US Army Sergeant Goes Berserk (6 Viewers)

OP
Fred

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
  • Thread Starter #201
    Can't you look for the truth and have an independent & consistent opinion regardless of what the whole world think? Do you approve of the hypothetical treatment the hypothetical Afghan would have to be subjected to?
    If an Afghan man randomly killed 15 innocent American's i'd be strongly for the death penalty as well.

Buy on AliExpress.com

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    +rep to Hoori. Couldn't have voiced it better myself. However, the guy still needs to be punished, even if he's found of being mentally ill. I don't see how life in an asylum is any better than the death penalty tbh.

edit: nvm, I can't rep her. hugs 4 lyfe instead.

Lilith

Immortelle
    May 19, 2006
    I pity the guy. Something else is to blame. He is going to be punished for what he's actually himself a victim of. To kill 16 innocent civilians and live with the consequences of this crime (even if left unpunished) will ruin his entire life and those who sent him to where he shouldn't be are to blame.

This is what prolonged wars could turn the sanest people into. You kill and you see your friends getting killed beside you. Talking about humanity or crying over it in the most inhuman product of mankind is ridiculous.

When I read the article this was exactly what went through my mind.

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    The man is clearly not suited for living in the society for which the ones who sent to and kept him in the war are to blame. He needs to be treated in the right way because he is obviously ill, mentally but even if he ever recovered, he'd surely have to live his entire life with the consequences of this crime so he's never going to have a normal life again for which again those who sent him to the war are to blame.

The main focus has to be on the US getting the hell out of Iraq and Afghanistan instead of looking for a scapegoat in the poor guy who's himself a victim of the US government stupid policies.
    You're talking as if he will regret what he did ever!
    He is a criminal and should be held accountable for what he did in front of an Afghan court just to pave the way for the relatives of the dead to make sure no more idiots will dare to do the same thing.

That i agree with, as it would prevent future incidences like this from happening again hopefully. But this guy should be trialed and held accountable, without a doubt. I personally believe he deserves nothing less than the death penalty, taking into consideration the pain he has caused to the families of the deceased(which a lot of you seem to disregard), and taking into consideration, the fact that it was completely unprovoked. If this was an Afghan man, who killed Western civilians, the whole world would be singing a different tune, he'd probably end up in Guantanamo, getting tortured and wishing they'd have killed him instead.
    Exactly. If an Afghan did that, the Americans will tell you that he deserves a fair trial, but "by coincidence", he will be found later hanged in his cell in Guantanamo.

OP
    Fred

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
  • Thread Starter #207
    You're talking as if he will regret what he did ever!
    He is a criminal and should be held accountable for what he did in front of an Afghan court just to pave the way for the relatives of the dead to make sure no more idiots will dare to do the same thing.

Exactly. If an Afghan did that, the Americans will tell you that he deserves a fair trial, but "by coincidence", he will be found later hanged in his cell in Guantanamo.
    After experiencing all kinds of torture...

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    I suppose it opens up too many cans of worms.
    It would mean the military would have to admit that the war is unjust, unwarranted, etc. Also, it would kind of shit on the whole "soldiers are held at a higher standard of responsibility" honor, duty bullshit mantra.

I'm sure people already hold the military responsible and there will probably be a bunch of Op-Eds reflecting that as the trial comes and goes.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    It's kind of odd how no one has thought "gee maybe this guy wasn't crazy when he was recruited into the military 11 years ago". Perhaps something happens inside of a person over the span of a decade of combat? Nah, that's just silly.

OP
    Fred

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
  • Thread Starter #213
    It's kind of odd how no one has thought "gee maybe this guy wasn't crazy when he was recruited into the military 11 years ago". Perhaps something happens inside of a person over the span of a decade of combat? Nah, that's just silly.
    Perhaps some of us care more about the families of the deceased than the criminal in question.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Perhaps some of us care more about the families of the deceased than the criminal in question.
    Spare me bro. I don't think anyone here feels that this guy is in anyway deserving of vindication for his actions.

I'm just responding to all the stupid "why did Americans recruit such a person" comments.

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    I been through civil war as a kid, and know of enough personal stories that would suprise the fuck outta most people (friendliest people you would imagine butchering everything in sight after going through hellish unimagineable experiences), but this fucker should never see the light of day still after what he did (not death penalty). Punishing him is only thing that is doable, because we all know nothing will ever happen when it comes to the policies/ machinery that put him there.

OP
    Fred

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
  • Thread Starter #216
    Spare me bro. I don't think anyone here feels that this guy is in anyway deserving of vindication for his actions.

I'm just responding to all the stupid "why did Americans recruit such a person" comments.
    On reading your post again, i see the point you were trying to make and i agree.

I been through civil war as a kid, and know of enough personal stories that would suprise the fuck outta most people (friendliest people you would imagine butchering everything in sight after going through hellish unimagineable experiences), but this fucker should never see the light of day still after what he did (not death penalty). Punishing him is only thing that is doable, because we all know nothing will ever happen when it comes to the policies/ machinery that put him there.

Key point here, unfortunately.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Where do I disagree with anything you just posted?

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    I'm not saying you do, mentionned war experience part to support your post about what combat does to people (some posts here have been too black and white on that part).

But nontheless only thing really relevant to discuss is more or less his punishment, because nothing will change it terms of what put him there, nor is it an excuse, even if its an obvious reality.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    I'm not saying you do, mentionned war experience part to support your post about what combat does to people (some posts here have been too black and white on that part).

But nontheless only thing really relevant to discuss is more or less his punishment, because nothing will change it terms of what put him there, nor is it an excuse, even if its an obvious reality.
    I was simply responding the the idea that the fellow was recruited as a nutcase.

There are many relevant discussions to be had. The punishment/outcome is just one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)