[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (4 Viewers)

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
This is Brazils world cup sadly, I don't see who can compete with them bar maybe spain if they get lucky
Brazil lack spine and mojo, wouldn't bet on them, the only reason I'd place them among favorites is Neymar being rested after his injury, but it remains to be seen in what form he is.

France with their bulldozer midfield options seems like a better candidate to me, way more cynical and still enough talent upfront

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Hazard is world class. I don't know how you can possibly conclude anything else. He's been killing it in the Premier League for years now and his last three games for Belgium have been absolutely awe-inspiring. That's the level Messi or Neymar are playing at (but they do this far more consistently than Hazard).

That being said, he is pretty much all our team is built on. We have Carrasco on the left playing a very defensive role. If you ask me, he is bound to fail there at some point, simply because he is used to far more attacking roles. Same goes for KDB who is now playing a defensive mid position, in a two man central midfield! That almost has to go horribly wrong at some point. The reason we play this system is that it allows Martinez to field Hazard, Mertens, KDB, Lukaku and Carrasco all at the same time, but I'm not convinced we have to. Especially because we've got an abundance of world class central midfielders like Dembele or Tielemans sitting on the bench. And even if KDB, Mertens and Carrasco are on the pitch, I still see 100% of our attacks go through Hazard. I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not.
My sacrasm was based on that it was fucking costa rica. Our press always do this. We play friendlies as if they are finals, against either mediocre or average opponents, or good opponents that use the friendly to try stuff and rotate.

any decent team and "play 6 am's that pass it to hazard" will not remotely work

in fact, we'll get pressed down, struggeling to recuperate, and hazard will either fall very deep or be isolated

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
There are some sensationalist reports that Lopetegui could be fired following that Madrid announcement but i think that would be too radical. hard to see it happening.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Brazil lack spine and mojo, wouldn't bet on them, the only reason I'd place them among favorites is Neymar being rested after his injury, but it remains to be seen in what form he is.

France with their bulldozer midfield options seems like a better candidate to me, way more cynical and still enough talent upfront
I'm surprised how many people here underestimate france tbh. Wouldnt be surprised if they went all the way

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
Brazil have more balance about their side this time. Their coach doesnt play all gung-ho attacking style. He's going to deploy a slightly defensive midfield(by Brazil's standards)

Fernandinho-Casemiro-Coutinho

- - - Updated - - -

There's going to be a press conference shortly and apparently its to announce Lopetegui's sacking. Lol surely not.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
My sacrasm was based on that it was fucking costa rica. Our press always do this. We play friendlies as if they are finals, against either mediocre or average opponents, or good opponents that use the friendly to try stuff and rotate.

any decent team and "play 6 am's that pass it to hazard" will not remotely work

in fact, we'll get pressed down, struggeling to recuperate, and hazard will either fall very deep or be isolated
It is difficult to see this kind of tactic end well, I agree.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
There are some sensationalist reports that Lopetegui could be fired following that Madrid announcement but i think that would be too radical. hard to see it happening.
I'd applaud that decision if only for the guts to make such a decision on principle the day before the start of a major tournament.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

Apr 29, 2006
Lopetegui is gone.

Him and Real really fucked this one up. Italy doesn't qualify, Spain 'hold my beer' moment comes soon after. They should fire him imho, just for the sake of keeping some standards.
Recent events in Catalonia are not helping either. I hope Spain poots her boot on RM as a way of mending fences, we'd profit from that greatly.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I thought Inter revealing de Vrij before seasons end was bad, but Real Madrid really took it to another level, didn't expect them to outdo Inter at being assholes :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)