Useless facts thread (21 Viewers)

Apr 12, 2004
I think it's " more clever " if the word is to be used in that sense . I don't think I can remember a time where I've heard someone say "cleverer" . I could be wrong though .
Still sounds funny as cleverer.
But it's a word...

clever |ˈklevər|
adjective ( cleverer , cleverest )
quick to understand, learn, and devise or apply ideas; intelligent : a clever and studious young woman | how clever of him to think of this!
• skilled at doing or achieving something; talented : he was clever at getting what he wanted | she is clever with her hands.
• (of a thing, action, or idea) showing intelligence or skill; ingenious : a simple but clever idea for helping people learn computing.
• superficially ingenious or witty : a story too clever and tidy to be real.
• dated [usu. with negative ] informal sensible; well-advised : it wasn't too clever, leaving Dolly alone.

PHRASES

too clever by half - informal annoyingly proud of one's intelligence or skill and in danger of overreaching oneself.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
ßöмßäяdîëя;1530854 said:
But it's a word...

clever |ˈklevər|
adjective ( cleverer , cleverest )
quick to understand, learn, and devise or apply ideas; intelligent : a clever and studious young woman | how clever of him to think of this!
• skilled at doing or achieving something; talented : he was clever at getting what he wanted | she is clever with her hands.
• (of a thing, action, or idea) showing intelligence or skill; ingenious : a simple but clever idea for helping people learn computing.
• superficially ingenious or witty : a story too clever and tidy to be real.
• dated [usu. with negative ] informal sensible; well-advised : it wasn't too clever, leaving Dolly alone.

PHRASES

too clever by half - informal annoyingly proud of one's intelligence or skill and in danger of overreaching oneself.
Still sounds funny.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
ßöмßäяdîëя;1530894 said:
But your mother tongue does use the same alphabet, unlike his...
The rule is quite simple.

Besides, a German is faced with basically the same problem, but I don't see the Germans on this forum do the same. Which is why I wonder why he does it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)