Was it a smart move or not? (1 Viewer)

lestat_1987

Aug 31, 2005
Juventus director general Luciano Moggi admits they wouldn't have been able to afford Patrick Vieira without offloading two of their midfielders in the summer.
Reflecting on the deal to land the former Arsenal captain, Moggi revealed: "Juve originally could not make this operation happen as we did not have financial cover.

"We had to find the cash to give to Arsenal. Our decision was to sell Appiah to Turkey for £6 million. Then we have placed Maresca in Spain and from both deals we raised the money for Vieira.

"I remember the decisive trip to London. We left for England excited by what we were about to do."

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
It was worth it.

Enzo sadly would never reach the standard Viera is, and Viera will bring top class football for about 3-4 more years.

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
This is the same as Appiah. Alot of forum members had delussions about him being a massive star. Usually a player peaks around 26-28, and him being 24 (if i recall correctly) and playing like he did, he sure had a hell of a lot of work to do, as he had no realistic problems like Henry who was played out of position. Espacially after working with two of the worlds arguably best coaches (even though Capello didnt give him so much of a chance, until the second half of the season- even though he played well for his standards, he was still very average on the grand scale of things), if he had the potential to be a big star he would of shown more signs, as far as I know he didnt have management problems or any other outside circumstances.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
why would he keep blasi infront ?

i just want to remind ppl here of one thing, appiah played at RB when lippi was coaching and he choked.
Blasi is playing at RB and doing well

Ascension

Sep 16, 2005
Of course it was a smart move. Last season we lacked a great partner for Emerson in midfield. And now we got one of the best players in the world and probably one of the very best at his position. We can thank the club for this fantastic move.

After only 8 games this season Vieira is already coming up with great performances. Just wait and see when he is 100% integrated and gelled into the team.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
It is definitely a smart move becos all the parties involved benefited.

Let's start with Vieira.
Ever since he came to Turin, he has shown his class and has greatly contributed to Juventus. He definitely has a part to contribute in our 8 straight wins in both the CL and Serie A, including Inter. He has already won the appreciation of many fans. Arsenal is already missing his presence, so this shows that he is really an important figure.

Appiah has flourished in Fenerbahce. In Juve he has been played out of position of all times where his antural position is an attacking midfielder, the role which made him the hero of Ghana. Which also exlpains y his performances in Juve is so mediocre. In his last game against Cagliari, he can actually dribble past 2 defenders and score. This is the real Appiah. Since he is alreasdy happy in Fenerbahce and maintains good realtionships with the players, this deal is a good deal

Maresca has been played at the right position in Sevilla. And he's happy in there. So everybody benefited

Hell I'm typing this after I had a real argument with my family. I wonder how am I still able to type all this out calmly.

Aug 26, 2003
Eventhough i miss players like Appiah and Maresca, I am very happy that we got Vieira who is undoubtly one of the best in the world and together with Emo forming the best Midlefield duo!

so thx for this Moggi, Vieira could be the player that we missed to win the CL.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Hell yeah it was a smart move. We offloaded a couple of midfield talents in order to bring one of the best players in the world to Turin. Patrick has already established himself as a key player for Juve and is consistently getting the job done at both ends of the pitch.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
By trading away Maresca and Appiah, we got a player who was about as good as the two of them combined -- and astronomically more capable of bringing us closer to a CL win than any of the others.

When Vieira is near the ball, you see it -- good things happen. I couldn't always say that about either Enzo or Appiah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)