WCQ: Italy vs. Scotland, Belarus (40 Viewers)

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Indefensible Italia
9/5/2005 6:49:00 PM
Who would have ever thought that there would be a time when Italy’s offense looked better than its defense?
While I applaud coach Marcello Lippi’s attempts to add more offensive flair to his line-up, he needs to shore up the defense if the Azzurri want to qualify (and win) the World Cup.

Italy’s backline looked abysmal against Scotland this past Saturday. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not calling on Lippi to abandon his offensive-minded approach in favor of the catenaccio, but I’d rather have the team play dull calcio and win, than play an attacking game and struggle for a 1-1 tie.

The real trouble spot for the Azzurri was on the left flank where Gianluca Zambrotta and Daniele De Rossi spent most of the game focused on aiding the attack rather than hanging back. That left the Italian half vulnerable to large gaps and allowed a feisty Scottish offense to find space in the penalty area. Mamma mia, this is no way to play defense!

It was exactly one of those defensive lapses that allowed Scotland to take a 1-0 lead just 13 minutes into the game. Darren Fletcher played the ball out to midfielder Paul Hartley who swung a curling cross in for Kenny Miller -- who easily outpaced defender Christian Zaccardo -- and beat Angelo Peruzzi with a perfect header.

Even regulars Fabio Cannavaro and Alessandro Nesta had a hard time containing the speedy Scottish offense and often found themselves out of position. Not a good sign considering Scotland isn’t the toughest team in the world. If the back four had focused on defending, rather than attacking, the Italians would have maintained a clean slate.

To Italy’s credit, the goal energized the Azzurri offensively, even though it was Scotland’s defense who enjoyed the vast majority of ball possession. It was only in the second half where the Italians were able to dominate, even though Francesco Totti and Christian Vieri were unable to score.

Actually, Lippi’s attacking trio never really took off and wasted numerous chances to tie the game. Vieri botched an attempt in front of the net (similar to his failed shot against South Korea at the last World Cup) off a perfect Totti pass while Udinese forward Vincenzo Iaquinta was invisible for the entire first half.

AC Milan striker Alberto Gilardino was left off the squad at the last minute (Lippi would later say he was not fit) in favor of Iaquinta. That turned out to be a big mistake, even though Lippi went on the day after the match to say he thought Iaquinta was a better choice. I find it hard to imagine that a proven goalscorer like Gilardino would have been less effective than Iaquinta. Gilardino would have guaranteed more consistency upfront, particularly because he has played alongside Vieri for the past month.

Italy’s goal -- scored 14 minutes from the end -- came off a set piece and did not involve Totti, Vieri or Iaquinta (who was taken out of the game in the second half for Luca Toni). Mauro Camoranesi sent in a corner kick that skimmed off the head of a Scottish defender and forced goalkeeper Craig Gordon into a spectacular one-handed diving save. The ball bounced to Fabio Grosso -- a second half sub for Zaccardo -- who blasted the ball into the goal.

The Italians travel to Minsk to take on Belarus on Wednesday in yet another match that could again trip up the Azzurri. Lippi needs to plug its leaky defense in order to shut down opponents from taking an early lead. If not, Italy risks complicating its rocky road to the World Cup finals.

goal.com

This is 100% correct !!!

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Materazzi on the defensive
Monday 5 September, 2005

Marco Materazzi has urged Italy boss Marcello Lippi to not use an untested three-man defence in Belarus.

There is speculation that Lippi could opt for such a tactic after Saturday’s disappointing display in the 1-1 draw against Scotland.

But although Materazzi would probably be promoted to the first team with the introduction of a 3-4-3 formation, the stopper is remaining cautious.

"I think it is rather risky to change the system without trying it out first," said the Inter centre-back.

"I am ready for use but we have never played with a three-man defence. We’ll see what Lippi decides."

It’s unclear at this stage what plans the tactician has for Wednesday’s crucial qualifier in the former Soviet Union.

Whispers this morning suggested that Alex Del Piero and Alberto Gilardino will be recalled to the starting line-up, supported by Francesco Totti in a trident attack.

However, Lippi tested a front three of Totti, Gilardino and Luca Toni in one of today’s practice sessions.

"I don’t know who will start," said Fiorentina striker Toni. "It’s obvious that everyone here wants to play but there are only 11 shirts. If Lippi wants me then I will be ready."

Two changes that look almost certain to occur are the introduction of Fabio Grosso, who scored on Saturday, and Mauro Camoranesi to the starting line-up.

They will step in for the suspended Gianluca Zambrotta of Juventus and Roma midfielder Daniele De Rossi.

Football Italia

So it looks like both Vieri and Iaquinta will be dropped and Gilardino will start for sure with Toni and Del Piero competing for the other place in attack.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
So it looks like both Vieri and Iaquinta will be dropped and Gilardino will start for sure with Toni and Del Piero competing for the other place in attack.
If Lippi opts to play DP, I would rather have him play along Toni than Gilardino, but unfortunately media and fan pressure will not allow that to happen as Gila is considered as the saviour despite his current bad form. Hopefully he will pick up the form tomorrow and get back to bad form next weekend :D

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
More Bench In Del Piero's Future

9/5/2005 3:57:00 PM

Alessandro Del Piero is set to start on the bench when Italy face Belarus on Wednesday.

After being left out of the team that faced Scotland on Saturday, the Juventus skipper was hoping to get Lippi’s nod for Wednesday’s crucial World Cup Qualifier, but tests carried out in today’s training session seem to indicate Lippi will opt for a three man attack composed by Totti, Toni, and Gilardino.

Despite these negative signals, Del Piero does however still nurture some hopes of playing from the starting whistle.

“Hopefully my time has come. We can ‘t achieve a draw. We must win,” he said

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
At times I wonder why they are leaving him out
He assisted Gila's goal last match and scored 11 months before that as a captain

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Apparently Lippi and Capello are jealous of him and can't see that he deserves to be played ahead of the other players ;)

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
well in the azzuri he didnt even get his chance, he should get his chance in this game ahead of toni. he didnt do anything in the game against the scots

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Well DP just got injured during training so he won't play tomorrow, therefore the trident will definitely be Totti-Gila-Toni

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
Well DP just got injured during training so he won't play tomorrow, therefore the trident will definitely be Totti-Gila-Toni
so he will not be even on the bench against empoli if he is injured

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++

so he will not be even on the bench against empoli if he is injured
He might be back for the Empoli game. It isn't a serious injury. It's particularly disappointing for DP because in today's practise Lippi played him in the first team so there was a good chance that he might have started tomorrow.

Tifoso_old

Aug 12, 2005
Nazionale, Del Piero a casa
L'attaccante nell'ultima seduta scozzese ha rimediato una contrattura all'adduttore destro: tornerà in Italia. Nesta (contusione al polso destro) è recuperabile per Minsk
Alessandro Del Piero, 31 anni. ApMOTHERWELL (Scozia), 6 settembre 2005 - A dieci minuti dalla fine dell'ultima seduta scozzese della nazionale, Alessandro Del Piero ha abbandonato il terreno di gioco scuro in volto ed è rientrato negli spogliatoi. Verdetto allarmante: l'attaccante si è procurato una contrattura all'adduttore destro che ne rende impossibile la disponibilità per la gara di domani con la Bielorussia.
A spiegare subito la situazione del giocatore è stato il professor Enrico Castellacci: "Si tratta di una lieve contrattura all'adduttore. Valuteremo se è possibile recuperarlo in 24 ore. Ovviamente faremo del nostro meglio. Ogni giocatore ha una struttura muscolare, e dunque non si può dire se 24 ore sono sufficienti". Poco più tardi l'annuncio, in seguito ad un consulto tra il giocatore, il c.t. Lippi e lo stesso Castellacci: "Sto tornando a casa, non c'è altro da aggiungere", ha dichiarato un Del Piero visibilmente infastidito. Tanto più che, per la cronaca, nella partitella 10 contro 10, Lippi aveva schierato lo juventino fra i titolari.
Nessun allarme, invece, per Nesta, cha ha subito un trauma contusivo al polso destro: "Ma non compromette la sua disponibilità per domani", ha chiarito Castellacci. E dunque il difensore contro la Bielorussia ci sarà

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 40)