[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (56 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I wonder who's gonna make the surprise in the knockouts. No outcome will be surprising in Portugal-Uruguay, France-Argentina, Sweden-Switzerland and (in case Colombia makes it) in Colombia-England/Belgium. This leaves us with 4 matches where an upset can happen.
Russia-Spain, Denmark-Croatia, Mexico-Brasil and Senegal/Japan-ENG/BEL.

I don't see Senegal or Japan beating ENG/BEL. I also believe that Brasil will find a way to get past Mexico. This leaves the Europeans. Russia because they are hosts and Denmark because Croatia are Balkan.
To put into perspective how weird this World Cup is: I think Croatia and Belgium have been the most convincing teams so far. There's a real chance one of those teams is going to win it imo.

Croatia have the upper hand though, because Belgium is winning purely on talent. There's no real gameplan and honestly the mentality of some of our players is poor. Croatia on the other hand is a machine.

So yeah, as odd as it sounds, based on the games we've seen, I think Croatia are the favorites.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Buy on AliExpress.com

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
To put into perspective how weird this World Cup is: I think Croatia and Belgium have been the most convincing teams so far. There's a real chance one of those teams is going to win it imo.

Croatia have the upper hand though, because Belgium is winning purely on talent. There's no real gameplan and honestly the mentality of some of our players is poor. Croatia on the other hand is a machine.

So yeah, as odd as it sounds, based on the games we've seen, I think Croatia are the favorites.

I wish, but not a chance.
To win the WC you need players who are used to winning. Players who win strong championships, players who win or play CL finals year after year. Players who are used to going far with their NTs.
That was Germany in 2014, Spain in 2010, Italy in 2006, Brasil in 2002, France in 1998 and so on.

We are talking about 7 matches, immense pressure. Croatia has only 3 such players in the starting XI (Modric, Rakitic and Mandzukic). On one of these 7 matches things won't go smoothly, a team will defend well against them, a team will score and Croatia will have to chase the result. When that happens, Croatia will need much more than those 3 players. They don't have it.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Belgium hasnt beaten anyone significant yet.
I know. They keep hammering that home over here. But it means fuck all in a World Cup in which Germany is beaten by South Korea and Spain barely survive a group with Iran and Morocco.

I'm not saying we'll go far. There are a lot of factors that say we shouldn't. But truth is I don't see other teams that are much more convincing. Sure. Tunisia is weak. But when the fuck did Iran and South Korea become football superpowers?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
To win the WC you need players who are used to winning. Players who win strong championships, players who win or play CL finals year after year. Players who are used to going far with their NTs.
That was Germany in 2014, Spain in 2010, Italy in 2006, Brasil in 2002, France in 1998 and so on.

We are talking about 7 matches, immense pressure. Croatia has only 3 such players in the starting XI (Modric, Rakitic and Mandzukic). On one of these 7 matches things won't go smoothly, a team will defend well against them, a team will score and Croatia will have to chase the result. When that happens, Croatia will need much more than those 3 players. They don't have it.
Croatia have the experience of 2016 though. I think that will help them this time around.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
I wonder who's gonna make the surprise in the knockouts. No outcome will be surprising in Portugal-Uruguay, France-Argentina, Sweden-Switzerland and (in case Colombia makes it) in Colombia-England/Belgium. This leaves us with 4 matches where an upset can happen.
Russia-Spain, Denmark-Croatia, Mexico-Brasil and Senegal/Japan-ENG/BEL.

I don't see Senegal or Japan beating ENG/BEL. I also believe that Brasil will find a way to get past Mexico. This leaves the Europeans. Russia because they are hosts and Denmark because Croatia are Balkan.
I can see Colombia beat Belgium and they have a more experienced manager at this level(past wc tournaments). Not sure how good or bad England are cant make conclusions after those minnows games.

Spain will trash Russia. First real opponent Russia faces was Uruguay who people said werent convincing in the previous games. Then they trashed Russia. I just cant see this Russia against this experienced Spain win. Also Spain will do better this time to redeem previous disappointments.

The shock already happened and that was Germany.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I can see Colombia beat Belgium and they have a more experienced manager at this level(past wc tournaments). Not sure how good or bad England are cant make conclusions after those minnows games.
But that wouldn't be a surprising outcome. It would hardly be a very remarkable result.

Just a few years ago Colombia was a much better team.

OP
Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
  • Thread Starter #1,788
    I think France will reach finals if not win it.

Also, I wouldn't underestimate Croatia, despite Balkan-style. They aren't shit in the head like we are, and they play very nicely. Balanced team plus brains.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    But that wouldn't be a surprising outcome. It would hardly be a very remarkable result.

Just a few years ago Colombia was a much better team.
    How much trust you have in Martinez/Henry?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I wouldn't underestimate Croatia, despite Balkan-style. They aren't $#@! in the head like we are, and they play very nicely. Balanced team plus brains.
    Spain will beat them in QFs. Croatia have had players like Modric for a decade. What have they achieved on NT level? Nothing. They are pretenders.

Deschamps will lose final again if he gets there.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003

Also, I wouldn't underestimate Croatia, despite Balkan-style. They aren't shit in the head like we are, and they play very nicely. Balanced team plus brains.
    Alen understandably doesn't want to get his hopes up, but Croatia are fine mentally.
    How much trust you have in Martinez/Henry?
    Not too much. Martinez is an average manager at this level (not the best, but definitely not the worst), but a horrible and dishonest person. I just hope things never go sour within our group, because neither the coach nor the players will be adults about it.

They did do one important thing though and that is deciding Lukaku is our no. 1 striker no matter what. It has done wonders for his performances.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004

You have Modric and Rakitic. France in 98 was only dominant against Saudi and Brazil. They had so many joke players starting for them.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    At the very least, the draw and the group results made it sure that an outsider will make the semifinals. The winner of Sweden-Switzerland will play the quarters against Belgium/England-Colombia/Japan/Senegal.
    England are no small team indeed, but nobody expected this England team to reach the semifinals. Belgium ain't no small team either, but a WC semifinal will be huge for them too. No need to say how huge a semifinal will be for the other 5 teams.
    One of these teams will at least get the chance to play for something that seemed unimaginable - a WC final.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
    1998: France win World Cup
    2002: France out in group stage
    2006: Italy win World Cup
    2010: Italy out in group stage
    2010: Spain win World Cup
    2014: Spain out in group stage
    2014: Germany win World Cup
    2018: Germans out
    Amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Germany would've made it through if they had Can instead of Khedira :D

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
    Aug 22, 2007
    I think Mexico has what it takes to beat Brazil unfortunately
    They are normally shit in the knockouts, they'll have to be better than they've been so far to succeed imo. They only impressed against a really shitty Germany.

Not like Brazil was great either, but this is where experience counts.

Of course it's not impossible though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 56)