[WC] Germany vs Italy [04-07-2006] (2 Viewers)

mnementh

Jun 5, 2005
Stephan said:
then stop dreaming fgs and dream that france beats italy in the final so it wont materalise!!!
Indeed... in the philosophical sense, did you ever consider not to jinx a scenario by imagining it ? If you imagined it to the exact nature, what's the chance of it actually happening? Will it exist both in the imaginary world and in the reality world - rarely one will presume, it's intriguing really :)

in this world cup, anything is possible. u have no idea how badly i want ale to score a vital goal in this world cup, it would be so perfect, it really would, and if he scored it with the scream of tardelli, god it would be so perfect, that nothing will ever take that joy away, and i would die smiling.
don't say it !!!! ;) but Amen.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
i think we should play with the same formation as we did against the ukraine. in the first game against costa rica germany didnt play the offside trap very well, they got caught many times and it didnt seem that their defense was on the same page. i no it was probably first game rust. i think with toni, as fast as he is and as hard as it is to defend him, he could be able to find a seem, and with totti feeding the ball through we will have a good chance. if totti is on his game he can deliever the ball to anyone, anyway.

---------------buffon
---zambo--nesta/materazzi--canna--grosso
---cammo------pirlo---gattuso---perrotta--
----------------------------totti
--------------------toni

ALEX ULTRA

Apr 13, 2006
i would like to know if anyone can give me a website where i can read the world cup history between these two teams,as i know they have played several times before,but i would like to know some detail in the games that they have faced each other....and bellow is what i think the for mation should be ....dp4life

buffon
zamb nesta or mata cana barza(if no nesta)

pirlo gatauso camro

totti

toni dp

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
ALEX ULTRA said:
i would like to know if anyone can give me a website where i can read the world cup history between these two teams,as i know they have played several times before,but i would like to know some detail in the games that they have faced each other
How about the WC Web site? :confused:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/t/h2h/index.html?ta=ITA&tb=GER&cl=all

Overview

Italy (ITA) Germany (GER)
13 Played 13
5 Won 3
5 Drawn 5
3 Lost 5
16 Goals 12

Select more previous matches
Matches Database: ITA : GER All
1-Mar-2006 FLORENCE (Italy) Italy vs. Germany 4:1 (3:0) Friendly 2006
20-Aug-2003 STUTTGART (Germany) Germany vs. Italy 0:1 (0:1) Friendly 2003
19-Jun-1996 MANCHESTER (England) Italy vs. Germany 0:0 UEFA EURO 1996
21-Jun-1995 ZURICH (Switzerland) Germany vs. Italy 2:0 (2:0) Friendly 1995
23-Mar-1994 STUTTGART (Germany) Germany vs. Italy 2:1 (1:1) Friendly 1994
25-Mar-1992 TURIN (Italy) Italy vs. Germany 1:0 (0:0) Friendly 1992
10-Jun-1988 DUSSELDORF (Germany Federal Republic) Germany FR vs. Italy 1:1 (0:0) UEFA EURO 1988
18-Apr-1987 COLOGNE (Germany Federal Republic) Germany FR vs. Italy 0:0 Friendly 1987
5-Feb-1986 AVELLINO (Italy) Italy vs. Germany FR 1:2 (1:1) Friendly 1986
11-Jul-1982 MADRID (Spain) Italy vs. Germany FR 3:1 (0:0) 1982 FIFA World Cup Spain
14-Jun-1978 BUENOS AIRES (Argentina) Germany FR vs. Italy 0:0 1978 FIFA World Cup Argentina
17-Jun-1970 MEXICO CITY (Mexico) Italy vs. Germany FR 4:3 a.e.t (1:1, 1:0) 1970 FIFA World Cup Mexico™
31-May-1962 SANTIAGO DE CHILE (Chile) Germany FR vs. Italy 0:0 1962 FIFA World Cup Chile

OP
Stephan

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
  • Thread Starter #170
    Thats the spirit rino :agree:

Gattuso: Bring on Germany Saturday 1 July, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gennaro Gattuso insists he won’t hold back despite his booking, while Germany could see players suspended after their brawl.

The Milan midfielder is on a yellow card and would miss the Final – or clash for third place – if he picks up another booking on Tuesday.

“I really don’t care,” insisted the little warrior. “I’d be more than happy to sit on the sidelines and watch if it means Italy are in the World Cup Final. The team is the important thing.”

Other Azzurri on a yellow are Fabio Grosso and Gianluca Zambrotta. Daniele De Rossi sits out the last in a four-match ban, while Marco Materazzi returns from suspension for this showdown with the hosts.

However, Germany could well be without Torsten Frings for the semi-final, as he was caught on camera punching Inter’s Julio Cruz in the face during the melee that followed the penalty shoot-out win over Argentina.

Although it’s believed Roma man Leandro Cufre started the brawl by kicking Per Mertesacker, for which he was red-carded, several different players became involved and FIFA’s Disciplinary Committee has begun an inquiry.

Now all of Italy’s outfield players have taken part in this World Cup campaign, as Massimo Oddo made his debut as a substitute in last night’s 3-0 victory over the Ukraine.

“I’ve made my mark in a World Cup, the greatest competition on the planet. This memory shall remain forever,” smiled the Lazio defender.

“My objective is to be ready whenever I am called upon, but obviously when you get to play, it feels all the more important. There are still two games to go and I hope to walk the field again.”
    easy with the cards though :p

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
    Frings maybe suspended? Wow good news for Italy. Frings is a 2-way midfielder who has helped Germany up to this stage. But too bad something went onto his head went he punched Cruz, this really jeopardised Germany's chances as Frings is a crucial player. Even though they have Borowski, he isn't as stable compared to Frings. Good news for Italy.

Jun 1, 2006
    First of all this is the World Cup, it doesn't matter who you play, it's how you play. You have to play with your heart and have the desire to be the best. Everyone has been doubting Italy since the start of this World Cup. From the media trying to exploit the scandal in Italy and claiming it will bother Azzurri players and that we wont do anything in this World Cup. So here we are now with just 2 games left for the trophy. As for our next game against the Germans of course it will be tough. The further you go in any competition the tougher it gets. However the pressure is on Germany to defend their turf and try to inact revenge on their 4-1 loss in Florence. I believe they will be so enthralled with these 2 factors that they will lose focus on the matter at hand. THE AZZURRI!!! I think that Germany will be exposed by the Italians in this game and weaknesses exploited. I take nothing away from Germany and their fans. They have done what you should be doing when your hosting the cup. But it's time for Italy to show the world and the hosts all the fine qualities of Italian Football and keep marching toward the title. Forza Italia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hennes

Sep 3, 2004
    Hey juve-cannavaro!!!

Great article about Canna going into this match!

buzzle.com

Cannavaro Rises to Challenge
    Soccer: World Cup: The imperious Italy captain rises above the sniping and is in the mood to atone for his country's previous World Cup failures. By Amy Lawrence.
    It was Paolo Maldini who nicknamed him 'Canna'. A cane, a reed that bends but will not break. This capacity to resist, however treacherous the tides, has been the Italian captain's hallmark during this World Cup.
    Fabio Cannavaro's captaincy was on the line before a ball had been intercepted. A few careless remarks during the maelstrom of the scandal swirling around Juventus, his club back home, prompted a debate about his suitability to lead Italy into this tournament Canna, as usual, resisted. He did not even bend, never mind come close to breaking.
    The diatribes are long forgotten now. Cannavaro has been the most accomplished defender at this World Cup. He has been the only permanent member of Italy's ever-changing back line. He has been imperious. Rigorous. Absolutely in charge. Standing tall at 5ft 9in, he is dwarfed by just about every other centre-half in Germany, yet he has risen serenely above them all, seemingly without a bead of sweat.
    Now he is 90 minutes away from an extraordinary footballing achievement. If he can lead his team through their semi-final against Germany, he will stride into the World Cup final on the occasion of his 100th cap. Cannavaro will become the third Italian to reach that milestone, following the example of two former captains of distinction, Dino Zoff and Paolo Maldini. The idea of it is enough to make him blush, as he did when he first represented Italy nearly a decade ago.
    He is a typical Neapolitan. The combination of bright blue eyes and dark hair is a giveaway. Spiritually, he is the classic combination of smart, impassioned, proud and a family man. His wife is not the usual Wag model favoured by modern footballers, but a more ordinary, homely, Italian-mamma style. Fans love him even more for that. Good old Canna. Rock-solid guy. 'If there is a model footballer who is loyal, correct and good, that's Cannavaro,' says Italy coach Marcello Lippi.
    As a youngster, he observed and learnt from, and eventually succeeded, Ciro Ferrara, a monument at the back of his boyhood club, Napoli (Ferrara is now Lippi's assistant with the Azzurri). Cesare Maldini rewarded the young Cannavaro with a call-up to the under-21s and people who watched those early performances walked away thinking that here is the man who will be the number-one defender in Italy. Their instincts were not wrong.
    He was soon on his way from Napoli to Parma, where he developed a career-strong rapport with the goalkeeper, Gianluigi Buffon. The quest for the honours he craved was barely sated in seven years with Parma, though, so he moved to one of the superpowers in 2002. But Internazionale's sad trophy cabinet struggles to retain the interest of prize-hungry players for long, so when Juventus began sniffing around, Cannavaro did not need much persuading to encourage a transfer. The Gazzetta dello Sport reported that he took a wage cut of €1m (about £690,000) a year, so keen was he to become a winner.
    Cannavaro has won two Scudetti with Juventus. 'I have gone from being considered a player whose career was finished to a player of steel,' he says. 'Juve have allowed me to show my worth, it has provided me with a challenge that has motivated me.' The legitimacy of those Scudetti is one of the factors that will be decided by the Moggipoli corruption investigation and there is every chance Juventus will be stripped of them around the time of the World Cup final a week today.
    Would Cannavaro be among those players who will seek to move on if Juve are further punished by relegation? More likely he would be among the last to jump ship. But there would be no shortage of interested parties in the 32-year-old. His performances have been defensively flawless.
    He is a phenomenon. This vertically challenged defender can jump as high as striker Luca Toni, who is a shade over 6ft 4in. What Cannavaro lacks in height, he makes up for in anticipation, positioning, concentration and an explosive leap.
    His philosophy? 'I've always been strong physically and I think for a player what happens off the field is even more important,' he says. 'I don't drink or smoke. I eat well, get plenty of sleep and, when the mood takes, sex is good, too.'
    His leadership qualities have helped to steady a squad assailed by off-the-pitch turmoil. Although he was caught out speaking out of turn when he expressed support for Luciano Moggi, the wheeler-dealer at the heart of the scandal, he was quick to defend himself and squash the issue before it got out of hand.
    'What bothered me the most in these last few weeks was being misinterpreted at that press conference,' he says. 'I never defended Moggi. I said that whoever had made a mistake should pay for it. To a question about him I said he did his job as general manager well. He always behaved in the right way with the team. If I said the opposite I would have been a hypocrite.'
    In the build-up to the World Cup, Cannavaro's house was searched by tax police as part of the investigations and he had to return home to answer some questions for the magistrates. But as Italy's World Cup mission began to unfold, the nature of their off-field distractions changed dramatically when former team-mate Gianluca Pessotto was found outside Juventus's offices having fallen from a top-floor window. The Italian tricolore decorated with the message 'Pessottino we are with you', hoisted at the end of the quarter-final in Hamburg, was Cannavaro's idea.
    Focus and solidity have provided a vital platform for Italy, especially considering they have not been the most prolific team until Toni finally got the measure of World Cup football, enabling the Azzurri to dispatch Ukraine with an air of conviction in Friday night's quarter-final.
    By then, Cannavaro was on his third partner at the heart of the back line, but there is encouraging news about Alessandro Nesta's injury and the Milan stopper hopes to recover fully in time for the semi-final on Tuesday. Cannavaro and Nesta have a well developed understanding. Together they intercept, disturb, pick pockets. They understand each other's moves. The newly enthusiastic Germans have not yet faced a hurdle as obdurate.
    Cannavaro is determined to banish international disappointments that include premature exits from the 2002 World Cup and 2004 European Championship. 'For many of us this will be the last opportunity to do well in a World Cup,' he says. 'We've come this far and believe in our abilities, so we can dream of reaching the final. Now that Nesta and [Marco] Materazzi will return to the fold, we'll be stronger than ever.'
    Earlier in the competition, when Italy stumbled during the group phase, a German newspaper made a joke about emotional reactions to the team's progress back in Italy by depicting the famous image of a tooting car whizzing through the streets with a flag flying out of the window - a white flag.
    Canna would countenance no such thing.

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
    The thing that worries me the most will be the refferee,will the chosen refferee have a spine & not give all the 50/50 challenges Germany's way?Will he stand firm & not be influenced by the German crowd?

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
    Feb 12, 2006
    swag said:
    My two favorite teams in the tournament, so yes. :agree:

(But I have to give the Portugal NT my support in the final...sorry.)

no offense but i want portugal out, they are the pettiest divers of this tournament so far, and figo especially does my head in, and at times, portugal have seriously bored me, if italy do play portugal (god forbid) i wud love to see rino gattuso give ronaldo the tackle of his life, cuz he deserves it, and the same to figo, only portugese players i like is miguel and simao.
    and i dont see how scolari has got this far playing no strikers and just wingers for most of the time.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Totti: We can lift the trophy Sunday 2 July, 2006
    Francesco Totti, Fabio Grosso and Luca Toni all warn the Azzurri are ready to go all the way and lift the World Cup.

“Now we have a very important semi-final, but as far as I can see we’re only a small step away from going all the way to the objective we’d set ourselves before the tournament,” said the Roma star.

“It’s pointless denying it or hiding away: we want to win the World Cup. We have always believed in our chances and none of us are going to stop now, starting from myself. This is going to be one of those exciting, emotional games that every player dreams of taking part in. We have the chance to make that dream come true.”

The 3-0 victory over the Ukraine opened the doors to an intriguing semi-final against hosts Germany in Dortmund.

“Germany are a tough, difficult and organised side, but if you asked me if I wanted another side, then I’d say no. I’m happy to take on the Germans. Besides, we'd love to win for all the Italian ex-pats who live and work in Germany.”

Totti’s form has been in the balance after three months out with a fractured ankle and he thanked Coach Marcello Lippi for leaving him on the bench for most of the Australia match.

“After a lot of hard work, I am finally back to my old self. I’ve started doing my tricks again and hope to keep improving all the way. I must thank Lippi, as until the second round I had been playing a lot and the rest did me good.”

Totti isn’t the only Italy player whose confidence is growing as they enter the final four in the World Cup.

“We want to go straight to the Final,” added Grosso. “We are among the four strongest teams in the sport and now is where it gets interesting. We don’t want to stop now, as we had a tough start, but remain united and solid.”

Fiorentina striker Toni finally broke his goal duck with two goals in the quarter-final and is eager to keep going.

“At a certain stage, I began to wonder if I’d end this World Cup without scoring. Now that I’ve broken through and everyone keeps reminding me of Paolo Rossi’s 1982 tournament, perhaps I won’t stop now. We can hope.”

Pablito was the subject of a great deal of criticism in the early games, but went on to score decisive goals in the final three matches of the competition to lift the trophy. However, Toni took the opportunity to hit back at some of his own critics.

“It’s too easy now to come here and praise me. I felt the lack of confidence around me and I was picked on by the media and fans.”

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Germans fear Lippi's boys Sunday 2 July, 2006
    It’s an all-European final four and Germany’s Oliver Bierhoff and Rudi Voller admit they’re worried at the prospect of facing Italy.

“If they play the way they can, the Azzurri really are frightening,” confessed former Milan, Udinese and Ascoli star Bierhoff. He is now the assistant manager to German boss Jurgen Klinsmann and advised how to take on the Italians.

“The only way to beat them is to really attack them from the start,” he told newspaper 'Frankfurter Allgemeine’ ahead of Tuesday’s semi-final in Dortmund.

Another ex-Serie A star, both as a player and Coach, is former Roma tactician Rudi Voller. He was called in by 'Bild’ to explain the Italian way.

“Gianluigi Buffon is insurmountable. Luca Toni is not just the man who scored 31 goals for Fiorentina this season, but is also a powerful physical figure upfront. As for Francesco Totti, watch out for his sheer class. This player has recovered from a serious injury and is quickly recapturing his form,” noted Voller.

Even the German captain Michael Ballack, who had been linked with Inter before choosing a record-breaking contract with Chelsea, conceded his concern. “I am worried about the way Italy play and how to break them down,” he told 'Bild’.

“And now we find Toni-goal in the semi-final,” warned 'Bild’ in their editorial. “These are the opponents who have always made us quake! We really wanted to avoid the Azzurri, as we’ve never won against them in a World Cup. They have Toni and Totti backed by a wall.”

Meanwhile, the simmering tension between the Azzurri camp and newspaper 'Der Spiegel’ seems to be subsiding. This week the editorial called Italian males 'parasites, Mamma’s boys and slimy’, prompting Gennaro Gattuso to claim: “Either he was beaten up by an Italian as a child or his wife is cheating on him with an Italian Stallion.”

This morning’s edition contained a measured response from vice-director Ruediger Ditz. “I can understand Gattuso’s angry reaction. Those who shell it out must be prepared to take it in return.”

Meanwhile, the more superstitious among the Italians are already looking to the fact only European teams are left in the semi-finals – just like in 1982. Back then Italy saw off Poland and Germany beat France before the Azzurri lifted the World Cup trophy in Madrid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)