Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
A few of the best mixed/mastered albums (imo):

Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine (!!!!!!!!!!)
Metallica - Metallica
Mezmerize - SoaD
Countdown To Extinction - Megadeth
BSSM - RHCP
Lateralus - Tool
Cool list.

I have a bunch of reference cd's too.

As far as mixing goes I love these (doesn't necessarily mean they're my favourite albums musically):

Nirvana - Nevermind (Andy Wallace and Butch Vig)
Radiohead - OK Computer (Nigel Godrich)
Green Day - American Idiot (Chris Lord Alge) [the drums and guitars on this album is where I go to listen when I'm in trouble]
Depeche Mode - Violator remaster (Flood)

There are others as well, but I find myself going back to these whenever I have a problem.

Buy on AliExpress.com

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Reznor pretty much educated Ogilvie and helped out with the mix on Call Me Maybe.
Oh :D

Did you ever check out the wave file from Death Magnetic? That's where the loudness war peaked imo

Who the fuck gets paid to do that?
DM is ridiculous. Not only is over compressed as fuck, but even the way the stuff is recorded sounds fucking shit. The drums just have a shit sound, the guitars sound tinny, the vocals sound too dry (?) for lack of a better word. You'd think with all their money they'd be able to do it decently, but no. I don't think a 90s Bob Rock mix would suit that album at all. Something more along the lines of United Abominations but dialed back a couple of notches would've suited it, I reckon.

Luckily, the music is still pretty decent.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool list.

I have a bunch of reference cd's too.

As far as mixing goes I love these (doesn't necessarily mean they're my favourite albums musically):

Nirvana - Nevermind (Andy Wallace and Butch Vig)
Radiohead - OK Computer (Nigel Godrich)
Green Day - American Idiot (Chris Lord Alge) [the drums and guitars on this album is where I go to listen when I'm in trouble]
Depeche Mode - Violator remaster (Flood)

There are others as well, but I find myself going back to these whenever I have a problem.
If you haven't heard RATM's first album and the mix on it, go listen. Especially on CD or wav/flac etc

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
I can only listen to Death Magnetic if I put on the Guitar Hero rip. Unprocessed recordings really that a few geeks tampered with to give it a nice feeling. Much, much better.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Eh yeah, terrific. So can you tell me why they write dB with a minus sign?
Generally, you don't, but this is specific for dsp only, in this case the limiter. It's just a way of making the damn thing not clip.

Kind of like how "proof" means something different in the natural sciences and in Law.

Setting a limiter to a minus value ensures that the audio doesn't go past a certain level, which in turn could be harmful to both speakers and the human ear. The exact math behind it is hidden in codes and algorithms, and I can't explain that part of it, nor is it of my concern. I just need the limiter to do what it's supposed to :D

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
I can only listen to Death Magnetic if I put on the Guitar Hero rip. Unprocessed recordings really that a few geeks tampered with to give it a nice feeling. Much, much better.
I downloaded that and was using that for a while but eventually I got rid of it and went back to my CD rip because it had these weird artefacts and was extremely quiet.

p.s. It's not nearly as bad if you listen to the CD on good speakers or high quality flac/wav compared to 320kbps MP3.

Soundgarden - Superunknown, Metallica - Garage Inc. 2 and Faith No More - The Real Thing need to be on that list too.
Superunknown is great, forgot about Garage, Inc. too. That is amazing, especially side 1 like Turn The Page and Mercyful Fate.

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard it, but it's been awhile. I'll give it another listen :)
Nice :D

Noodle

★ ★ ★
Jul 29, 2007
One thing I dislike is 99% of music today is so over-compressed that the music is partly ruined because of it. Taking away the dynamics kills so much atmosphere and its a small part of the reason of why the best 70s bands are as good as they were (at least on the records anyway). Fucking loudness wars :mad:

Ain't it beautiful. :touched:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 370)