WCQ: Italy vs. Scotland, Belarus (37 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
Btw I don't know where you guys saw that, but Gilardino wasn't left out because of an injury or anything. Lippi just thought that he wasn't on top of his form to play him and said that he had informed the player and he had agreed to that.

However, Gilardino said that Lippi never spoke to him about it and that he only found out about his exclusion at midday along with the rest of the team.
Well, I guess Lippi knows better than us who's fit or not, but I would have still taken the risk. I mean, Gilardino is still as good as Vieri when he's not fully fit. And if not Gilardino, then surely Toni should have started.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
So should we add Lippi to the hate list now that also he did not play DP? And to think we believed Lippi was better than Capello at judging players!
I don't think anyone is hating Lippi :). IMO his substitions were justified, although I believe that del Piero could have been useful as well.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
To be honest Gilardino has been disappointing since joining Milan. If I remember correctly he only scored one goal (open net) in the USA Tour and has hardly set any bridges on fire or improved the Rossoneri.

For the next match I would like to see Totti behind Gila and Toni.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Seven ] ++

I don't think anyone is hating Lippi :). IMO his substitions were justified, although I believe that del Piero could have been useful as well.
Ok but be honest, if that was Capello and not Lippi, some people on here would have already asked for his head for not playing DP and saying that he is biased against him and that he hates him and whatever. However I think that if Lippi continues not playing DP, he might actually lose his appeal with some Juve fans :eek:

OP
danielão

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #286
    Apparently Gilardino was as surprised as the rest of us that he wasn't playing. Gila says he had no injury, but Lippi says it was a decision between the two of them to save Gila for Belarus.

OP
    danielão

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #287
    To be honest Gilardino has been disappointing since joining Milan. If I remember correctly he only scored one goal (open net) in the USA Tour and has hardly set any bridges on fire or improved the Rossoneri.
    1. He's played one meaningful game for Milan...
    2. He's scored in 3 of the last 4 games that he's played for Italy.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by littleD ] ++

1. He's played one meaningful game for Milan...
    2. He's scored in 3 of the last 4 games that he's played for Italy.
    Yeah but with Milan he plays every week, for the Azzurri these last 4 games = spread over the past few months. For these games you need players with short-term good form not ones that their good form includes matches from some months ago.

As much as I like Gilardino, Toni is more in form right now and should have played from the start.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Seven ] ++

It wasn't his substitutions that were off, it was his starting lineup. Leaving out Gila for no apparent reason and not starting Camoranesi or Toni were definitely questionable selections to say the least.

Maher

Juventuz addict
    Dec 16, 2002
    Lippi under fire over Gila mystery Sunday 4 September, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Italian Press was unimpressed by some of Marcello Lippi’s choices in Scotland, especially as Alberto Gilardino revealed he was not injured.

The Milan striker, who arrived from Parma in a £17m deal in the summer, was expected to start the match only to end up in the stands for the 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw.

“I only found out I would be watching the game at around midday,” he said. “I was given no explanation, but that’s part of football. The Coach’s decision is final.”

Lippi had assured that it was a mutual choice, claiming that the player was “not quite as sharp as he should’ve been” and “agreed it was best to sit this one out so that he could return to face Belarus on Wednesday.”

He instead chose Udinese forward Vincenzo Iaquinta to complete the trident attack with Christian Vieri and Francesco Totti, changing two thirds of the starting strike force he’d used in the 2-1 friendly victory over the Republic of Ireland.

One player who did remain from that Dublin test was Cristian Zaccardo, whose costly error allowed Kenny Miller to open the scoring. The Palermo full-back had also given away a goal in Ireland last month and the Press in the Peninsula considers him something of a liability.

His substitute, Palermo teammate Fabio Grosso, was far more effective and even scored the equaliser at Hampden Park, but Lippi insists it’s not the end of the road.

“Zaccardo was not substituted because I wasn’t happy with his performance. It was simply so that I could have a more attacking option on that side and Grosso allowed me that,” maintained the Azzurri boss.

With Norway’s 3-2 victory in Slovenia last night, Italy’s lead at the top of Group Five has been cut to just two points, making Wednesday’s journey to Belarus a potentially perilous one. Gianluca Zambrotta and Daniele De Rossi will be suspended, so Lippi must make further changes to a side that disappointed in Scotland.

Mauro German Camoranesi should step in for the Roma midfielder, but there is clearly a growing problem finding reliable full-backs. Some sections of the local Press are now suggesting that Christian Panucci be recalled to the international set-up, although that might be unlikely considering his past rows with Lippi during their time at Inter.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Lippi under fire over Gila mystery
    Sunday 4 September, 2005

The Italian Press was unimpressed by some of Marcello Lippi’s choices in Scotland, especially as Alberto Gilardino revealed he was not injured.

The Milan striker, who arrived from Parma in a £17m deal in the summer, was expected to start the match only to end up in the stands for the 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw.

“I only found out I would be watching the game at around midday,” he said. “I was given no explanation, but that’s part of football. The Coach’s decision is final.”

Lippi had assured that it was a mutual choice, claiming that the player was “not quite as sharp as he should’ve been” and “agreed it was best to sit this one out so that he could return to face Belarus on Wednesday.”

He instead chose Udinese forward Vincenzo Iaquinta to complete the trident attack with Christian Vieri and Francesco Totti, changing two thirds of the starting strike force he’d used in the 2-1 friendly victory over the Republic of Ireland.

One player who did remain from that Dublin test was Cristian Zaccardo, whose costly error allowed Kenny Miller to open the scoring. The Palermo full-back had also given away a goal in Ireland last month and the Press in the Peninsula considers him something of a liability.

His substitute, Palermo teammate Fabio Grosso, was far more effective and even scored the equaliser at Hampden Park, but Lippi insists it’s not the end of the road.

“Zaccardo was not substituted because I wasn’t happy with his performance. It was simply so that I could have a more attacking option on that side and Grosso allowed me that,” maintained the Azzurri boss.

With Norway’s 3-2 victory in Slovenia last night, Italy’s lead at the top of Group Five has been cut to just two points, making Wednesday’s journey to Belarus a potentially perilous one. Gianluca Zambrotta and Daniele De Rossi will be suspended, so Lippi must make further changes to a side that disappointed in Scotland.

Mauro German Camoranesi should step in for the Roma midfielder, but there is clearly a growing problem finding reliable full-backs. Some sections of the local Press are now suggesting that Christian Panucci be recalled to the international set-up, although that might be unlikely considering his past rows with Lippi during their time at Inter.

Football Italia

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    well thats quite normal with everything else if you think about it
    depending on the standards of the person

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    I thought things would be different when Lippi took over, he would have a new plan for our Azzurri, something different than Trap Crap.

Well the plan is different, but the results similar

Our team was outclassed by the Scots...

Our team was out-muscled by the Scots...

Our team was out-hustled by the scots....

the Scots played better football than our Azzurri today

And Scotland aint even that good of a team !!!!

I laugh everytime I read the FIFA world rankings lately....to think that those bozos think Mexico and the USA are better than our Azzurri...what a joke, right ??!!!

It pains me to admit that my home country, the USA, have a better team than Italy does. I thought it would never be possible.....

Today, the way we played, we would have had a hard time beating San Marino, FFS !!!!

And Canna thinks we are on level terms with Brazil ????

Maybe the u-16's, but thats about it !!!

Brazil will crush this team, if they meet in the WC next summer...if we make it

Onto the game.... forgive me all you Totti fans , but this guy does NOTHING for our team...he dives, and takes cheap shots when he's pissed. We need more than that in the trequartista position. He is the most overrated player on this team !!

Zaccardo should never wear the shirt again...he is not deserving of it

My man Bobo had a fair game, up until the flashback to the Korea game in WC 2002. Does he practice with his right foot in training, because it fvcking sucks !!!!

Iaquinta did nothing out there, he and Toni are not replacements for Vieri

What the hell is Gattuso taking shots from 30 meters out for ??? he can score from 30 feet !!

Derossi should sit...Camo should start !!

Lippis trident failed because Scotland packed the midfield with 5 players, compared to our 3...dont think other teams didnt see that !!!

As much as Lippi said we wouldnt play the longball, thats pretty much what happened. We couldnt string passes together, we had no rhythm (until late in the game), and seemed way off balance. I kept thinking "our guys look like their all playing with just one shoe on their feet ..."

We were DAMN LUCKY to earn a draw.....

we wont always be so lucky !!!

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    TBH Italy was still better than Scotland. Sure, Italy sucked, but it's still pretty clear it's a classy team. No need to act dramatically IMO.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    I hardly think the scots outclassed you. A combination of one moment of poor defending, and several clear cut opportunities missed meant you only got a draw.

But you're right, Vieri's right foot is absolutely awful for such a top level striker. So bad its embarassing.. its not an understatement to say that the 5 year old kid down the road has a better right foot..I mean how does he even look at himself in the morning jknowing he earns a packet for kicking a ball about and he can't even kick with 50% of his feet.. it beggars belief..

Tifoso_old

Aug 12, 2005
    ++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
    I thought things would be different when Lippi took over, he would have a new plan for our Azzurri, something different than Trap Crap.

Well the plan is different, but the results similar

Our team was outclassed by the Scots...

Our team was out-muscled by the Scots...

Our team was out-hustled by the scots....

the Scots played better football than our Azzurri today

And Scotland aint even that good of a team !!!!

I laugh everytime I read the FIFA world rankings lately....to think that those bozos think Mexico and the USA are better than our Azzurri...what a joke, right ??!!!

It pains me to admit that my home country, the USA, have a better team than Italy does. I thought it would never be possible.....

Today, the way we played, we would have had a hard time beating San Marino, FFS !!!!

And Canna thinks we are on level terms with Brazil ????

Maybe the u-16's, but thats about it !!!

Brazil will crush this team, if they meet in the WC next summer...if we make it

Onto the game.... forgive me all you Totti fans , but this guy does NOTHING for our team...he dives, and takes cheap shots when he's pissed. We need more than that in the trequartista position. He is the most overrated player on this team !!

Zaccardo should never wear the shirt again...he is not deserving of it

My man Bobo had a fair game, up until the flashback to the Korea game in WC 2002. Does he practice with his right foot in training, because it fvcking sucks !!!!

Iaquinta did nothing out there, he and Toni are not replacements for Vieri

What the hell is Gattuso taking shots from 30 meters out for ??? he can score from 30 feet !!

Derossi should sit...Camo should start !!

Lippis trident failed because Scotland packed the midfield with 5 players, compared to our 3...dont think other teams didnt see that !!!

As much as Lippi said we wouldnt play the longball, thats pretty much what happened. We couldnt string passes together, we had no rhythm (until late in the game), and seemed way off balance. I kept thinking "our guys look like their all playing with just one shoe on their feet ..."

We were DAMN LUCKY to earn a draw.....

we wont always be so lucky !!!

why u so dramatic relax man imo Italy was better than scotland .. the scots were lucky not to lose.. if Gila was there instead of Vieri Italy would have won easly.

and why u reffer to italy as we? youre from the states right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 37)