'We' debate (1 Viewer)

Dec 27, 2003
++ [ originally posted by blackmint ] ++
I know this sounds a bit odd, but unless you are that nationality, do you think it is right to call the nation you support we? (edit)

I always call italy we, since i am italian. But however, i always call ireland We aswell, since i have plenty of irish family, but however do not have irish blood in me.

What do you think? Do you have to be italian to call italy we, or not?
I wouldn't say it matters as long as it is sports you are talking about. One can support any club or nation he wishes I guess, and by doing so he becomes part of a group of people and can therefore refer to it as "we".

I am however more bothered by people with little knowledge of Italy (its history, language and modus vivendi) who, because they have Italian ancestors who moved to the country in which they were born and brought up, use "we" as if they belonged to Italy and were speaking for her.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

well what do you want me to do? Go around deleting all of the posts that aren't on-topic? What I'm saying is that a useful discussion can still come of this thread.

Just because you're resentful of the Winning Eleven series, doesn't mean you need to go on crusade every time someone makes a thread that spills over into a discussion about WE :)
Gray, you locked my topic for the exact same reason...one rule for one...one rule for all :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Nicole ] ++
Gray, you locked my topic for the exact same reason...one rule for one...one rule for all :D
yeah, but your thread's topic at hand was long over, while this one still has a chance of spawning a decent discussion ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)