WC2006 Qual, Oct 13 (1 Viewer)

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Landon Donovan is tearing it up against Panama. So far he has scored two goals, all while wearing the Captain's armband in place of Reyna. He's stepping it up for us tonight in DC. :touched:
Yes he did....US 6 Panama 0 and the US moves onto the hex with 3 wins and 2 draws in 5 matches. Looks very much like qualifying is likley, with CONCACAFs 3.5 spots out of the six team final group.

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Great win by our boys ( US team) last night.

A young, talented team (Donavan, Johnson, Twellman, Bocanegra,Convey, Howard, Beasley) that could really put on a good performance in 2006, but if they can keep this core together, along with adding Adu in 2010, dare I say that the US could be a world cup contender??:eek:

Don't laugh, its entirely possible.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++

A young, talented team (Donavan, Johnson, Twellman, Bocanegra,Convey, Howard, Beasley) that could really put on a good performance in 2006, but if they can keep this core together, along with adding Adu in 2010, dare I say that the US could be a world cup contender??:eek:
Yes. Don't forget about Gaven, Spector, Onyewu, Gibbs, Stelza, Casey etc. Tons of great young talent waiting in the wings for the US national team in the next couple of years.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++

Don't laugh, its entirely possible.
Even though the competition Panama was not the biggest of opponents, our boys did a fantastic job of working the ball the around; the short quick passes probably could have tore appart England's back four that night. The team chemistry was simply stunning.

This core of youngsters looks amazing to me, something we have never seen in the U.S. It looks like a bright future is in store for us.

And when is Landon going to move to Europe? He needs to go now, because he could become a standout in Europe, not just here in the States.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

And when is Landon going to move to Europe? He needs to go now, because he could become a standout in Europe, not just here in the States.
Bayer Leverkusen still owns Landon, he is only on loan to MLS. Many are speculating he will return after the MLS season. It would be nice if he goes to Europe, but only if he is going to play. If he is going to sit on the bench, he is better off in MLS where he can play regularly.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++

Bayer Leverkusen still owns Landon, he is only on loan to MLS. Many are speculating he will return after the MLS season. It would be nice if he goes to Europe, but only if he is going to play. If he is going to sit on the bench, he is better off in MLS where he can play regularly.

Thats right I forgot about Leverkusen. I hope he doesn't have to go back there, as I don't see that club as a good fit for him. I think Landon would make a good fit in La Liga, so I hope he makes a move there. I thought I heard he speaks Spanish actually....

KB824

Sep 16, 2003

Yes. Don't forget about Gaven, Spector, Onyewu, Gibbs, Stelza, Casey etc. Tons of great young talent waiting in the wings for the US national team in the next couple of years.

The one weakness I see in the US as far as youth is concerned is the backline. With the exception of Bocanegra, I don't see any standout young back-liners in the near future

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
Cory Gibbs and Jonathan Spector are two very good young candidates. Gibbs has played great for Dallas this year and has looked pretty good with the Nats, but was suspended for 2 yellows against Panama. He's 23, has played in Germany before MLS and is big and athletic.

Spector might be the best prospect of them all. He is only 18 and in thE Man U System. He played great last year for their reserves and he is on the first team this year and has been playing a little. He probably won't be ready for this WC, but will be in 2010.

K10

Jul 12, 2002
What's the world coming to? The US are supposedly getting good at footbal (soccer).

I guess it was a matter of time. Nice to see them consider a sport football at last.

Zlatanfan

Oct 12, 2004
Holland beat finland 3-1. Sneijder was playing fabulous game, scored once and was very dangerous. Ruud scored two goals :D

3-1. It wasn't a good match but at least we won :) and that's most important of course

la_dynamite86

Sep 24, 2004
Yeah... I'm glad that Holland won! And it's also good to hear, that Snejder was playing very well, because since Zlatan is gone, Ajax really needs offensive support!!!
Snejder can't really replace him, but he can at least score some important goals.

OP
Elnur_E65

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
  • Thread Starter #55
    ++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++
    What's the world coming to? The US are supposedly getting good at footbal (soccer).

I guess it was a matter of time. Nice to see them consider a sport football at last.
    I expect the US national team to play in the WC finals in the near future.

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatanfan ] ++
    Holland beat finland 3-1. Sneijder was playing fabulous game, scored once and was very dangerous. Ruud scored two goals :D

3-1. It wasn't a good match but at least we won :) and that's most important of course
    yeah, you guys were very lucky indeed... :down: Well, I didn't really expect anything for this game, but we should have got a point from you... Damn, I just hope that they'll finally understand to sack our coach Muurinen!! :(

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Cory Gibbs and Jonathan Spector are two very good young candidates. Gibbs has played great for Dallas this year and has looked pretty good with the Nats, but was suspended for 2 yellows against Panama. He's 23, has played in Germany before MLS and is big and athletic.

Spector might be the best prospect of them all. He is only 18 and in thE Man U System. He played great last year for their reserves and he is on the first team this year and has been playing a little. He probably won't be ready for this WC, but will be in 2010.
    What ever happend to that Garcia kid for the Wizards? I thought he was supposed to become a star a couple years ago.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Spector has made a real impact in the few games he's played with ManU this season thus far, so I agree -- he could really be a key for a future WC squad.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
    Garcia is still around and in KC. I think he's made on apperance this year, but he isn't as highly thought of as he once was. He is kinda small (like 5'10" 160 iirc) to be a top international defender really.

As for Spector, he's great because he has the sort of skills that most Americans (particularly center backs) haven't had. He can dribble out of trouble and things like that. He is only 18 and hasn't played all that much for Man U this year, but I watched him a bit in the preseason and he looked good. Being around the world class players at Man U can only help he is def. in their long terms plans and is probably the most promising prospect for the US at the back. If they didn't plan on getting him playing time with the big club this year, they probably would have just loaned him out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)