[WC] World Cup 2014 - General Talk Thread (6 Viewers)

the Champs

• Argentina

• Germany

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Any team that makes it to four straight semifinals with nothing to show for it is a choker by most definitions, regardless of what impressions were before you got there.
Ok, but I choose to look at it differently. Argentina, for example, went to these 4 world cups with the same expectations as Germany, but very often with better team and were perceived as bigger favs.
You remember 2002 when France and Argentina were considered as the only two teams worthy of winning the WC and every single world famous bookmaker put those two at the top of the favorites for winning the world cup. Argentina were eliminated in the group. The Argie's 2006 team was really good and again they were one of the top 3 favorites for winning the WC. They were eliminated in the quarters. In 2010 Messi and co. were again strong favorites, and again only a quarterfinal. Meanwhile, they won 0 of the last 4 Coppa America (in the 21st century). They played two finals, lost both of them to Brazil, and they failed to win even the one they hosted.
I don't see what makes the Germans bigger chokers than the Argies.

OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8,663
    The Argies even lost the last Copa at home. And agreed that the best quality side in 2006 was probably the Argentinians. So they have a more recent choke history. They just haven't had the consistency at failing at the last step as the Germans have had this century, time and time over.

Germany had the opportunity to take that final step and blew it every time... Argentina often didn't even make it that far. Does that make Argentina the bigger chokers? In some light. But the act of even getting to a semi-final has to raise expectations regardless. You cannot dismiss it as a "pleasant surprise" if it keeps coming like clockwork.

Lion

King of Tuz
    Jan 24, 2007
    except no one tought the germancs could make it far.

ffs in 2006 ther starting striker was an 19 year old guy from the second division. most of their players were not anythign special. same in 2010. no one knew who the fuck ozil or khedira were

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8,670
    except no one tought the germancs could make it far.

ffs in 2006 ther starting striker was an 19 year old guy from the second division. most of their players were not anythign special. same in 2010. no one knew who the fuck ozil or khedira were
    But how often can a team with three stars on their kits who make successive semi-finals get away with the "Oh, we're really not that good" excuse?

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    Match predictions what do you's guy's reckon will happen 2nite
    It's a 50-50, but I'd find a 3:0 for Argentina a shocking result, while a 3:0 for the Germans won't be a surprise.

Argentina are yet to chase a result. They proved that they can defend their goal and irritate the opponent. If Germany fails to take a first half lead, then it won't be surprising if they lose or the match goes to penalties.

It's about Germany taking the lead in the first half/60 minutes or not. If they do, the Argies will leave more space and that will be fatal for them. If the Germans don't score that goal, then Argentina will have the upper hand.

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8,672
    I'm predicting a 1-0 or 2-0 match for Germany. The Argentinians found the formula for keeping the match close for a while by being stingy at the back, which you need at this stage. But they will make mistakes as the match wears on.

I don't see Argentina being that clinical to capitalize on the few German lapses.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    Holland and their unknown players + Robben and van Persie.

(Oh I did forget about that match). But IMO it was not a real test, tonight will be, though.

I won't really mind if Argies win but it's going to be disappointing if a team with such performances won the WC. However, I still believe they need a miracle in order to take down Germans.

Lion

King of Tuz
    Jan 24, 2007
    But how often can a team with three stars on their kits who make successive semi-finals get away with the "Oh, we're really not that good" excuse?
    look at who they lost to though. spain, italy. teams that not only had better players, but legendary players

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8,678
    look at who they lost to though. spain, italy. teams that not only had better players, but legendary players
    Excuses, excuses. What's to say that shouldn't have been them? With their talent, team organization, and pedigree? We'd could just as easily be talking about the German legendary players instead of the likes of Fabio Grosso and Carles Puyol if they managed to win the matches they lost.

Lion

King of Tuz
    Jan 24, 2007
    it's excuses if the went to the match and didnt try to win, which is not what the germans did. they went for the win and lost to teams with legends like canna, buffon, and pirlo, xavi and villa, and legendary coaches like lippi and del bosque.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)