[WC] World Cup 2014 - General Talk Thread (13 Viewers)

the Champs

• Argentina

• Germany

Results are only viewable after voting.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I am almost sure it will be Lichtsteiner who will be following Messi today and it's going to be interesting how he will cope with that. And how Messi will cope with an annoying chap like Stephan,

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Juventino[RUS];4601828 said:
Obviously Messi won't be man marked, it's useless thing to do, if you don't have Gentile in your line-up ofc :lol: oh man what he did with maradona :lol:
Nesta.

I actually think Thuram is also the type of player to man mark an opposition really well.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Manmarking Messi is about the worst thing that happened to the world since Jews.

Messi should be receiving zonal marking, and get locked up in a triangle. Preferably aggressively pressed by the closest cdm.

But actually manmarking a player that drifts 30 meters out of possession is stupid

Mister

Apr 4, 2014
Manmarking Messi is about the worst thing that happened to the world since Jews.

Messi should be receiving zonal marking, and get locked up in a triangle. Preferably aggressively pressed by the closest cdm.

But actually manmarking a player that drifts 30 meters out of possession is stupid
You could possibily do a zonal + man marking system , something like what mourinho does . Assign a player to man mark him in zones and if he drifts away from that zone let him go , other player takes over.

Xabi alonso man marks him if he is close to the midfield and ramos man marks if he is close to the box . At the halfway line he is left alone .

Don't know if this swiss squad can tactically work like that .

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
The Swiss conceded five when they faced the first quality attack. It was six as a matter of fact, but Benz's last second goal wasn't allowed. Their main weakness is the defense, the central backs more precisely. Even their main man there, Djourou, is a walking mistake. He reminds me of those African keepers who'll save a tough one but gift a goal from nothing. Against France and after the early injury of von Bergen, the coach played the worst defender on earth, Senderos. In the third round he took Senderos out and played the fourth choice CB. In any case, having such an unreliable defense is the worst thing that can happen to you when your opponent has perhaps the best choice of attackers in the WC. These guys can't steal a 1:0 or 0:0/1:1 and take this to extra time. With their defense, they'll have to score at least 3. Tough chance. Unfortunately Argentina will proceed to the quarters.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
:agree: - at times it looked as if the Germans had an extra CB there. This could come to haunt him though - success has made him take too many chances back there and it's just a matter of time before he'd F it up.
I remember he used to fuck up those runs/challenges all the time when he was at Schalke. It was bloody hilarious.

He did it perfectly last night though, kudos.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
You could possibily do a zonal + man marking system , something like what mourinho does . Assign a player to man mark him in zones and if he drifts away from that zone let him go , other player takes over.

Xabi alonso man marks him if he is close to the midfield and ramos man marks if he is close to the box . At the halfway line he is left alone .

Don't know if this swiss squad can tactically work like that .
Yeah, thats kinda the system i described.

However, if your markers are Xabi Alonso and Ramos, is clear why real madrid has such difficulties with them.

When you have Dante, Schweinsteiger and javi Martinez, you get a 7up

- - - Updated - - -

Let's hope Shaqiri can upset Argentina tonight.
I'm dissapointed in Di maria so far. This season was his best even at Madrid but at the NT not so much yet.
Di Maria is held back by a puppet coach with total lack of spine.

Messi is basically saying how the tactic has to be, and quite obviously, its dramatic. Yeah, against Nigeria the peasant scum might had the idea that Argentina was improving, but reality is that Nigeria played a very open playstyle, wich you should never ever do against Messi.

unless the swiss make individual mistakes, this could be quite an interesting gayme

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)