What a Day... (1 Viewer)

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
Here is my story of what I have been doing all day (Saturday, June 3, 2004). This is a true story.

Anyways, I had a long night the night before so I woke up late on Saturday at around 2:30PM. I walked over to my computer and turned it on. Its all going good while its booting, when suddenly a blue screen of death pops up saying my registry is corrupt. I said maybe a second restart would fix this. I restart, same problem. Now Im pissed. PISSED. My computer has never crashed on me. So I decide to start using my old DELL P3 (which only has a 1gb hdd becuase i fried the 13gb that came with it). I bring that computer downstairs to my room and hook it up to the interent. To my suprise, it has that 60 second shut down worm. Finally after like 10 restarts I get that problem solved. At that point, I decide the best thing to do is buy a new hdd and back up all my music/videos and then reinstall windows on the corrputed hdd. But that plan means waiting a couple of weeks, since I dont have that much cash right now.

So anyways, I start to investigate this problem in google, yes I used the interent, as always recommended by gray, and I find an official Windows Knowledge article. To my suprise, this article claims that in order to repair my computer, i needed to have system restore enabled. But I always disable that just because I do not find it necessary.

Anways, after hours of searching, I decide to quit and start using the Dell for my everyday use. I even made juventuz.com my homepage. So I go out and watch a movie and return home at around 10:30. Now I decide to tackle this problem one more time, since I was thinking about it the whole day. So I go and do some more research and come up with more websites/microsoft articles about system restore, chkdsk and the registry.

Just a little side note, I have grown a lot of respect for Microsoft becuase of their Knowledge Base Articles that discuss and solve most system problems involving windows. Doing research about your computers problems really pays off. Use google!

FInally, I come up with an article that claims that you might be able to fix the problem with a simple scan of chkdsk in system restore. Then I went through instructions on how to get to system restore through the XP boot cd and what to type. Finally, I start doing various chkdsks. I did the /p /c and I think i stoped have way through /r becuase it was taking too long ;) Haha, anways, I reboot my computer and to my suprise IT WORKED!

I still dont understand what the problem was and if it was solved or how the heck it started. If any of you understand the windows xp registry system and what the various versions of chkdsk do, could you tell me how my problem could have started and what chkdsk did to fix it?

When I booted windows for the first time, it was reinstalling my Cd-rom drive and stuff becuase part of the registry was cleared. I also had to reinstall media player because the registry had a different version registered than what I had installed.

Any opinions as to why this happened would be appreciated.

If you want to know what the blue screen said during the bootup is:

c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SYSTEM or its log or alternate.

Thank god I solved the problem, even though I have no idea what the problem was exactly ;)

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
  • Thread Starter #2
    Just a little side note: at approx. 10:30 when I came home and decided to give it a shot one more time, I made a deal with myself that I would be playing CS by 12. That means that I would have my computer restored in 1:30 hours. Suprisingly, I made it ahead of schedule :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
    try to summarize it in about 3-5 sentences next time. some people have something to do with their life.
    you of all people are saying that? :LOL:

Good to hear you fixed it PM, I know the feeling of getting over a major pc annoyance :geek:

I'm glad you realised the practicality of actually using google like I always say :D Really, it's not a joke, google holds the answer to 99% of your problems :thumb:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    To keep my answer as short as possibly by geek standards, my answer is:

There are 6,000 machines that make up the google 'backbone', and they've indexed about 2 billion web pages last time I checked. Basically, google 'knows about' more pages and has a complex ranking system by which it decides which pages are most relevant to users' searches.

:D

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    To keep my answer as short as possibly by geek standards, my answer is:

There are 6,000 machines that make up the google 'backbone', and they've indexed about 2 billion web pages last time I checked. Basically, google 'knows about' more pages and has a complex ranking system by which it decides which pages are most relevant to users' searches.

... and I have two months worth of research (& Report w/ presentation) for my Senior Computer Science seminar class to back that up!

you tell them gray!
    google's da bomb! :cool:

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    Ok ok!! I believe you! :D

But why aren't others "investing" whatever into whatever, to get to Google's level?

And generally, how many webpages are there?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by kurvengeflüster ] ++
    Gray, how many shares do you get from Page and Brin for promoting Google? :)
    It's a secret :p Let's just say it's a fair few :)
    ++ [ originally posted by Pendir_E65 ] ++
    But why aren't others "investing" whatever into whatever, to get to Google's level?
    Because others are too busy trying to be portals rather than search engines, and they load their pages with crappy content and advertising. Instead of having their power under the hood, they promote themselves with wishy-washy horsecrap like "personalised pages" and the like.
    ++ [ originally posted by Pendir_E65 ] ++
    And generally, how many webpages are there?
    No idea :) At the rate they're created, you'd be hard-pressed to get any kind of ballpark figure :sleepy:

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Because others are too busy trying to be portals rather than search engines, and they load their pages with crappy content and advertising. Instead of having their power under the hood, they promote themselves with wishy-washy horsecrap like "personalised pages" and the like.
    Ok, but if google has no advertising... how do they make money?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Ahh think again my friend ;) I didn't say they have no advertising, as that would be fiscal suicide. What I said was that they don't fill up their pages with advertising. In fact, they've made it so subtle that few people are aware that any advertising takes place on Google at all :D Check out the links at the bottom of the homepage too.

"Advertising Programmes - Business Solutions....." ;)

Take a look for yourself, type in a generic word into google like "lawnmowers", and check out the 'Sponsored Links' column to the right of the page. Do you think they got there for free? :D

Also, AFAIK, google does custom search solutions for large corporations.

OP

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
  • Thread Starter #14
    They do have advertising, excpet its called relevant text advertising. Very smart if you ask me. I'm too tired to explain this, its 2:30 am here :yawn:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)