GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Yeah. Insane cost of living. Average 1 BR apartment is like $2600 a month now. And a detached home is average around $2 mil. Not to mention gas, groceries, etc… all of it more expensive than the rest of the country.

- - - Updated - - -

You couldn’t pay me enough to live way up North. Insane cold in the winter. Insane mosquitos and other bugs in the summer.
Money laundering baby

Buy on AliExpress.com

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
@swag
If i come to Portugal as tourist Can i meet companies and get job?
As i know Citizens of countries outside the EU/EEA must apply for a residence permit to work in EU Countries, but what's about work for less than 3 months, do need the residence permit?
I don't know about the level of skill and requirements to meet job in tech. what's the situation out there for language skills? Is English sufficient to get job?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. Insane cost of living. Average 1 BR apartment is like $2600 a month now. And a detached home is average around $2 mil. Not to mention gas, groceries, etc… all of it more expensive than the rest of the country.

- - - Updated - - -

You couldn’t pay me enough to live way up North. Insane cold in the winter. Insane mosquitos and other bugs in the summer.
it Sounds a bit pricy there, but depending on salary, job benefits (Schemes, overtime and assignments, etc.) relative to the cost of living.

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Vancouver would be my choice. I would say, pack only your pants, you aren't going to need shorts.
Why do you say this? Summers are hotter and drier than ever out here. I think Vancouver had less than 10mm of rain from July to late October last year. And Victoria here on the island had 2mm in like 4 months. We get a lot more days of 30° C and higher weather in the last decade too.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
@swag
As i know Citizens of countries outside the EU/EEA must apply for a residence permit to work in EU Countries, but what's about work for less than 3 months, do need the residence permit?
I don't know about the level of skill and requirements to meet job in tech. what's the situation out there for language skills? Is English sufficient to get job?

- - - Updated - - -

it Sounds a bit pricy there, but depending on salary, job benefits (Schemes, overtime and assignments, etc.) relative to the cost of living.

As far as I know you need a work permit in the EU even if it's for 3 months or less. As far as I know after 3 months you're obliged to return to your home country for and be there for at least 3-4 months before you can return.

However, I highly doubt any serious company would hire somebody for 2-3 months just to lose him. You need like 2-3 months only for trainings quite often, so I doubt anyone would bother for a short term position, unless we're talking about seasonal jobs or something.

OP
ßöмßäяðîëя
Apr 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #371,507
    you want foreigners to take your jobs and flirt with your blundes.
    One, I don't care, two, I'm American, not Canadian or Canadien. Three, flirt all day long, rape a bunch of them, I couldn't care less, man, you have to answer to the penal system, being Brown in a White country, and your God.

Burkey don't give nothing....
    Careful Bruke will put AIDs in your butt
    ......except this, I do give Super AIDS. One tablespoon of Super AIDS in your butt, you're gone in a couple weeks.

I guess that's about 10 mg? Something like that.
    @swag
    Realistically, I would talk to local companies and be a contractor, initially. Do work for free, if they are excited about you, they could pay you "under-the-table" while you're seeking permanent residency, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you say this? Summers are hotter and drier than ever out here. I think Vancouver had less than 10mm of rain from July to late October last year. And Victoria here on the island had 2mm in like 4 months. We get a lot more days of 30° C and higher weather in the last decade too.
    God damn, that is so uncharacteristic. What's the humidity, though? East Coast we get 30, 35 C days sometimes, but it blows when it's 78% humidity.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    One, I don't care, two, I'm American, not Canadian or Canadien. Three, flirt all day long, rape a bunch of them, I couldn't care less, man, you have to answer to the penal system, being Brown in a White country, and your God.

Burkey don't give nothing....

......except this, I do give Super AIDS. One tablespoon of Super AIDS in your butt, you're gone in a couple weeks.

I guess that's about 10 mg? Something like that.

Realistically, I would talk to local companies and be a contractor, initially. Do work for free, if they are excited about you, they could pay you "under-the-table" while you're seeking permanent residency, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

God damn, that is so uncharacteristic. What's the humidity, though? East Coast we get 30, 35 C days sometimes, but it blows when it's 78% humidity.
    Not much humidity in the summer. Usually the summer heat is pretty dry.

Out in Toronto and Montreal humidity gets crazy. I worked for a couple weeks outside Toronto one summer when it was between 42-48 with the humidex every day. Awful stuff.

OP
    ßöмßäяðîëя
    Apr 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #371,512
    Also, this is diabolical, but it can probably be done. Rent a space, a residential apartment, then, first day you are there, establish a business with the address via signing up online with the local state/municipality. Make yourself an Amazon account and resell items you buy from aliexpress.com for a 50% to 150% markup.

Hire no one, do everything yourself.

Here is the key: pay all of your taxes ahead of time. All the time. Establish a tax trail, pay everyone. Local authorities, everyone. Make sure there is record of it, get receipts.

Once you have some sort of business, no matter what you do, no country wants to throw out a tax payer.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
    @DAiDEViL yo, what's up in Germany? I hear two things. Huge protests (inflation?) & deutsche bank leaning towards abyss. What's your take there
    Really?

No to both I'd say.

There are a lot of public service folks on strike though, if that's what you mean. But I wouldn't necessarely link that to inflation. It's been boiling underneath the surface for quite a while, way before all the Ukrain shit happened.

DB should be safe.

Last edited:

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    :lol2:

1679949180236.png

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, I would think there are similar laws in European countries as America where you can claim asylum from persecution of a tyrannical government.

Iran meets those pre-reqs in my book, big guy.
    Assylum is a different story. I just wanted to clarify that if he gets a Schengen visa then it will be impossible to work.

OP
    ßöмßäяðîëя
    Apr 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #371,518
    Assylum is a different story. I just wanted to clarify that if he gets a Schengen visa then it's will be impossible to work.
    Oh, I totally get it, my post was combined, but they were completely separate thoughts. I thought the phrasing of the first sentence was quite humorous, like upper-arms.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    @AFL_ITALIA
    Exactly 3 months post-injury and I did my first hike today. 18 km in about 3 hrs. 3 km of it was breaking through a snow crust and sinking up to a ft deep with almost every step (decent incline uphill for 1.5k, then back down 1.5k). No pain, no feelings of instability or like the knee was going to give out. And somehow managed to maintain an almost 6 km/hr pace which is close to my pre-injury pace.

Of course, it’s just the first time out and next times could be much worse, but right now feeling super psyched.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    The Asian pr0n star?

@swag
    I first moved to Portugal as a tourist. But once I got here, I claimed residency through my wife (EU reunion visa), got my NIF (a kind of social security/tax number that's public), a Portuguese bank account, and started a job here. But I lined that up beforehand.

More often for immigrants I hear the story (a lot of this from Desis from Nepal, India, Pakistan) where it was easy to get a work visa and they could pick up anything here ... Uber driver, restauranteur, whatever.

There are other visas as well. The thing is we used to have a Non-Habitual Residency program where people with certain skills, particularly technical, were so desired you could claim 10 years at a 20% tax rate. They did this to attract both foreign talent and to draw expats back to the homeland. They stopped the program I believe after it worked a little too well. But it reflects the open climate for luring immigrant tech workers here.

And if you work in tech here, you're at a disadvantage if you don't know English. Much less so if you don't know Portuguese. English is spoken all over the country. We're not the Netherlands, but we're not too far off.

I love Montreal as a city. But the Quebecois are mostly such arrogant, pompous fuckers.
    Poutine-sucking, Céline-fokking maple chavs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 1506)