there will be enourmos defensive pressure for DP there....

u are basically giving DP Davids job...

the best i could think of is

....................Vieri................Pippo

.......................DEL P..........totti

....zambrotta..........ZAnetti...........GAttuso

............legro...........nesta.........canna

............................buffon.

but still for several obvious reasons that wont eva happen in Trap era..

the phoenix

Aug 8, 2002
There really isn't anything that has to be worked on except for hoping that Trap doesn't screw up his tactics and players selection as he has done so before. The 4-2-3-1 serves us well and we should just stick to it. Regardign players Trap should definately pick Oddo in front of Pannucci. Oddo is a right-sided version of Zambrotta and having two full back that are able to bring the ball up the field would definately cause havoc for the opposition. In addition it would be a nightmare to defend against DP, Totti and Camo as all can hold the ball well and be dangerous. Just exactly who do you focus on?

I would prefer Inzaghi to Vieri only because he plays with so much heart and determination, but I'm equally happy to see Vieri start.

To sum it up this is the formation:

........................................Buffon...........................................

Oddo....................Nesta.............Cannavaro...........Zambrotta....

...........................C. Zanetti..............Perrotta..............................

Camoranesi.......................Totti.........................Del Piero..........

.......................................Inzaghi..............................................

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I am beginning to think now that Trapatoni is not as enthusiastic as he was before , say in wc2002 about the Inzaghi-Vieri partnership and lets face it they ahve been playing because Dp or Totti have been missing

I think if they are all fit Trap would probably be prone to play Dp and Totti with either Inzaghi or Vieri dropping out

I was very worried when Pancaro joined Milan cos that only meant one thing , he would be back to the international fold

The one person that i see a lot of potential in but seems to be misused is pasquale of Inter, he could if given a good chance be back up at left back

Barring an injury, and we all know how Panucci injures himself at thses moments, Panucci is unfortunately first choice right back even if we all know he should be nowhere near the squad

I feel Miccolli and Divaio need big seasons otherwise they would miss the boat, same for Corradi

The othing that really concerns me for Italy is that the further they get, the more defensive and fearful the manager gets and that is always been , even more than any opponent, defeats Italy

So dont be too suprised to see Traps starting with Totti and Vieri when the competition starts proper

Kiko

Jun 2, 2003
I would ssoooo much rather see Fiore in rather than Camo

Btw is Zauri a right-back? what side does he play? I also like Daniele Adani but he is also center or right isint he? In the end we do need a replacement left-back more than anything

Maybe Coco will get traded during the trade window and become good again :cheesy: :nervous:

But ya also I think we should experement our DM during our next 2 friendlies. I want to see Gattusso in there!!!!!!:fero:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I may be wrong but I believe that Trap wants to make the fans happy and wants to prove to them that Italy can play attacking football. My bet is that we'll definitely see Totti and Del Piero starting for gli Azzurri in Portugal, and as Denco said, either Vieri or Inzaghi will have to warm the bench.

The two ways in which we can try to make Totts, ADP, Bobo and Pippo coexist is to play a 4-2-2-2 or a 3-3-2-2 and Trap won't be having this as even I agree that these formations are very unbalanced and too offensive.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by the phoenix ] ++
There really isn't anything that has to be worked on except for hoping that Trap doesn't screw up his tactics and players selection as he has done so before. The 4-2-3-1 serves us well and we should just stick to it. Regardign players Trap should definately pick Oddo in front of Pannucci. Oddo is a right-sided version of Zambrotta and having two full back that are able to bring the ball up the field would definately cause havoc for the opposition. In addition it would be a nightmare to defend against DP, Totti and Camo as all can hold the ball well and be dangerous. Just exactly who do you focus on?

I would prefer Inzaghi to Vieri only because he plays with so much heart and determination, but I'm equally happy to see Vieri start.

To sum it up this is the formation:

........................................Buffon...........................................

Oddo....................Nesta.............Cannavaro...........Zambrotta....

...........................C. Zanetti..............Perrotta..............................

Camoranesi.......................Totti.........................Del Piero..........

.......................................Inzaghi..............................................
:eek::eek::eek:

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
the hard truth is.. if he has to choose of the 4....

DP will drop out...:down:
I used to think that before but not anymore cos deep down in his heart Trapatoni is not an attacking manager and he knows that any team which includes both Inzaghi and Vieri is too attacking and invariably does not work

He likes Dp because he can manage on the left and he can hold on to the ball and go back and retrieve the ball, Totti he would never drop

He has his heart now set on 4-5-1 formation and that does not allow for 2 out and out strikers
Lets face it, it worked against Wales mainly because Dp played so well and the crosses from Oddo were excellent, it worked against Azerbaijan because it was in truth against Azerbaijan and Totti would not enjoy being camped on the left all the time
It didnt work against Yugoslavia , did it? And each time, either Vieri or Inzaghi was subbed while Totti and Dp played the whole 90minutes meaning Trapatoni was not entirely happy with having 2 strikers on hence he brought on Di Vaio cos in Traps mind he is more like Dp than the other 2 strikers or he would have brought on Corraddi

Actually one part of the team which is not totally working is the right hand side, Camo can be very frustrating to be perfectly honest, Fiore is not a winger, Id rather see Di Natalie there (even if he is not a winger , he is quick and more skilful than either player imo) and Panucci is just rubbish

I personally would mind having this first team

-------------------------Buffon-------------------------------

Oddo------------Nesta-----------Cannavaro---------------Zambrotta

Di Natale--------------Perrotta--------------Fiore--------------

--------------------------------Totti---------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------Dp

---------------------------------Vieri/Inzaghi

I know the Perotta -Zanetti partnership has flourished but lets be honest , Zanetti can be hopeless at times especially in his distribution and I have always thought Fiore has a very good engine and he definitely can pass the ball but if it does not work then you already have a tried and tested partnership

Camo should work a lot harder to get into the team and there is always the joker on Miccolli

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Both formations aren't bad. I'd love to see Miccoli replace TOTTI and Di Vaio up front :thumb:

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
I used to think that before but not anymore cos deep down in his heart Trapatoni is not an attacking manager and he knows that any team which includes both Inzaghi and Vieri is too attacking and invariably does not work

He likes Dp because he can manage on the left and he can hold on to the ball and go back and retrieve the ball, Totti he would never drop

He has his heart now set on 4-5-1 formation and that does not allow for 2 out and out strikers
Lets face it, it worked against Wales mainly because Dp played so well and the crosses from Oddo were excellent, it worked against Azerbaijan because it was in truth against Azerbaijan and Totti would not enjoy being camped on the left all the time
It didnt work against Yugoslavia , did it? And each time, either Vieri or Inzaghi was subbed while Totti and Dp played the whole 90minutes meaning Trapatoni was not entirely happy with having 2 strikers on hence he brought on Di Vaio cos in Traps mind he is more like Dp than the other 2 strikers or he would have brought on Corraddi

Actually one part of the team which is not totally working is the right hand side, Camo can be very frustrating to be perfectly honest, Fiore is not a winger, Id rather see Di Natalie there (even if he is not a winger , he is quick and more skilful than either player imo) and Panucci is just rubbish

I personally would mind having this first team

-------------------------Buffon-------------------------------

Oddo------------Nesta-----------Cannavaro---------------Zambrotta

Di Natale--------------Perrotta--------------Fiore--------------

--------------------------------Totti---------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------Dp

---------------------------------Vieri/Inzaghi

I know the Perotta -Zanetti partnership has flourished but lets be honest , Zanetti can be hopeless at times especially in his distribution and I have always thought Fiore has a very good engine and he definitely can pass the ball but if it does not work then you already have a tried and tested partnership

Camo should work a lot harder to get into the team and there is always the joker on Miccolli
that is a very brave but respectable opinion...

but it wont be fair to inzaghi and zanetti as they did nothing wrong to the team in the last couple of games...

up untill now the fact is vieri and totti would only be out if injured or suspended as we never see them on the bench.. while DP always have to fight his way through... so considering that fact and inzaghi current form in the NT and DP's long lay off......my candidate for the bench of the 4 is..... :down:

survivor

Dec 29, 2002
I think Trap will play either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-1-2 as both work alright.
It's hard to say right now who's going to sit on the bench. Let's see each player's form towards the end of the season and we'll know by then whoooooooo????

Stu

Jul 14, 2002

that is a very brave but respectable opinion...

but it wont be fair to inzaghi and zanetti as they did nothing wrong to the team in the last couple of games...

up untill now the fact is vieri and totti would only be out if injured or suspended as we never see them on the bench.. while DP always have to fight his way through... so considering that fact and inzaghi current form in the NT and DP's long lay off......my candidate for the bench of the 4 is..... :down:
Inzaghi's form doesn't mean anything as Trap is only playing him because DP is not available. As denco said, Trapattoni is not an attacking manager, and DP offers more balance to the side because he can play on the left, so if it comes down to Pippo or Alex I can only see Trap choosing the latter.

Here's something I'd like to see Italy try:

------------------------------Buffon--------------------------------
----------------Cannavaro----Nesta-----Maldini---------------------
---Oddo------------------------------------------------Zambrotta---
--------------------Zanetti------------Perrotta---------------------
------------------------------Totti-----------------------------------
----------------------------------------------Del Piero----------------
-------------------------------Vieri------------------------------------

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
Trap wants Maldini back

-------------------------------------

Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni is still hoping to tempt Paolo Maldini out of international retirement.

The Milan legend, winner of 126 caps, quit the Azzurri scene after the 2002 World Cup but Trap wants him to be part of his Euro 2004 plans.

"I’ve never abandoned the hope of having Maldini at my disposal again," said the tactician on Tuesday.

"A few months ago we told each other that we would talk more in the future. I would say there is a 50-50 chance of seeing him in the national colours again."

The 35-year-old continues to be a rock for the Rossoneri defence and Trap believes he should be rewarded for his performances.

"I would give him the Golden Ball," he added. "He has won a lot in his career and deserves recognition for what he has achieved."

Italy booked their place at the European Championships over the weekend with a 4-0 win over Azerbaijan.

Bookmakers have them as second favourites but the Azzurri could be drawn in a group of death as they are unlikely to be one of the top four seeds with UEFA.

"We would have to meet a top team sooner or later anyway," said Trap. "We just need to believe in our own quality.

"A team to avoid? I would say Portugal even if we must just concentrate on our strengths."

What do you think guys ?? for me it would be just great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)