WC2006 Qual, Oct 13 (1 Viewer)

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
He was actually runner up for rookie of the year his first season. It's just that there are a lot better options in the middle for the National Team. Don't forget about Pope, Berhalter, Mastreoni. Add in Spector, Gibbs, Onyewu and Bocanegra and there isn't a lot of room for him, now or in the future. It's a shame he isn't a right back.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I actually liked Masteoni better in midfield, but now he's sort of fallen off the rader. Cary Zavagnin looks great holding down the midfield. Anybody know how old he is?

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
I like Mastro better in midfield too. He has been off-form and injured so thats why he's fallen off the radar. Still, I never was the biggest Armas fan so I still like him better as a starter. (Although I think ideally when O'Brien is actually healthy, he and Reyna should start as defensive/holding midfielders. Armas does have his value though, he is sort of a poor mans Gattuso and is good for certian situations.)

Zavagnin is about 30.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++
Great win by our boys ( US team) last night.

A young, talented team (Donavan, Johnson, Twellman, Bocanegra,Convey, Howard, Beasley) that could really put on a good performance in 2006, but if they can keep this core together, along with adding Adu in 2010, dare I say that the US could be a world cup contender??:eek:

Don't laugh, its entirely possible.
I agree very possible :thumb: ... but then I compare the USA with Brazil and get depressed again. The Adriano, Kaka, Fabiano ..etc. team is going to do a lot of damage for a long time. So, I don't know about winners, but Finalists is very very possible.

I'm impressed with progress...

PS. Landon Donovan is pure class! :cool: I only started watching the MLS because of him...

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
It isn't really fair to compare anyone to Brazil though is it?

If the US team impressed you at the last World Cup, the '06 team is going to be much, much better. This doesn't mean they will duplicate the success, but on paper they will be far and away a better squad then the 02 team. Veteran depth, great youth, speed, skill, it should be an excellent group.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
The best US prospect at the back may very well be Oguchi Onyewu. Remember that name, He is playing in Belgium now for Standard Liege (I think...any Euro posters ever see him?).

A centre back, he is 22 years old, has great skills, can run and oh yeah - he's 6'4" 205 pounds, a real monster. He might see the field against Jamacia because the game will be moot.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
Yes, apparently he is a starter. According to his profile on their web site, he has played 9 games and started 9 games (although who knows when it was last updated). He has 7 starts in the league and 2 in UEFA Cup, so it seems like he is a starter. He was at Metz a couple of years ago and played well but then he got caught up in a coaching change and fell out of favor.

Anyway, he played late in the game against Panama which was important because he is now cap tied to the US and can't play for Nigeria.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)