[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (55 Viewers)

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I know, but there was such an obvious lack of skill and speed that I doubt they can overcome all that by sheer motivation. I admit to not knowing much about Russia's team, but I still expect an easy win. If that's not the case, Russia should be very worried.
Russia never make it past the WC group stage and compared to their teams from past, this is a pretty poor one. I don't think they have much to worry about, they should thank Blatter for being in the WC.

tosh_rose

Aug 21, 2010
We`re only here for the gangbang - Nigeria

Predicted XIs

Russia: Igor Akinfeev; Mario Fernandes, Fedor Kudryashov, Sergey Ignashevich, Yuri Zhirkov; Roman Zobnin, Daler Kuzyaev, Alan Dzagoev, Aleksandr Samedov, Aleksandr Golovin; Fedor Smolov.

Saudi Arabia: Abdullah Al-Mayouf; Usamah Husawi, Omar Hosawi, Yasser Al-Shahrani, Mohammed Al-Barik; Abdullah Otif, Salman Al-Faraj, Yahya Al-Shihri, Taisir Al-Jassim, Salem Al Dosari; Fahad Al-Molad.

Surprised to see Smolov to lead the attack, he is def a better player than Dzyuba, of course, but is a little shorter (Artem is 2 metres tall). I thought a tall target man could be more helpful for the Russians, as the players behind the lone striker are fast, good with the ball, nice shooting, good technique, especially Dzagoev and Golovin, and Smolov is similar to those two imo, he`s a #10 and Artem is a #9.

Still, Russia should win this, I have both Dzagoev and Golovin in my fantasy team, also most of my bets for this game involves them - both to score a goal anytime, combined and mixed with the rest of the games from round 1, Russia to score over 1,5 goals in the game, the game itself to have more than 2,5 goals and a correct score 2:1. Good luck to all of the punters and gamblers, the rest - cheers and enjoy!

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
You know, when I look at that game, there are so many reasons to dislike both teams. Footballwise, politically, even their fucking climates :D.

I'm going to support Russia, because (quite unbelievably) the Saudi FA hired my football coach (I play for an amateur team) as the coach of their national futsal team and completely destroyed my team in the process.

I'm still not sure how the fuck that happened by the way. I play on the 7th level in Belgium ffs.
What do their climates and politics have anything to do with it ? :p

If it makes you feel any better, as someone who watches and knows this Saudi team well i can tell you they will probably lose. They have some quick and skilfull players upfront in Al Mwalid, Al Shehri and Al Dawsari, but they lack consistent end product and do not defend well as a unit. I think Egypt stands a chance with Russia but not Saudi Arabia.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

If it makes you feel any better, as someone who watches and knows this Saudi team well i can tell you they will probably lose. They have some quick and skilfull players upfront in Al Mwalid, Al Shehri and Al Dawsari, but they lack consistent end product and do not defend well as a unit. I think Egypt stands a chance with Russia but not Saudi Arabia.

They don't really, but it's sort of the same reason many people support African teams. They are more likeable. Russia.. well, you just can't like Russia. And the Saudis aren't particularly likeable either.

Weird to see this as an opening game anyway.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007

as someone more or less familiar with Russian footie I'd say Saudi's have strong competition when it comes to losing. 94 - Russia didn't get out of group stage, 98 - Russia didn't get to WC, 02 - Russia didn't get out of group stage, 06 - didn't qualify for WC, 10 - didn't qualify for WC, 14 - didn't get out of group stage.

and this is not a good Russian team compared to the past, I seriously doubt they'd qualify to the WC if they weren't the hosting nation. you'd think they should have a strong team like Poland or Ukraine, but their football is so backwards even Hiddink, Advocaat and Capello didn't manage to do anything

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 55)