WCQ: Italy vs. Scotland, Belarus (24 Viewers)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
Indefensible Italia
9/5/2005 6:49:00 PM

Italy’s goal -- scored 14 minutes from the end -- came off a set piece and did not involve Totti, Vieri or Iaquinta (who was taken out of the game in the second half for Luca Toni). Mauro Camoranesi sent in a corner kick that skimmed off the head of a Scottish defender and forced goalkeeper Craig Gordon into a spectacular one-handed diving save. The ball bounced to Fabio Grosso -- a second half sub for Zaccardo -- who blasted the ball into the goal.

goal.com

Just for the record - the goal was a deflecton off McNamara - Grosso's shot was going straight back towards the keeper

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Lippi has selection doubts
Tuesday 6 September, 2005

Italy boss Marcello Lippi has conceded that the loss of Alex Del Piero may result in a tactical rethink for the Belarus game.

The Juventus captain pulled out of the World Cup qualifier earlier today with a thigh problem, leaving Lippi to ponder his options.

"I’m very disappointed for Alex who was looking in good form over the past few days," the Coach commented.

"Will we still play with a trident attack in his absence? Alex has certain characteristics and I will now evaluate a few other solutions.

"We could do some different things than we did in Glasgow. I’ll only decide on the team once the final training session is over."

Del Piero was being tipped to start in a three-man attack consisting of himself, Francesco Totti and a target man between Alberto Gilardino or Luca Toni.

The Azzurri drew 1-1 in Scotland on Saturday but that disappointing display will result in changes.

"I am forced into two as Daniele De Rossi and Gianluca Zambrotta are suspended," added the former Juventus Coach. "I already had a couple more changes in my mind before.

"In order to be mathematically certain of qualification, we need seven points and I don’t care where they come from.

"All I can assure ahead of Wednesday is that we will start the match with the intention of winning, as we did against Scotland."

Meanwhile, Alberto Gilardino insists that his relationship with Lippi is still good despite his shock omission from the side at the weekend.

"I am fortunate to have a good dialogue with the Coach which allows us to go forward in the right manner," said the Milan striker.

"We have spoken and I didn’t criticise his decision. We have a relationship made up of mutual respect.

"I have trained well and there are no problems. I am at the total disposal of the Coach."

Football Italia

Dr-Juve

Mar 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++

Just for the record - the goal was a deflecton off McNamara - Grosso's shot was going straight back towards the keeper
yeah they were lcky to score that goal bcuz it was from a very difficult angle
though it was close

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I am just curious why would anyone want to play Vieri , Iaquinta and Totti

Why 2 tall strikers? It just invites lumping the ball in the air and its not very attacking in my view
Does not suit Italy at all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 24)