Vieri and Cassano to Old Trafford? (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Planetfootball

United look at Italian duo

MANCHESTER UNITED have turned to Serie A for summer reinforcements after missing out on top target Ronaldinho, with Antonio Cassano and Christian Vieri linked with moves to Old Trafford.
After the Brazilian ace plumped for Barcelona, United were immediately mooted as contenders to sign Damien Duff and Kieron Dyer as they seek a big-name acquisition.

The Red Devils, though, ruled out hijacking Chelsea's successful attempt to sign Duff while Sir Alex Ferguson refuted suggestions he was chasing Newcastle United midfielder Dyer.

Internazionale's prolific striker Vieri is rumoured to have been the subject of a €30 million (£21 million) offer from the Premiership champions.

The Nerazzurri swiftly rejected the offer for a player who has stated his determination to stay at Giuseppe Meazza after also being a target for big-spending Chelsea.

United's alleged bid for Vieri would seem strange as, despite the Italian's undoubted ability, Ferguson is chasing a link man, rather than a direct partner for leading scorer Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Italian youngster Cassano has also emerged as a potential arrival at Old Trafford ahead of the new season with United long-term admirers of the schemer.

The 21-year-old was watched on several occasions by United scouts while he was at Bari before he sealed a switch to Roma in the summer of 2001.

His time at Stadio Olimpico has proved turbulent but Roma supremo Franco Sensi is adamant Cassano will not be leaving the Eternal City.

Cassano, though, would fit the prototype of player Ferguson is scouring to provide further ammunition for van Nistelrooy but United's efforts look doomed to failure.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I can't see Vieri leaving Inter any time soon and Roma paid way too much money for Cassano to just let him go like that.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
you have got to love the way Man Utd go for certain players. they just about link themselves with every star possible thinking that everyone would want to join them.

its freaking joke at times.

Vieri and Cassano will not leave their clubs, let alone italy. Vieri already had his time away from Italy where he destroyed the Spanish league, he wont go to england.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Talking about manchester..

they have just smashed some minutes ago , Celtic 4-0

vanistelrroy did all what he wanted.

the celtic defense is very poor.

maxmc

Jul 27, 2002
they're searching for a new quality player after they let beckham move to real...
i think it was a big mistake by them to sell beckham as they didn't even got that much money...
real are believed to sell so much jerseys of him that he has come practically for free...

the cassano deal is possible as he had always problems with the team, especially with capello...
he's a good player, but i'm glad he didn't joined juve as he's a trouble-maker...
but i believe he'll stay too...

BTW i'll be watching roma today (playing against local team LASK - the first team i supported when i was very very young, who celebrate their 95th birthday - lask has also black-white jerseys...)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Yeah, Cassano to Man U is a real possibility because of Roma's financial problems, but do United really need a striker cause they've got Ole Gunner Solskjaer, Ryan Giggs, David Bellion, Paul Scholes and Ruud van Nistelrooy who can play upfront. They also have some Djemba Djemba guy, is he a striker as well?

PS. Solskjaer played on the right wing in Man U's 4-0 win against Celtic and he was very good so maybe the Red Devils have already found a replacement for Becks.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++
Yeah, Cassano to Man U is a real possibility because of Roma's financial problems, but do United really need a striker cause they've got Ole Gunner Solskjaer, Ryan Giggs, David Bellion, Paul Scholes and Ruud van Nistelrooy who can play upfront. They also have some Djemba Djemba guy, is he a striker as well?

PS. Solskjaer played on the right wing in Man U's 4-0 win against Celtic and he was very good so maybe the Red Devils have already found a replacement for Becks.

They've got van Nistelrooy, Solskjaer and Forlan as out-and-out strikers, with Scholes to play behind them. Giggs is a left-winger, except when Ferguson tries to experiment. Djemba-Djemba is a defensive midfielder.

The thing is, while Forlan has become very popular with the fans as he seems a very plucky and determined player, he's not been particluarly good. He started his Manchester career with a dry spell of about 30 games without scoring, and is now considered to be far from assured of staying at the club.

Scholes spent most of his career in midfield (admittedly, playing very far forward), and still hasn't convinced as a secunda punta.

Solskjaer is a very good striker, but is needed on the right wing until a new player is signed there, and is generally considered more effective off the bench anyway.

So, yes, Man U are probably in the market for a striker.

++ [ originally posted by Adrian ] ++
you have got to love the way Man Utd go for certain players. they just about link themselves with every star possible thinking that everyone would want to join them.

its freaking joke at times.

Vieri and Cassano will not leave their clubs, let alone italy. Vieri already had his time away from Italy where he destroyed the Spanish league, he wont go to england.
Man U aren't exactly responsible for the transfer gossip they're involved in. In fact, they usually deny interest in any player they're linked to.

As for thinking that they've got the pulling power to get big names... well, they do. Kind of. England's not a glamourous place to go to, especially for South Americans, and the weather's much worse there than in say Italy. Other than that, they've got as much polling power as your Juve's and A.C. Milans, and more money at that.

And you can confidently state that Roma won't sell Cassano, when they're in so much financial trouble? Loan me your crystal ball sometime please... I'd like to take it to the bookies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)