What do you get when you mix the NBA with the NHL? (1 Viewer)

Loppan

Jul 13, 2002
Suspensions

Ron Artest - 70 games (Rest of the season without a salary)
Stephen Jackson - 30 games
Jermaine O'Neal - 25 games

Ben Wallace - 6 games
Anthony Johnson - 5 games

Reggie Miller, Chauncey Billups, Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman - 1 game

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
What an absolute joke these suspensions are.

Artest gets suspended the whole season, while Wallace, who blatantly over-reacted to a foul, and because of his shoving incident and throwing a towel in Artest's face indirectly started this whole mess, gets suspended for only 6 games?

Bullshit.

And I applaud the Pacers players for what they did. Just because fans pay top dollar for a ticket, does not give them the right to throw objects at players, or to try to make themselves part of the game.

Throw out the whole "well, he's a professional player, he should be able to handle it" reasoning.

Look at it another way.

He's a human being, and if any one of us was just sitting there minding our own business and some jackass comes along and throws beer on us, how many of us would REALLY just turn the other cheek?

None of us would.

Is Artest a good guy? who knows? None of us really know him, but from the leaguewide support that he's been receiving from other players, and even players from other sports franchises such as the Indianapolis Colts, then he musn't be this spawn of Satan that everyone has him made out to be.

Is Artest really the one at fault? You tell me. Who's to blame, Ron Artest for acting the way that he did, when everyone knows full well that this type of reaction is EXACTLY what you would get if you did something like this to him, or the fan who threw the beer at him, knowing that doing so would cause that type of reaction.

People talk about how the players are animals. No, the fans are much, much worse, and finally someone decided to do something about it.

Lets look a this another way.

Lets say Del Piero is playing at the Stadio Olimpico, and some fan comes over and throws beer at him. As a fan of Juventus, how many of us here would want to grab that guy and wring his neck for what he did? Probably all of us. Now, how many of us would TRULY be upset if Alessandro decided he had enough and took matters into his own hands?

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
First of all, it was Ben Wallace's fault that overreacted to the foul on him. If he wouldn't do that, all this would've not happened.

Anyways, as Sergio said, what Ron Artest did was pretty reasonable. None would stand a fan throwing a beer in its face.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #33
    There really was no reason for that type of foul tho, nothing Artest could have gained from it in a 15 point game.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++
    What an absolute joke these suspensions are.

Artest gets suspended the whole season, while Wallace, who blatantly over-reacted to a foul, and because of his shoving incident and throwing a towel in Artest's face indirectly started this whole mess, gets suspended for only 6 games?
    Throwing a towel and shoving a player on the court is just as bad as going into the stands and throwing punches at fans. Right. :rolleyes:

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Loppan ] ++
    Suspensions

Ron Artest - 70 games (Rest of the season without a sala ry)
    Stephen Jackson - 30 games
    Jermaine O'Neal - 25 games

Ben Wallace - 6 games
    Anthony Johnson - 5 games

Reggie Miller, Chauncey Billups, Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman - 1 game
    I heard that he's earning 8million $ per year

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    But I'm with Sergio on this one. I don't buy that the NBA would hand out a similar sentence if it was one of their top jersey-selling players. :greedy:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
    But I'm with Sergio on this one. I don't buy that the NBA would hand out a similar sentence if it was one of their top jersey-selling players. :greedy:
    Holy shit, we agree on something:)

My wife has to help me off the floor. Excuse me one moment..........................................................

OK. I'm Good.

Would Lebron get suspended for the season if he did this? Would Garnett?

Shaq?

Even Rodman, back in the day?

Nope. They wouldn't. Why? Because, for better or for worse, these guys put fannies in the seats and sell jerseys off the racks.

I'm not saying that Artest is a great human being, but he is a human being, and if someone I didn't know decided that he was just going to throw beer in my face for no reason, then there's going to be trouble.

Artest only acted out what a whole bunch of athletes all over the world in every sport has wanted to do for the last 20 years.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    There really was no reason for that type of foul tho, nothing Artest could have gained from it in a 15 point game.
    For christ sakes, it wasn't that bad of a foul. It's not like he threw him 5 rows into the stands. Wallace was underneath the basket, and instead of letting him get an easy two points, let a 30% free throw shooter earn it, no matter how much time is left on the clock.

And although Artest may not have gained from it personally, it sent a message to Detroit that last year might have been a fluke, and that the truly most talented team in the Eastern conference will be representing the east this year.

Or am I the only won that noticed that Indiana has won 2 of its last 3 games without Artest, O'Neal, Jackson, Reggie Miller, Jeff Foster, and Jonathan Bender.

Or that Detroit has lost 2 of its last 3 since the incident, losing to Charlotte in the process.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Throwing a towel and shoving a player on the court is just as bad as going into the stands and throwing punches at fans. Right. :rolleyes:

Well, maybe if he did it to Kobe Bryant, Lebron James or Tim Duncan, or anyone else who is NOT on the Detroit Pistons, then maybe you wouldn't be reacting the way you are.

Oh and Zlatan, I TOLD you last year that Lebron was better than Carmelo, now didn't I? :D:D:D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++

Well, maybe if he did it to Kobe Bryant, Lebron James or Tim Duncan, or anyone else who is NOT on the Detroit Pistons, then maybe you wouldn't be reacting the way you are.
    Yeah, because I wouldn't give a rat's ass about it, but since it happend in my home town of course I'm going to have a say on the subject. But either way you look at it, players cross the line when they fight their fights in the stands.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)