'what are you currently listening to' Part 2 (34 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I haven't followed the hip-hop scene since about 2004, I don't know who half of these guys are. The only ones I really come across are those into the skate scene.

I just think the genre turned shit in terms of mainstream, and I don't have the desire or knowledge to follow most of the lesser known artists. I've probably listened to more hispanic, French and Italian hip-hop since then than any of the others. I grew up as a teen through the 90s so maybe was a bit spoiled.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Its more difficult to find the quality ones as readily because studio execs has dumbed down mainstream hip hop ages ago with basic as it gets limited fluff that is more production, beats and "catchy" chorus then any real MCing (with most selling artists being clowns that would get laughed out of a stage in the past, or they are decent/good rappers, who deliberately make worse music to SELL more, funny like that). But there are still TONS of good/quality hip hop music to find, just need to put in basic effort to find them outside your tv and radio. Lupe puts it well hehe:

And yeah frenchies are dope, no idea about hispanic though except the obvious few.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I know Lupe of course. Still listen to the likes of Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common, Dilated Peoples (are they still around?), Blu and some of the 90s stuff on playlists but that's about it.

Noodle

★ ★ ★
Jul 29, 2007
It isnt all crap (I dig I'm beamin alot), but its too much fluff, worse part is its decent/good in its own way, if it was your typical mainstream studio artist but its just not Lupe, its so clear he was being dictated creatively. I prefer Lupe just being himself...Like this:
Agreed 100 % :tup: Hopefully we'll get Food & Liquor 2 soon.

Only liked this song from Lasers
It's nice, but I prefer Letting Go, All Black Everything, Beautiful Lasers and Coming Up. :p

I know Lupe of course. Still listen to the likes of Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common, Dilated Peoples (are they still around?), Blu and some of the 90s stuff on playlists but that's about it.
If you want to I could name you some dope MCs you could check out. Glad to see you know Blu btw, really dope. If only he'd stop recording with a Gameboy Advance and start mastering his songs before he releases them. :D

Noodle

★ ★ ★
Jul 29, 2007
Yeah do some name checking and I'll add them to my Spotify.
You already know Lupe and Blu. Since you haven't followed the game since '04, I'd recommend Hell Hath No Fury by The Clipse, which dropped in 2006. Great production and rhymes. It's coke rap tho, so if you're one those who only listens to conscious rap you might not enjoy it. :p

From the really new cats I'd say:
Kendrick Lamar - Section 80
J. Cole - The Warm Up
Big KRIT - Return of 4eva

As for the more mainstream artists, I think Kanye is great. J. Cole's debut album (Cole World: The Sideline Story) is pretty dope too.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Lol C-Murder, keeping it real, too real for his own good, meaned everything he rhymed, and hence he is in prison for life with no parole for murder :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 29)