'what are you currently listening to' Part 2 (39 Viewers)

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
The Sword are fucking awesome. I can only recommend you getting all three of their albums and having a great time. They're great live, too :D

Check this one out, dat riffing :tuttosport:

- - - Updated - - -

These guys are a breath of fresh air on todays metal scene.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Yeah I downloaded all of them today :D

They have a new album coming out on the 22nd of this month. And I'm seeing them live at that festival next year too :D

Just listening through 'Gods of the Earth' now.

Definitely. Metal today is all becoming so homogenous it's fucking boring, not to mention all the overused cookie monster vocals. And I'm not even going to talk about the hardcore genres, they are an even bigger joke.

Formula for metal band today:
Tune down to drop d 1 full octave down
Compress everything to shit (ala Andy Sneap)
Cookie monster vocals
Play as many notes as possible

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Yeah I downloaded all of them today :D

They have a new album coming out on the 22nd of this month. And I'm seeing them live at that festival next year too :D

Just listening through 'Gods of the Earth' now.

Definitely. Metal today is all becoming so homogenous it's fucking boring, not to mention all the overused cookie monster vocals. And I'm not even going to talk about the hardcore genres, they are an even bigger joke.

Formula for metal band today:
Tune down
Compress everything to shit (ala Andy Sneap)
Cookie monster vocals
Play as many notes as possible
FOR REAL? :O

A couple of bands do it well, but there's just so much mediocrity in there. I don't have a problem with either of the things in your "formula", I do have a problem when people don't do it right though :p

- - - Updated - - -

My personal favorite is the first album or Warp Riders. Warp Riders is a bit less metal and more focused on the song writing, fun as hell :D The opening track on Warp Riders is everything I wanted Death Magnetic to be, but alas.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
FOR REAL? :O

A couple of bands do it well, but there's just so much mediocrity in there. I don't have a problem with either of the things in your "formula", I do have a problem when people don't do it right though :p

- - - Updated - - -

My personal favorite is the first album or Warp Riders. Warp Riders is a bit less metal and more focused on the song writing, fun as hell :D
Yep, no joke.

Everybody wants to sound like Meshuggah imo... from metal to hardcore. It's just so stale when everybody does it.

I'll check it out.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Yep, no joke.

Everybody wants to sound like Meshuggah imo... from metal to hardcore. It's just so stale when everybody does it.

I'll check it out.
It's not so much that everyone wants to sound like Meshuggah, it's just that Meshuggah have been doing their thing for so many years that they practically perfected that sound. There's a great bit in a video where Townsend is recoring his "Deconstruction". In one of the really multilayered and complex songs the camera glanses down on the note sheet and it says "Just ripping off Meshuggah" :lol:

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
It's not so much that everyone wants to sound like Meshuggah, it's just that Meshuggah have been doing their thing for so many years that they practically perfected that sound. There's a great bit in a video where Townsend is recoring his "Deconstruction". In one of the really multilayered and complex songs the camera glanses down on the note sheet and it says "Just ripping off Meshuggah" :lol:
A lot of bands would have copied them though and they were (I think, you probably know more about it than me) one of the bands to create that kind of sound that is so common today.

Point is, imo it's done to death and stale as fuck. The majority of metal bands don't even have proper riffs anymore, it's just chugging or extremely fast alternate picking with little melodies thrown in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 39)