WAHAHAHA!! Aliens!!!! (1 Viewer)

Naggar

Bianconero
Sep 4, 2007
The problem is that at a certain point the book does limit scientific research if you have to take it literally. I know you believe it wasn't written by Muhammad himself, but to be honest there are several things in there that do imply that the book was written in that timeperiod by someone who was influenced by his peers. You can see traces of what science was back then and there are several theories in the book that have later been proven wrong.

This makes the Quran a historic document and as such it is very prone to scientific error. I think this is the point where I fundamentally disagree with the vast majority of muslims today, who will say that the Quran is 100% correct.
I know you are not going to want to hear this, but I think that's what the true strength of the book was in the beginning: it tried to offer an explanation for certain things and it used a fairly scientific approach in doing so.

This is not an attack on the core ideas of the book or anything, those are ideas that have virtually nothing to do with science.
Muhammad was an illetrate, he couldn't have came up with all the info in it, I think God's wisdom in making his last prophet an illetrate is that no one says Muhammad came up with it
how would a shepherd like Muhammad know that all livings came from water or how men and earth were created or the earth orbits the sun...? all that
and he wasn't even a poet but the book "in Arabic" is a miracle to poets

well for the last 1400 years people doubted the book for reasons like yours "incorrect scientific facts", such as how it says the sun WILL become spherical in shape on judgement day, and all people said it's spherical already then that was proven wrong 2 years ago
its reason like that that make me believe really

Islam didn't give mathematical laws or chemical equations, but it stated things as facts and later through science they were proved, I'm not telling you to believe in the book like an idiot without thinking, thats the last think Quran wants a muslim to do
it says read and gain knowledge then you'll see its greatness
and in Islam a person who does the basic 5 pillars of Islam and works hard in his field, is a lot better and closer to God than a person who prays all day long
is this an anti-science religion?

I highly disagree with a religious person "from any religion" who gives you words to believe and thats it, you can't ask questions and if you don't believe then you burn in hell
that's just stupid, if you can't find reasons for everything you believe in then you're less usefull than a wall

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Muhammad was an illetrate, he couldn't have came up with all the info in it, I think God's wisdom in making his last prophet an illetrate is that no one says Muhammad came up with it
how would a shepherd like Muhammad know that all livings came from water or how men and earth were created or the earth orbits the sun...? all that
and he wasn't even a poet but the book "in Arabic" is a miracle to poets
But Muhammad was exactly that: illiterate. What if he wasn't able to reproduce the exact words correctly? And then even after that, someone might have made a mistake in copying the book. There are a couple of reasons to assume that the Quran now is probably not exactly like the first Quran. I know it's not like the Bible, but still, it's likely that there have been some minor changes.

By the way: that all living beings come from water and stuff like that had been a popular theory for ages by then. Even some illiterates probably knew about this.

Naggar

Bianconero
Sep 4, 2007
back then before humans got used to writing, copying and saving books, a human had a much much better ability to memorize knowledge, well and its lost nowadays
like the kids in school now they can't do a simple 7x6 without a calculator, but in my days we had to answer in less than 3 seconds or get detention :D

so I mean Muhammad and people around him memorized it and after his death it was written down, just like all the poetry from 100 years before Islam, nothing in it changed

well nothing in history said that Muhammad knew anything about science, not even the basic facts, he was an orphan who grew up known by honesty and was very popular among the people until God started sending verses to him, most people turned against him and called him a liar, after making him the most honest man in Arabia for 40 years they called him a crazy liar

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
To IZ:
this is an interesting point I found in Quran that also supports evolution:
There's an even better one about Allah creating man in stages

off-topic Q: what are you studying by the way? -assuming you're in college

Well I can't really agree that one should choose between logical scientific thinking and believing, I think they complete each other

I highly agree with this part, the more knowledge I gained, the more I believed, not the other way around
I'm studying international politics.

I think by definition faith and logic are opposing ideals.

The more I read the more I realise that all religion are a fraudulent means of subjogating the regular members of society, such that elites can prosper.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
back then before humans got used to writing, copying and saving books, a human had a much much better ability to memorize knowledge, well and its lost nowadays
like the kids in school now they can't do a simple 7x6 without a calculator, but in my days we had to answer in less than 3 seconds or get detention :D

so I mean Muhammad and people around him memorized it and after his death it was written down, just like all the poetry from 100 years before Islam, nothing in it changed

well nothing in history said that Muhammad knew anything about science, not even the basic facts, he was an orphan who grew up known by honesty and was very popular among the people until God started sending verses to him, most people turned against him and called him a liar, after making him the most honest man in Arabia for 40 years they called him a crazy liar
Does that really sound likely? When books are copied by hand, someone at some point will make a mistake.

But if I were a muslim, I'd consider this a very good thing. Because that would mean that the Quran leaves room for modern day science. You can't say the book is 100% correct, because clearly it isn't, but you could argue that it is 99% correct.

I know history says Muhammad knew nothing about science, but it was a very well spread theory and furthermore it's something that anyone can come up with. You see animals drinking water, you think about it for a couple of seconds and there you go.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
There's an even better one about Allah creating man in stages

I'm studying international politics.

I think by definition faith and logic are opposing ideals.

The more I read the more I realise that all religion are a fraudulent means of subjogating the regular members of society, such that elites can prosper.
And then there's temporal lobe epilepsy too..

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
The Bible was decided upon by a tyranical roman ruler and excluded upwards of 200 gospels, the same might well be true for Islam, in fact there's a 99% probability that it is.

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
To answer the first question being asked in this thread. No, the existence of aliens doesn't disprove anything that has to do with religion. Religious books didn't mention anything about the theory of relativity; I guess we should have burned them all a long time ago. And no, you aren't supposed to take these books literally word for word.

Now even though I'm not really against the idea of burning all religious books as I don't think they've done the world much good.; I think honesty is important. None of this really hurts religion or religious people in any way. Unless ofcourse you're one of those special people who believe that a man lived inside a big fish and another dude split the ocean in two.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
The Bible was decided upon by a tyranical roman ruler and excluded upwards of 200 gospels, the same might well be true for Islam, in fact there's a 99% probability that it is.
I think it's more like 20-25 gospels. And in fairness, Constantine didn't actually decide what got in, he just demanded that the various bishops agree on one reasonably consistent bible so he could have an official line for the state religion.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Common geniuses, Islam is a younger religion than Christianity. If there were any councils to decide the fate of the Qur'an at any point then tell us when, where, why, and how?

This "could have happened"..."probably happened"...are not facts.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Common geniuses, Islam is a younger religion than Christianity. If there were any councils to decide the fate of the Qur'an at any point then tell us when, where, why, and how?

This "could have happened"..."probably happened"...are not facts.
You honestly think that not a single letter was altered when you compare your Quran to the first one ever made?

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Ze, do you believe that the Qur'an is 100% true and all other religions are wrong?
Depends on what you mean by "wrong". That teachings and the practices of their followers today are wrong? Yes. That the original words of the Torah and the Bible are wrong? No.

I believe Judaism and Christianity were the word of God sent down for different time periods for different people. Islam is considered the last word of God, the last and complete religion (no other religion or book is to follow).

You honestly think that not a single letter was altered when you compare your Quran to the first one ever made?
We've been over this already.

Now tell me whether I say yes or no, what difference does it make to your argument? Even if we can both agree that it hasn't been changed, you're still going to deny it without giving it a chance.

The only arguments you have and keep recycling are related to politics, education, and how long it's been since the book was written. Very rarely do you argue the actual contents of the book and when you do (as you did yesterday) you can't quote me anything.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
We've been over this already.

Now tell me whether I say yes or no, what difference does it make to your argument? Even if we can both agree that it hasn't been changed, you're still going to deny it without giving it a chance.

The only arguments you have and keep recycling are related to politics, education, and how long it's been since the book was written. Very rarely do you argue the actual contents of the book and when you do (as you did yesterday) you can't quote me anything.
I don't think you understand my point. My idea is that you the Quran and modern day science would in fact be compatible if, somehow, there would be small errors (this means humans made the book imperfect) in the book. If we acknowledge these errors, we can use both science and the Quran. If you say there are no errors in the book, there's no use for the book IMO, because it will not be able to face modern day science.

Now my point is that there have to be mistakes in the thing. Otherwise you're giving people divine powers. If you have thousands of people copying a book by hand for a thousand years, there will be mistakes. But remember, this is a good thing, because now you can be a scientist and a muslim.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
I don't think you understand my point. My idea is that you the Quran and modern day science would in fact be compatible if, somehow, there would be small errors (this means humans made the book imperfect) in the book. If we acknowledge these errors, we can use both science and the Quran. If you say there are no errors in the book, there's no use for the book IMO, because it will not be able to face modern day science.

Now my point is that there have to be mistakes in the thing. Otherwise you're giving people divine powers. If you have thousands of people copying a book by hand for a thousand years, there will be mistakes. But remember, this is a good thing, because now you can be a scientist and a muslim.
Science proves God and supports the Qur'an. Unlike Christianity, our "church" never argued that the world is flat or that the sun revolves around earth. It never claimed that the earth is only 6k years old. It didn't imprison scientists.

This whole "compatibility" thing therefore doesn't make sense to me because there is no conflict.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Science proves God and supports the Qur'an. Unlike Christianity, our "church" never argued that the world is flat or that the sun revolves around earth. It never claimed that the earth is only 6k years old. It didn't imprison scientists.

This whole "compatibility" thing therefore doesn't make sense to me because there is no conflict.
Wait, did I miss recent developments?

As for the quran not saying that the world is flat.. interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)