What are your top 10 best footballers? (3 Viewers)

Stephañho!

Aug 1, 2002
BayernFussball... so I will explain it in more simplistic terms for you my '85 friend! Your father was barely born when Pele lifted his first WC, what does that say about you? I don't care less how much you read or the amount footage you may have gotten to see throughout the years (chances remain that you've just been told Di Stefano was such a damn fine player by the right-thinking media or you juust read that in a book), you haven't for a fact EXPERIENCED the reign of most the legends you mentioned. How much credibility do you reckon your opinion holds when talking about players who made a name for themselves in the 50-60-70's? Do you not think it would be more interesting for us to read whom you've gotten to regard as the best player of the players you've actually seen play and progress?

Sep 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Stephañho! ] ++
BayernFussball... so I will explain it in more simplistic terms for you my '85 friend! Your father was barely born when Pele lifted his first WC, what does that say about you? I don't care less how much you read or the amount footage you may have gotten to see throughout the years (chances remain that you've just been told Di Stefano was such a damn fine player by the right-thinking media or you juust read that in a book), you haven't for a fact EXPERIENCED the reign of most the legends you mentioned. How much credibility do you reckon your opinion holds when talking about players who made a name for themselves in the 50-60-70's? Do you not think it would be more interesting for us to read whom you've gotten to regard as the best player of the players you've actually seen play and progress?
i dont think that's more simple steph

OP
ßöмßäяðîëя
Apr 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #44
    ahhh, but even tho i have seen the likes of zizou, ronaldinho (personnaly seen) as well as the whole barca, ac milan, liverpool, and ajax, they are not as good as the players i mentioned, no one within their right mind will say so. so yea i havent seen them in living color, but they are still better.

- it doesnt make Ronaldo better, it just states that henry has to do less for his country to win, Emerson is not as good as Viera or Pires, not to mention Zidane, and remember I HATE the EPL.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    My top 10 (since I'm a little older)

1) Baggio
    2) Maradona
    3) Platini
    4) Van Basten
    5) Stoichkov
    6) Milla
    7) Mattheus
    8) Maldini
    9) Zoff
    10) Romario

Stephañho!

Aug 1, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by BayernFussball ] ++
    hahahhahahahahha, OK! you are hilarious, you are the man.

so if i havent seen them, they arent good?
    With seldom exceptions, we're all rather young people, most of us barely in our twenties. If I wanna discuss various aspects of the modern game, there are forums like this one. If I wanna know more about Pelé, I can open the available almanacs myself, I don't need middle-men thank you! The pain of loosing one's time reading posts from people who sound like they're comtemporaneous with Pelé and co, only to discover that truthfully, these people don't know jack sh*t more about them than I already did just reading the official standpoint and watching the scarce footage that was saved from that time.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ohh, but Serg, my man, have you SEEN those players play, if not, then they aren't correct, right Steph, hahahahaha.
    Yes, Mike.

I've seen them play.:) I used to frequent Portugese, and Italian social clubs quite abit on saturday afternoons and sunday mornings, so I had ample opportunity to watch these guys play.

I understand Steph's point, though.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    Peruzzi

Zanetti
    Maldini
    Baresi
    Torricelli

Paolo Sousa
    Zidane
    Giggs
    Figo?

Del Piero
    Shearer

a bit crap compared to some of the "legends" teams but a damn good team based on players i have seen enough of to judge I feel :)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    well, ok, but just because i havent seen them play, that doesnt make them horrid does it?
    No, it doesn't.

However, its like comparing Joe Montana to Tom Brady. Only a select few of us here have seen Montana play during the mid-to-late 80's, while we've all seen what Tom Brady has done in the past 3 years.

Or comparing Mickey Mantle to Barry Bonds.

They all had great numbers and did great things, but it is hard for me to sit here and tell you that Mantle was better than Bonds, because I've never seen the Mick play before.

See where I'm coming from?

Sometimes you can't go by pure numbers and statistics alone. If that's the case, Mike, then Van Basten wouldn't warrant a place on the list, because his goals scored throughout his career don't compare to a Baggio. But Van Basten was every bit the equal quality of a Baggio in terms of skill.

OP
    ßöмßäяðîëя
    Apr 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #56
    true, but none of the football players took performance enhancing drugs, except Georgie Best (Alcohol haha)

I would say Figo is worthy, and defenitely Shearer, he is very worthy of a top ten.

Ramin

vBookie Champion
    Nov 18, 2003
    Andy, Desmond and others, I couldn't help checking your birth dates! It's not a personal attack but how ridiculous is it from guys in their teenagehood or just slightly older to list players such as Yashin, Best, Di Stefano, Beckenbauer, Puskas, etc. For the umpteenth time, they sure went down in History as footballing legends, but what exactly os the point of such an unpersonal output? There is the official ressources, available to all if we so desire, and then there should be YOUR point of view, which is what is interesting to read!
    Exaclty :thumb:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Andy, Desmond and others, I couldn't help checking your birth dates! It's not a personal attack but how ridiculous is it from guys in their teenagehood or just slightly older to list players such as Yashin, Best, Di Stefano, Beckenbauer, Puskas, etc. For the umpteenth time, they sure went down in History as footballing legends, but what exactly os the point of such an unpersonal output? There is the official ressources, available to all if we so desire, and then there should be YOUR point of view, which is what is interesting to read!

01) Maradonna
    02) Platini
    03) Roby Baggio
    04) Stoitchkov
    05) Van Basten
    06) Ronaldo
    07) Zidane
    08) Del Piero
    09) Batistuta
    10) Romario
    That frankly doesn't matter. I have watched great clips of all the top footballers I listed, and read their lengthy accomplishments. If you have the tools to make a honest decision yourself, than go ahead. And like Burke said, it's your own opinion, that's the whole topic of the damn thread. So the players that I listed were from my own point of view. But if you still do not agree, here ya go:

1. Zinedine Zidane
    2. Roby Baggio
    3. Paolo Maldini
    4. Lothar Mattheaus
    5. Rivaldo
    6. Ronaldo
    7. Didier Deshamps
    8. Eric Cantona
    9. Steffan Effenberg
    10. Gabriel Batistuta

Will be on this list soon hopefully: Pavel Nedved

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Not in order:

1) Maldini
    2) Zoff
    3) Platini
    4) Baggio
    5) Zidane
    6) Del Piero
    7) Platini
    8) Nedved
    9) Romario
    10) Nesta or Cannavaro

Could be on my List soon

Puyol , Zambrotta , Buffon , Ronaldinhio ,

Sid

Nov 10, 2003
    my list....

Zinedine Zidane
    Bebeto
    Gordon Banks
    Roberto Baggio
    Paolo Rossi
    Dino Zoff
    Pierre Vierchowood
    Paolo Maldini
    Marco Van Basten
    Michele Platini

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)