Weston “Immovable” McKennie (20 Viewers)

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Let's slow down with the Vidal comparisons.

We didn't discover 24yo Vidal, he was a star in the BL and for Chile, were able to sign him simply because Leverkusen preferred not to sell to Bayern. If McKennie achieves those levels it would be amazing, but for now lets let him be who he is.

McKennie is good and has been a great surprise but he isn't world class or close to world class. He has the benefit of low expectations coming into this season. There are enough players better than him in his role. He is only 22 though, so he have plenty of reasons to be optimistic about his growth.
Don't worry. I don't think Weston's reading this thread. People like to make comparisons to other players as a point of reference. Vidal very fairly comes to mind.

Btw, did you follow Vidal whilst he was in Germany? I ask because superstars, as far as I can recall, really showed their potential by 20 or so years barring Barzagli. I'm sure I'm wrong about this but think of all the world's best ever. I swear most of them were hyped by around the age of 20.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Don't worry. I don't think Weston's reading this thread. People like to make comparisons to other players as a point of reference. Vidal very fairly comes to mind.

Btw, did you follow Vidal whilst he was in Germany? I ask because superstars, as far as I can recall, really showed their potential by 20 or so years barring Barzagli. I'm sure I'm wrong about this but think of all the world's best ever. I swear most of them were hyped by around the age of 20.
I didn't watch Vidal closely in Germany, just some matches and some for Chile. He was a known quality though. I remember when we signed he was coming off a great season and was in conversation of the league's best midfielder.

McKennie is a long way from that, our midfield is so devoid of grinta and energy that he is breath of fresh air. Also the expectations were so low with him vs someone like Rabiot or Arthur, that everything is a good surprise.

Thinking of recent Serie A players of his mold, Kessie is currently superior and of a similar age. His level at Atalanta at like 20 years old was great. Barella is an even better player, massive talent in this role and 1 year older than McKennie. Allan at Udinese and Napoli was great. Nainggolan at his peak was only slightly lower than Vidal's. De Rossi was already a WC winner at 22 years old or so. All players that were pretty great from early on, exploding at a range of ages 22-24.

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
When he came on in last 30 minutes i was convinced we were gonna turn things around :lol2:
That's on Pirlo. BigMac starting instead Berna it would have been an entire different game... the way BiMac run into the space in defense and attack it helps us to create space in one area and close it in the other... I still don't get how Pirlo was so stupid to start Berna over him, I really don't get it

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I didn't watch Vidal closely in Germany, just some matches and some for Chile. He was a known quality though. I remember when we signed he was coming off a great season and was in conversation of the league's best midfielder.

McKennie is a long way from that, our midfield is so devoid of grinta and energy that he is breath of fresh air. Also the expectations were so low with him vs someone like Rabiot or Arthur, that everything is a good surprise.

Thinking of recent Serie A players of his mold, Kessie is currently superior and of a similar age. His level at Atalanta at like 20 years old was great. Barella is an even better player, massive talent in this role and 1 year older than McKennie. Allan at Udinese and Napoli was great. Nainggolan at his peak was only slightly lower than Vidal's. De Rossi was already a WC winner at 22 years old or so. All players that were pretty great from early on, exploding at a range of ages 22-24.
Kessie is 24, Mckennie is 22. That's 2 years of difference. Nainggolan started to make a name for himself beginning about 10 years ago, so he was about 22, similarly to Mckennie. These players and the others basically started in Serie A and were accustomed to the league at that point. Mckennie is new to the league and still doing well. He may never be as good as Vidal, but no reason to write off the player because "he's already 22."

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Kessie is 24, Mckennie is 22. That's 2 years of difference. Nainggolan started to make a name for himself beginning about 10 years ago, so he was about 22, similarly to Mckennie. These players and the others basically started in Serie A and were accustomed to the league at that point. Mckennie is new to the league and still doing well. He may never be as good as Vidal, but no reason to write off the player because "he's already 22."
Kessie is only one and a half years older, mostly insignificant. Anyway he had already exploded for Atalanta at 20.

I never said to write him off, the other poster was bringing up a good point about when other great players come into the scene. I like McKennie, definitely a good part of our season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)