[WC] World Cup 2014 - General Talk Thread (3 Viewers)

the Champs

• Argentina

• Germany

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
The game highlighted the difference between a team with hardly a tactical line, against a well organised unit

We started the game, against i think Lavezzi and Di Maria, with our fullbacks playing insanely high. That immediatly led to 2-3 chances for argentina. After that, they suddenly werent allowed to cross the midline anymore. seriously, what ?

Then there was the central midfield. De Bruyne for some reason had to play very very deep and add to the triangle around messi. Wich was done incredibly amateurish, as Witsel was allways out of position and Fellaini was playing to high, all the time. So Kompany had to step out to cover all that space, wich made it easy for argentina to play trough balls. Every inch of tactical love in my body was getting torn just by seeing that.

Then there was our possession. Argentina deployed 3 lines of defence, so its key to play in the space between them, and as we could see against germany, use those flanks, cause they were always playing very compact. Yet our wingers, were very static and because De Bruyne played so deep, we never really managed to reach them. So then they hoofed it to Lukaku, who is offcourse never gonna win a duel against those two central defenders. To add to that, he had 0 support for the offballs.

it could have been so very much better. Add naingollan in the midfield, start him and defour cause fuck witsel. have de bruyne play as an actual advanced central playmaker. Have both Defour and naingollan controll the space centrally to lock up those messi runs. Play the fullbacks not to high cause Lavezzzi and especially Di Maria are to fast to deal with. Have the wingers keep it wide, but fucking move around when not in possession, seek the space. And when we get the ball, look for the space on the wings, and dare to switch to the other side when not going to quickly

But those things, require a clear tactical guideline , and automatisms for wingers and CAM to get used to, so they can quickly and efficiently pounce when setting up a counter

Especially when longer in possession. one central holding mid, or the cam must allways try to support the winger, to enable a quick switch to the other flank, wich is exactly how you deal with that argentina.

But our coach is a fucking idiot, and they gave him an new contract, so he'll fuck up the euros aswel
What I didn't understand was Belgium putting Fellaini high up the pitch, but then not playing to that. They weren't getting crosses in and they weren't prepared to play long balls, so why put Fellaini high up the pitch?

All they ended up doing was leaving themselves exposed to counter-attacks because they were playing sideways - which is dangerous enough ordinarily - but Belgium were playing sideways while leaving themselves short in midfield because of pushing Fellaini up.

Emptying your midfield and then trying to play in midfield is a remarkably stupid thing to do.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
What I didn't understand was Belgium putting Fellaini high up the pitch, but then not playing to that. They weren't getting crosses in and they weren't prepared to play long balls, so why put Fellaini high up the pitch?

All they ended up doing was leaving themselves exposed to counter-attacks because they were playing sideways - which is dangerous enough ordinarily - but Belgium were playing sideways while leaving themselves short in midfield because of pushing Fellaini up.

Emptying your midfield and then trying to play in midfield is a remarkably stupid thing to do.
We got a remarkably stupid coach. In the first game, we got insanely lucky that algeria, who were totally holding us, decided "hey lets press em", wich led to us getting space on the counter and fellaini scoring a header

Eversince, Wilmots tought that would be the answer.

There isnt a single thing about our games, that doesnt cause mental pain when tactically analysing it.

Rufio

Nov 24, 2012
its time to kick out guardiola and get a proper coach to play some of that 2013 heynckens football
Definitely, Andrew Beckett killing Bayern pace with the tiki-flop.

Butts are hurt, but those butts seem too dark to be European.
You are bearly european balkan.

:lol:

why them? why not Italy?
Spain's failure was harder being the former champions, Azurri just plain sucked.

According to the Castrol indext (best statistical tool around of analytics), the best team of the world cup was :

Neuer
De Vrij, Hummels, Silva, Rojo
Kroos, Oscar, Lahm, Rodriguez
Müller, Robben
Can't believe they named Silva ahead of Medel.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Dont be a strawman. Replacing the least good player by a better one will allways be better.

Look at 2013 bayern who tore apart anything. Compare to 2011 bayeren. They removed any weak spot they had.

But 2013 bayern doesnt got a player that is at the level of Suarez, Ibrahimovic, Messi, Ronaldo
Man, you're all over the place. One sentence you say this, then that. Best tool, but Luiz shit, No good player, but Robben best in the world.

You should make notes of what you have said before, just to be safe.

- - - Updated - - -

According to castrol index:

1 : Kroos
2 : Robben
3 : De Vrij

Oscar is in castrol best team? What did you think of him this WC?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Find it quite amusing how articles are being written praising Germany and Loew now as if they were just unbelievably brilliant throughout the tournament.

Firstly, Loew got things horribly wrong in the first few games. Germany are good enough/the opposition were bad enough that they got away with it, but he didn't have Germany playing at anything like the level they are capable of. I don't like Lahm in midfield, but Bayern can do it because they have other options at fullback. Germany do not have the players at fullback to make Lahm available to play in midfield. And I doubt Loew would have switched Lahm to fullback if there hadn't been injuries to defenders to force the change.

There was also the tactical issue of playing the opening games with too many static ball-players (Goetze, Kroos, Oezil) and a lack of players prepared to move off the ball and stretch the game. The balance of the team looked so much better once Klose came into the team and it's no surprise Schuerrle was able to have an influence as a sub given how well he moves.

Secondly, there is the issue of history already being written to suggest the Germany were masterful through the tournament and that their dominance was never in doubt. Their high defensive line always looked vulnerable and they could easily have lost to Algeria. Then you have Argentina creating more and better chances than Germany did in normal time in the final.

I'm not going to dispute that Germany are a good team or that they were the best team in the tournament, but you can already see people re-writing history based on the fact that Germany won the tournament, rather than focusing on what actually happened going through the World Cup.
Pretty much my thoughts, there were no great teams at this World Cup. There were an awful lot of bad 'big teams' to top it off.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Find it quite amusing how articles are being written praising Germany and Loew now as if they were just unbelievably brilliant throughout the tournament.

Firstly, Loew got things horribly wrong in the first few games. Germany are good enough/the opposition were bad enough that they got away with it, but he didn't have Germany playing at anything like the level they are capable of. I don't like Lahm in midfield, but Bayern can do it because they have other options at fullback. Germany do not have the players at fullback to make Lahm available to play in midfield. And I doubt Loew would have switched Lahm to fullback if there hadn't been injuries to defenders to force the change.

There was also the tactical issue of playing the opening games with too many static ball-players (Goetze, Kroos, Oezil) and a lack of players prepared to move off the ball and stretch the game. The balance of the team looked so much better once Klose came into the team and it's no surprise Schuerrle was able to have an influence as a sub given how well he moves.

Secondly, there is the issue of history already being written to suggest the Germany were masterful through the tournament and that their dominance was never in doubt. Their high defensive line always looked vulnerable and they could easily have lost to Algeria. Then you have Argentina creating more and better chances than Germany did in normal time in the final.

I'm not going to dispute that Germany are a good team or that they were the best team in the tournament, but you can already see people re-writing history based on the fact that Germany won the tournament, rather than focusing on what actually happened going through the World Cup.
:agree:

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Man, you're all over the place. One sentence you say this, then that. Best tool, but Luiz shit, No good player, but Robben best in the world.

You should make notes of what you have said before, just to be safe.

- - - Updated - - -

Oscar is in castrol best team? What did you think of him this WC?
It honestly surprised me.

About Luiz, i dont believe he's shit, pure defensively, he's actually not bad ... when led by a commanding CB. Take that away and he's far from that.
BUT, thats the exact same with bonbon and chiellini if barzagli isnt playing tbh.

And i have said, and keep saying, that Robben was the best player in the world during the world cup.
For me, best player in the world isnt "theoretical highest potential", but who is the best player at a certain time.
In 2003, zidane was the theoretic best, but nedved was the actual best during the year.
Cmon thats simple to understand, no ?

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much my thoughts, there were no great teams at this World Cup. There were an awful lot of bad 'big teams' to top it off.
A germany at half strenght was the only decent team.

a decade of attacking peasant football and what did it bring ? the weakest generation in 50 years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)