JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Ordered a massive greenhouse from Belgium. Arrived in port this week down in Texas, hopefully will be delivered soon. Can't wait.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone here use a greenhouse? I bough a couple small cheap ones from Amazon, they worked well so decide to buy a huge one for the backyard and try to grow all season long.

Does anyone care? probably not LOL
How big is massive? And why have you had to buy something like that from Belgium lol, there must be places in the US that make them?

I've had all sorts of greenhouses and growhouses over the years, but generally a proper glass frame greenhouse is better than plastic or even polycarbonate (imo) - the latter tends to either tear or become darker and less effective. The downside to glass being the obvious, especially if you have children or idiots living near you. Most have toughened glass now. Some like polycarbonate, but unless you pay for expensive clear polycarbonate models they tend to be slightly frosted so they keep heat in but less light gets in.

Really depends what your climate is like. If winters (and nights) are cold and spring/autumn a chance of being less than mild then hook up an electric fan heater - gas heaters tend to create damper air, which may or may not suit what you are growing.

Source: I'm English and they are popular here, our weather is not the best.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Only thing i care for is for Juve to finally sign some decent crossers LOL
Man U know I ain't gonna change though y u surprised :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

How big is massive? And why have you had to buy something like that from Belgium lol, there must be places in the US that make them?

I've had all sorts of greenhouses and growhouses over the years, but generally a proper glass frame greenhouse is better than plastic or even polycarbonate (imo) - the latter tends to either tear or become darker and less effective. The downside to glass being the obvious, especially if you have children or idiots living near you. Most have toughened glass now. Some like polycarbonate, but unless you pay for expensive clear polycarbonate models they tend to be slightly frosted so they keep heat in but less light gets in.

Really depends what your climate is like. If winters (and nights) are cold and spring/autumn a chance of being less than mild then hook up an electric fan heater - gas heaters tend to create damper air, which may or may not suit what you are growing.

Source: I'm English and they are popular here, our weather is not the best.
I wanted something that looked reasonably nice (Victorian style). Distributers sell them here in the US but they order them from Belgium. Belgian made, US Sold lol.

It's easy to get those half circle tunnel ones but not a fan of those, my goal is to be able to sit in there and have coffee, grow some "vegetables", citrus, etc.

We got glass, I think it will serve us better in winter as it warms up more quickly and no kids other than my kids at the moment but they will know they will get destroyed if they break something. Virginia has really warm/humid summers and can be warm up to October and winters can have a couple weeks in single digits but not often, usually in 20-30's F. I will probably install a small electric heater similar to what one would put in a garage, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the one: 13 feet by 20 feet (sorry for US measurements lol)

- - - Updated - - -

And massive by my neighborhood. Have to build a patio large enough to fit it.

Last edited:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Ordered a massive greenhouse from Belgium. Arrived in port this week down in Texas, hopefully will be delivered soon. Can't wait.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone here use a greenhouse? I bough a couple small cheap ones from Amazon, they worked well so decide to buy a huge one for the backyard and try to grow all season long.

Does anyone care? probably not LOL
lol, I’ve made a small one before using a frame and plastic drop cloth. It was a disaster . You’re definitely going the right way

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
lol, I’ve made a small one before using a frame and plastic drop cloth. It was a disaster . You’re definitely going the right way
I tried last year with painting wrap (what they use to tape off rooms before they spray paint lol)

was a disaster. wised up this year to try it for something that would fit on my porch. It's actually quite relaxing. I also tilled up about 240 square feet of my hard and made a nice garden. I have almost 30 pepper plants and half as many tomato plants. I'm going to be handing veggies out to the neighborhood, I totally overdid it :lol:

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
In the UK we'd call that a conservatory, or maybe a solarium, if you're using it as an external living area. Almost pointless somewhere warmer.

But by the sound of it Cam wants it as an orangery. To me that is more than a greenhouse.
I think so too. Here we use the terms solarium/conservatories too, but they are part of the house , like an extension to the living room but covered in windows. This will be outside in the backyard not attached to the house.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Man U know I ain't gonna change though y u surprised :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

I wanted something that looked reasonably nice (Victorian style). Distributers sell them here in the US but they order them from Belgium. Belgian made, US Sold lol.

It's easy to get those half circle tunnel ones but not a fan of those, my goal is to be able to sit in there and have coffee, grow some "vegetables", citrus, etc.

We got glass, I think it will serve us better in winter as it warms up more quickly and no kids other than my kids at the moment but they will know they will get destroyed if they break something. Virginia has really warm/humid summers and can be warm up to October and winters can have a couple weeks in single digits but not often, usually in 20-30's F. I will probably install a small electric heater similar to what one would put in a garage, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the one: 13 feet by 20 feet (sorry for US measurements lol)

- - - Updated - - -

And massive by my neighborhood. Have to build a patio large enough to fit it.
:heart:

https://waldenlabs.com/5-northern-greenhouse-examples/

I don’t know what your climate is like there, from what you said, similar too mine on the west coast here, coldest month averages mid-high 30s. You might get more sunshine in winter which helps. But generally in really cold climates, people steering away now from the traditional Victorian all-sides glass greenhouse (even though they look amazing), to heavily insulate at least the north side. Might be more of a Canadian thing though. Also the ideal is to match the glass angle on the south side to that of the sun at its lowest, weakest point of the year.

I had a greenhouse here on the coast before, just a cheap one too to keep my mandarin and lemon trees alive through the few really cold days we have each winter. Would like to build a proper one myself eventually, a couple hundred square ft, and use forced air through buried pipes to heat it enough to grow more citrus.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
:heart:

https://waldenlabs.com/5-northern-greenhouse-examples/

I don’t know what your climate is like there, from what you said, similar too mine on the west coast here, coldest month averages mid-high 30s. You might get more sunshine in winter which helps. But generally in really cold climates, people steering away now from the traditional Victorian all-sides glass greenhouse (even though they look amazing), to heavily insulate at least the north side. Might be more of a Canadian thing though. Also the ideal is to match the glass angle on the south side to that of the sun at its lowest, weakest point of the year.

I had a greenhouse here on the coast before, just a cheap one too to keep my mandarin and lemon trees alive through the few really cold days we have each winter. Would like to build a proper one myself eventually, a couple hundred square ft, and use forced air through buried pipes to heat it enough to grow more citrus.
I’m in the 6b/7a region. (DC area)

https://garden.org/nga/zipzone/2012/

We are growing citrus (orange/lemon) as well as a ton of veggies. Our contractor building our patio will install two electrical outlets that I will build the greenhouse over. That way I can install an electric heater to “try” to grow in the cold seasons too.
I will post picks in about 3 weeks when it’s all done. I can’t wait lol

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I’m in the 6b/7a region. (DC area)

https://garden.org/nga/zipzone/2012/

We are growing citrus (orange/lemon) as well as a ton of veggies. Our contractor building our patio will install two electrical outlets that I will build the greenhouse over. That way I can install an electric heater to “try” to grow in the cold seasons too.
I will post picks in about 3 weeks when it’s all done. I can’t wait lol
Awesome. Love it. Can’t wait to see.

I’m 7b/8a region, But unfortunately my property is a little cold microclimate on its own that is more like 7a/7b so most citrus won’t survive outdoors in the ground in colder winter years. Found that out the hard way. Kept mandarins and lemons alive through two winters and then had them die in a real cold snap. Lol :cry: Thankfully my fig trees, pomegranate bushes and pineapple guava bushes seem to come through winters unprotected just fine.

My parents live 15 minutes away on a little island in the Strait, and they probably have 8b winters there lol. Fuckers.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Awesome. Love it. Can’t wait to see.

I’m 7b/8a region, But unfortunately my property is a little cold microclimate on its own that is more like 7a/7b so most citrus won’t survive outdoors in the ground in colder winter years. Found that out the hard way. Kept mandarins and lemons alive through two winters and then had them die in a real cold snap. Lol :cry: Thankfully my fig trees, pomegranate bushes and pineapple guava bushes seem to come through winters unprotected just fine.

My parents live 15 minutes away on a little island in the Strait, and they probably have 8b winters there lol. Fuckers.
What I have planted “so far”:

eggplant x3
-English cucumber x6
-sweet banana peppers x6
-jalapeños X6
-squash X2
-Green bell pepper X1
-yellow bell pepper x1
-Orange bell pepper x1
-Red bell pepper x1
-sweet cherry tomatoes x8
-Juliet tomato x1
-beefsteak tomato x1
-la roma tomato x1
Kung pao hot peppers x1
-super chili pepper x1
-big boy tomato x3
-Hungarian hot peppers x2
-cherry bomb pepper x2
-kale x3
-swiss chard x6
-red/green garden salsa peppers x1
-oregano x3
-thyme x2
-strawberries x3
-chives x1
-sweet and Italian basil x3
-cilantro x1
-green onion x3
-rosemary x1
-sweet multicolored peppers x2
-hot Casablanca peppers x3
-giant Marconi (Giggity) peppers x1
-cowhorn hot pepper x1
-sweet mint x4
-mini lemon tree x1
-mini orange tree x1

:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

I went overboard big time

- - - Updated - - -

7D322E60-25C8-4FCF-932D-DB7448FF04EE.jpeg
That’s the garden I built with an drainage underneath to drain well :touched:

my baby lol

- - - Updated - - -

I have a lot more on one of my porches not in this picture

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 327)