Was Juve suspected ever in Europe? (1 Viewer)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
I was reading through an article in Daily Telegraph. I found this paragraph which puzzled me about the participation of Juve in European championships since decades:

Greaves was particularly enraged, pointing the finger of suspicion at the officials, but as Scovell observes: “It was impossible to assemble any proof’’. He adds with typical wryness that “in the early days of the European Cup, referees were given handsome gifts to commemorate their selection for major matches. Real Madrid, Benfica and the Italian clubs, AC Milan and Juventus were renowned for this practice’’.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...revisits-more-European-woe-for-Tottenham.html
Did you hear of such a thing?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Yup.

The main accusation I'm aware of was made by Brian Clough, after a European Cup semi-final in the early '70s between Juve and Derby.

Leeds still believe Milan fixed a European Cup Winners Cup Final against them in 1973.

Liverpool claim Inter bribed the ref in a European Cup semi-final in the 60's.

Funnily enough, these accusations were only made when English clubs lost. If an English team won everything was, of course, assumed to have been fairly done, despite Leeds, for instance, being heavily suspected of buying/trying to buy domestic games.

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
Aug 25, 2006
Yup.

The main accusation I'm aware of was made by Brian Clough, after a European Cup semi-final in the early '70s between Juve and Derby.

Leeds still believe Milan fixed a European Cup Winners Cup Final against them in 1973.

Liverpool claim Inter bribed the ref in a European Cup semi-final in the 60's.

Funnily enough, these accusations were only made when English clubs lost. If an English team won everything was, of course, assumed to have been fairly done, despite Leeds, for instance, being heavily suspected of buying/trying to buy domestic games.
:disagree: Ah, these whinging sassanachs!:p :D

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
Aug 25, 2006
Well the English were always calling us whinging Scots whenever we complained about anything, so I just had to put my tuppence worth in! :D

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
I was reading through an article in Daily Telegraph. I found this paragraph which puzzled me about the participation of Juve in European championships since decades:

Did you hear of such a thing?
Its all nonsense

I think Red hit it right on the bulls eye

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
Juve players were suspected to have been using unallowed supstances that made them stronger, fitter and more durable during the 1995/96 UEFA CL campaign (which we won) but I'm sure everybody is aware of what I'm talking about. One of the main culprits was famous Dr. Agriccola.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Brian Clough was a man who knew a thing or two about bribery.

I'm pretty sure a lot of underhand things still go on all around Europe, but in those days all sorts would have gone on, you can't pin it down to a club or individual, it's just how thing were.

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
Aug 25, 2006
:lol:

I never knew you were Scottish.
:agree: And have lived in Scotland since the day I was born!

I believe it came from the Gaelic for 'Saxon'.
:agree:

Isn't it Seasanach in the Scottish gaelic?
Sassanigí!!!
sassanach english

1. Sassanach

Word used in the English spoken in Scotland, which is directly from the Scottish(Gaelic) language. Sassanach literally meaning Saxon. This originally meant an Englishman. Then as Scottish(Gaelic) lost it's footing as the majority language of Scotland(geographically and 'de facto'), Scottish(Gaelic) speakers used the word to describe anyone who spoke any Anglian based language(i.e. the English language as spoken in England, Hiberno-English, Scoto-English/Lallans/('Scots') e.t.c) Nowadays, it has become common in Scoto-English/Lallans ('Scots'), and is used to refer to English people. Although not explicitly derogatory, some people (notably the English) consider it to be so.

Example: -
Na Sassanaich! Sassanach! Ach, yet more Sassanaich settling in our country!

2. sassanach

Comes from the Irish word for English. Has been Anglicised to refer to English people in a negative way.

pronounced sas-an-ok
I'm sick of those Sassanach b*stards, they should get out of our land!

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)